GusterandMabel

Dec 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Mabel
Looking for some advice! My girl, Mabel, has been battling a systemic yeast infection lately. In an effort to help kill off the bad bacteria naturally, I picked up Tomlyn pre & probiotic yesterday for her. I sprinkled a packet on her food at dinner and a few hours later, she had hives on her back left leg. I gave her a half dose of Benadryl and she went to bed shortly after. This morning, I woke up to her vomiting in her crate and absolutely covered in hives. Not sure what exactly was causing them, I gave her a bath in Davis benzoyl peroxide shampoo and then a full dose of Benadryl. After an hour, the itching seemed to lessen, but as of now (2:45 PM Eastern) she is still covered in huge hives. She doesn't seem to have any trouble breathing and is resting comfortably, but I'm pretty concerned. Is it possible that she had an allergic reaction to the probiotics? I should also mention that she is due for her heat soon as I know that can mess with things, too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If she had nothing else different she could be allergic to the probiotics,though I have not heard of it. She could also have been bitten by something/spider/'bug. The vomiting is a worry. I would give her two benedryl-1 for each 25 lbs. If she gets any other symptoms or vomits again, I would take her to your veterinarian. Hives do take awhile to go away. Someone else here may have some more thoughts for you. One of my dogs is allergic to bites, and I keep some prednisome on hand.

OP
GusterandMabel

GusterandMabel

Dec 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Mabel
If she had nothing else different she could be allergic to the probiotics,though I have not heard of it. She could also have been bitten by something/spider/'bug. The vomiting is a worry. I would give her two benedryl-1 for each 25 lbs. If she gets any other symptoms or vomits again, I would take her to your veterinarian. Hives do take awhile to go away. Someone else here may have some more thoughts for you. One of my dogs is allergic to bites, and I keep some prednisome on hand.

Due to autoimmune issues, I happen to have prednisone here. I'm wondering if that may help...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Due to autoimmune issues, I happen to have prednisone here. I'm wondering if that may help...

Stick to Benadryl only. Donā€™t give antibiotics or any meds especially when you donā€™t even know whatā€™s wrong just yet. If the Breathing is fine thatā€™s great. Just keep an eye on the breathing. Duke my white face had hives all over last year. Donā€™t know what it was but gave Benadryl n it went away.

OP
GusterandMabel

GusterandMabel

Dec 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Mabel
Stick to Benadryl only. Donā€™t give antibiotics or any meds especially when you donā€™t even know whatā€™s wrong just yet. If the Breathing is fine thatā€™s great. Just keep an eye on the breathing. Duke my white face had hives all over last year. Donā€™t know what it was but gave Benadryl n it went away.

She started vomiting so I took her to the ER vet this evening. They gave her a shot a Benadryl and of steroids. She's doing much better tonight! Vet agreed it was most likely the probiotics. Crazy bulldogs and their allergies!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], they did give pred. after all.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
She started vomiting so I took her to the ER vet this evening. They gave her a shot a Benadryl and of steroids. She's doing much better tonight! Vet agreed it was most likely the probiotics. Crazy bulldogs and their allergies!

Iā€™m glad it was narrowed down and taken care of. The words ā€œlikely, if, maybeā€ are big strong words. Still keep your eyes open. Iā€™m very on the holistic side as most knows. Why I will always give example fermented sauerkraut, frozen green tripe before any capsules of probiotics. It does the exact same job. The proper foods has just as much power if eaten n taken on regular basis than any supplements. Same rule for humans. Rule of thumb, the more colourful the produce, the more vitamins your eating the less supplements you need. Same rules for dogs. I give, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, apples, cauliflower, berries, celery, green beans, bananas, the list goes on n on n on. Started with one item at a time for 2weeks before adding a new one for allergies purposes and also building up their immune system. I do buy organic as much as I can buy not always. Just a thought if you want to save on supplements n giving real food instead.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], they did give pred. after all.

Yes...you probably know me by now :) Iā€™m just the type to try one thing at a time to narrow it down. Iā€™m not a fan of bombarding meds when I donā€™t even know which med was the one that would of worked on itā€™s own. 200% if itā€™s a life or death situation, yes do what has to be done...no brainer there. But heh, thatā€™s ā€œmoiā€. :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is your girl today?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.