URGENT!!! HELP! EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA EVERY HOUR FOR 4 DAYS!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Fasting is good,
But I wouldn't go longer than 8 hrs,
fasting for food, NOT water

Just give his GI Tract rest,and
then slowly give white rice
The real stuff, not the minute rice

Then, if it seems to have slowed down,
Slowly add maybe chicken broth to the rice,
then begin adding his regular food

he may have one of those super sensitive GI systems, and when this is all over, look into a daily probiotic supplement

Every Sunday night, Ty & Cricket, get a big dollop of plain yogurt for that reason

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone has already given you great advice. I agree that Royal Canin is not a good food choice, too many fillers like grains and corn. If the diarreha started after his surgery and he was fine before, it may just be his stomach is upset by the surgery itself, it takes a while for the anesthetic and medications used during surgery to leave his body. Offer him lots of water to help him flush out the anesthetic. Also the pain medications he's taking could also be causing his stomach to be upset, and will stop once he's finished the meds. I've also heard that being in pain can also cause nausea and upset stomach. Could he maybe be in pain still? I would definitely follow up with the vet, 4 days of diarreha seems like a long time, and you don't want him to dehydrate. Does he have a fever? The vet should check his stool, and also check his temperature to rule out a post-op infection. I hope he feels better soon.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Hi everyone has already given you great advice. I agree that Royal Canin is not a good food choice, too many fillers like grains and corn. If the diarreha started after his surgery and he was fine before, it may just be his stomach is upset by the surgery itself, it takes a while for the anesthetic and medications used during surgery to leave his body. Offer him lots of water to help him flush out the anesthetic. Also the pain medications he's taking could also be causing his stomach to be upset, and will stop once he's finished the meds. I've also heard that being in pain can also cause nausea and upset stomach. Could he maybe be in pain still? I would definitely follow up with the vet, 4 days of diarreha seems like a long time, and you don't want him to dehydrate. Does he have a fever? The vet should check his stool, and a
so check his temperature to rule out a post-op infection. I hope he feels better soon.

Wow you guys! Thank you all for the great advice! we added a bit of rice to his diet ladst night and this morning and he wents about 6 hours between his poops! So thats an improvement!

and WOWWWW about the Royal Canin.... my vet always raves about it and says that a great food. I guess for other dogs MAYBE it is? Bu tit make sense as to why they would promote RC since they sell it there!!

I am going to look for a different type of kibble for Geroge and slowly switch him over to that. We were thinking about maybe swtiching him to boiled chicken breast and pumpkin puree for good but I think well have to do some more reading on this. I did not now how bad it was!

THANK YOU GUYS!:)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, put him on white rice with a bit of kibble on top, or even better just blocks of chicken till diarrhoea stops completely. Donā€™t be afraid that he will get less as anyway he cannot really digest well now, imagine, you see that his anus is irritated and sore, the same is inside. So giving normal amount of food is just overloading his system and everything comes out undigested. Basically dogs improve even better in case of severe diarrhoea if you put them on complete hunger for 24 hours and after that start with bland diet.
I would recommend boiled rice with chicken blocks on top 1 cup 2 times a day. No yogurt for now. If he is better, after 2 or three days add kibble and transfer him gradually to normal diet.
personally I donā€™t believe in kibble and home cook for my dog, he eats boiled beef with sweet potato and some supplements.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Yeah, put him on white rice with a bit of kibble on top, or even better just blocks of chicken till diarrhoea stops completely. Donā€™t be afraid that he will get less as anyway he cannot really digest well now, imagine, you see that his anus is irritated and sore, the same is inside. So giving normal amount of food is just overloading his system and everything comes out undigested. Basically dogs improve even better in case of severe diarrhoea if you put them on complete hunger for 24 hours and after that start with bland diet.
I would recommend boiled rice with chicken blocks on top 1 cup 2 times a day. No yogurt for now. If he is better, after 2 or three days add kibble and transfer him gradually to normal diet.
personally I donā€™t believe in kibble and home cook for my dog, he eats boiled beef with sweet potato and some supplements.

Thanks for the tip. Tried rice and kibble last night and he seems better already!

I just made another post about switching to a new kibble or cooked food. Because Royal Canin is getting so much hate right now!

and I want whats best for my baby bully!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Wow you guys! Thank you all for the great advice! we added a bit of rice to his diet ladst night and this morning and he wents about 6 hours between his poops! So thats an improvement!

and WOWWWW about the Royal Canin.... my vet always raves about it and says that a great food. I guess for other dogs MAYBE it is? Bu tit make sense as to why they would promote RC since they sell it there!!

I am going to look for a different type of kibble for Geroge and slowly switch him over to that. We were thinking about maybe swtiching him to boiled chicken breast and pumpkin puree for good but I think well have to do some more reading on this. I did not now how bad it was!

I had the same experience with Royal Canin when I bought my two guys from the breeder. He gave me two buckets of Royal Canin, and money off coupons for this food. I asked him if it was a good food, and he told me it was. I also asked my vet and since she sells it in her office, she also said it was a good food. Veterinarians are like Doctors as far as Nutrition goes, they only do a chapter on Nutrition in Medical School. Their education focuses on diagnosing and treating diseases. I read the label and ingredients on the Royal Canin and questioned the corn and grains and other fillers. I started doing my own research, which is how I found the English Bulldog Mews site. I clicked on the Dog Food Ratings and that's how I chose Fromms.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We've already been to the vet twice!!! They don't seem too concerned...
Who is "They"? "EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA EVERY HOUR FOR 4 DAYS!" IMO, it's absolutley insane that a Vet wouldn't be, at least, concerned with dehydration. The #1 cause of dehydration is vomiting and diarrhea.

and WOWWWW about the Royal Canin.... my vet always raves about it and says that a great food. I guess for other dogs MAYBE it is?
It's not good food for any dog. Your Vet likes it because he profits from sales of it and what little nutritional education your Vet has probably came from the Sales Rep of Royal Canin. It's tolerated by some dogs more than others...on its best day.
If you haven't already, I recommend stopping the pain meds now. The benefits of pain meds at this point is likely zero. Keep following the advice given here and start a search for a new Vet...one with a vast knowledge of Bulldogs.

brunoking

Apr 20, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bruno
hi there! sorry to hear about your little angel. its hard to accept when they are suffering. english bulldogs are very very sensitive to diet. many have allergies to chicken, try ground turkey!!! much much better for him. you will see. get organic pumpkin babyfood and mix in. no rice!!! another potential allergy. please trust me on this! white rice sux!!! i cant speak to using medicines and such as I am not a doctor. we don't use them often. some benadryl from time to time. i agree with the rest period of 12 to 24 hrs. butt hats hard too. you may be worried about him thinking he's being denied food as a punishment or some bs like that. yikes. its easy to let your mind go to dark places when you're overtired and worried. don't. not helpful. stay positive and give lots of encouragement and affection. love is powerful. every dog is different.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
hi there! sorry to hear about your little angel. its hard to accept when they are suffering. english bulldogs are very very sensitive to diet. many have allergies to chicken, try ground turkey!!! much much better for him. you will see. get organic pumpkin babyfood and mix in. no rice!!! another potential allergy. please trust me on this! white rice sux!!! i cant speak to using medicines and such as I am not a doctor. we don't use them often. some benadryl from time to time. i agree with the rest period of 12 to 24 hrs. butt hats hard too. you may be worried about him thinking he's being denied food as a punishment or some bs like that. yikes. its easy to let your mind go to dark places when you're overtired and worried. don't. not helpful. stay positive and give lots of encouragement and affection. love is powerful. every dog is different.

Hi n WELCOME!!!

Great post. Sadly Itā€™s an older thread :)

We love to see photos of your dog though :yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.