URGENT!!! HELP! EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA EVERY HOUR FOR 4 DAYS!

Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Looking for tips or advice on what to feed my dog for his diarrhea. He was Neutered on Thursday and since Friday he has had diarrhea every 1-2 hours for the past four days now. Its just pure liquid. And I can tell hes starting to have a sore bum, because he will not come near us if he sees a tissue in our hands! We switched him to the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Energy and it doesn't seem to be working. Other than the diarrhea he seems fine. Any help or advice is welcome!!! THANKS! :D

image1.JPG

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Poor little baby!!! I would definitely call the vet that neutered him and let them know what is going on. I know there is usually a concern of constipation after surgery but not the other way around. See if they can recommend an Imodium dose that is safe for him. Good luck!!!

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Hey, thanks for the super fast reply. We've already been to the vet twice!!! They don't seem too concerned and wanted to wait before prescribing more medication because he is on the pain killers for his surgery. But I am worries because his stitches are so close to his bum... He keeps dragging it because it must be irritated. Plus my husband and I are getting no sleep! I'm thinking of trying a bland diet of chicken, rice and plain yogurt. I just don't know the right serving amount for him. So confusing! :(:mellow:

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hello and welcome!
How old is George? He looks beautiful!
There are much more experienced Bulldog owners than me on here and I'm sure they will provide you with great advice...I'll just give you my two cents.
You don't want to switch food on him, especially if it's not gradual as that can cause him to have diarrhea. For upset stomach we usually boil white rice and mix it with a little bit of kibble for our guy. Make sure he is hydrated and is drinking plenty of water.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Hello and welcome!
How old is George? He looks beautiful!
There are much more experienced Bulldog owners than me on here and I'm sure they will provide you with great advice...I'll just give you my two cents.
You don't want to switch food on him, especially if it's not gradual as that can cause him to have diarrhea. For upset stomach we usually boil white rice and mix it with a little bit of kibble for our guy. Make sure he is hydrated and is drinking plenty of water.

THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!!! George is 8 months. I will definitely give white rice a try. I will try mixing that in with his kibble. We are giving him 1 1/2 cups twice a day. So total of 3 cups. Do you cut down on kibble when mixing in rice? How much rice do you use?

:)

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!!! George is 8 months. I will definitely give white rice a try. I will try mixing that in with his kibble. We are giving him 1 1/2 cups twice a day. So total of 3 cups. Do you cut down on kibble when mixing in rice? How much rice do you use?

:)

Typically we feed him 1 and 1/3 cup twice a day. When he had an upset stomach we boiled 1 cup of white rice and did 1/4 cup of the kibble to entice him to eat.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You might be able to put some barrier on his poor little butt too. Vaseline or desitin? It will be messy but might make his bottom feel less sore

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Tried 12 hours and he was still going every hour. I will try 1:1 ratio of rice and kibble at first.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
You may want to start off with a little bit less as the rice can be filling and right now you just want your bully's body to stabilize. I know some people fast their bully for 12-24 hours if there is diarrhea.
[MENTION=18175]KingGeorgeTheBulldog[/MENTION] OMG!! George is soooo Cute!! I would contact the Vet, but also FAST that baby, it will give the digestive system and bum time to REST, then SLOWLY introduce the the Rice and food.

Hang in there, I have been there with the poopies.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh my he is stinken cute!!!! Yea, I too believe at this point he needs to fast but still wonder why he's doing it :(

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
You may want to do a search on here for Royal Canin. I have read where the more knowledgeable bully parents advise AGAINST it.

In addition, I hope he will not become dehydrated. I have always had luck mixing pumpkin in with the rice, and feeding no kibble when they have tummy trouble. Make sure he also has plenty of fresh water.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... fast for 24 hours and then bland diet.

RC is not a good food... lots of grain and fillers .. look into a high quality food to get him on

Here are a few many have great results with, no particular order

Fromm
Zingature
Earthborn Holistic
Acana
Orijen

Also has the vet checked poo for and parasites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey, thanks for the super fast reply. We've already been to the vet twice!!! They don't seem too concerned and wanted to wait before prescribing more medication because he is on the pain killers for his surgery. But I am worries because his stitches are so close to his bum... He keeps dragging it because it must be irritated. Plus my husband and I are getting no sleep! I'm thinking of trying a bland diet of chicken, rice and plain yogurt. I just don't know the right serving amount for him. So confusing! :(:mellow:

Like mentioned bland diet 24hrs n YES get him off RC. Also drop the yogurt for now as it’s dairy. Also add to the bland diet pumpkin purée the 100% pumpkin not for pies one. Vet should be concerned after 4days! Odd in my opinion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online