Help Needed! Paw Dermatitis

ddt1959

Jan 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby Lynn
My bulldog has Pododermatitis and it on antibiotics. The first one they changed after 2 weeks because she wasn't getting any better. It started on 2 paws but now is starting on another one. I was told to also wipe her feet down with babywipes with vinegar and soak her feet in epsom salts and water. She seems to be getting worse instead of better. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. She is on a grain free, no chicken, or potato diet. She was taking pills for allergies but has been on them for over a year. They were not working as well because she has gotten use to them.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I was recently told that my bully is susceptible to get a fungus on his feet/paws because he is on immunosuppressants. The vet told me to wipe his feel off each time he comes back into the house and to wash his feet twice a week. Could Shelby Lynn have a fungal infection? Also, I have another dog who had dermatitis on his belly. As it turned out, he was diagnosed with low thyroid and is now taking meds. His skin is completely clear in less than a month. The vet did all sorts of skin scrapings, etc. Maybe ask more questions of your vet or look for a second opinion?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Ketoconazole is our go to treatment for yeast...it's fast and effective.
Pics of paws please.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
can you post a picture

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
TREATING COMMON ALLERGY FLARE UPS

YEAST & BACTERIA - Yeast is a Bulldog owner's worst enemy! Many Bulldogs may be diagnosed by a Veterinarian of having allergy problems, when they actually have a yeast infection. Yeast infections are commonly caused by allergies, they seem to go hand-in-hand in most cases, especially in Bulldogs. If yeast makes its way into your pet's ears, wrinkles, tail pocket, vaginal fold, nose ropes, or any other warm cozy and moist areas, it can grow and spread quickly.

So what does yeast look like? Well, that is a difficult answer. Many Bulldog owners may describe it as a dark brown-reddish substance. However, a culture of that "substance" may bring back different forms of bacteria and fungus, as it is not likely that it is only yeast overgrowth. Us Bulldog owners know it looks bad, smells awful, and itches. Unless you get a culture done at your vet you will not know exactly what you are dealing with. This is why it is a good idea to treat and maintain with products that kill both fungus and bacteria.

Yeast or Bacteria Under the Paw Pad

Abnormal Swollen Paw

Inside of ears should not be disgusting and complete fully of gross stuff.
You should have just a little wax and dirt when you clean them.

There are many products you can use to fight these creepy microscopic critters. Keeping all the wrinkles, ears, tail pockets, under paw pads, vulva, etc. clean and dry is very important. Stay on top of the problem. If you are having a problem with these areas, you will need to clean them at LEAST once a day, twice a day is better, until they are completely resolved. Then every few days and maintenance cleanings should only be necessary.

Yeast hates vinegar! Adding a small amount of Apple Cider Vinegar (the kind that is "From the Mother", not the generic kind) to their food or water can help kill yeast. You can also mix 1 cup of vinegar (white vinegar is fine in this case) to bath water after you have rinsed all the soap off. Do a "final rinse" with this water.

Yeast loves warm moist places! Using baby wipes alone to wipe wrinkles will probably make things worse! You are only adding moisture to these areas and making the yeast happy. Baby wipes are great to use first, but you should always follow up with something that will actually kill the bad bacteria and yeast that is left behind. Visit our Recommended English Bulldog Grooming Products forum to see what other Bulldog owners are using.

There are theories that say if you remove potatoes and glutens from the diet then it stops the yeast growth. There are many cases where this theory makes complete sense. However, there is also a lot of information that also negates these theories. It seems more likely, that if removing potatoes from the diet worked, then your Bulldog is actually allergic to potatoes.

If your Bulldog is allergic to beef, for example, and you feed a food that has beef in it, you will lower their immune system, allowing the yeast to attack. All skin, our pets and our own, has good bacteria and bad bacteria. If you eat something you are allergic to, your body lowers its immune system, does not generate enough good bacteria to fight off the bad, and this is when these problems take over. This includes bacterial infections, yeast, mites/mange, hot spots, etc. The most important thing is to remove the offending item from the diet. If you Bulldog is not allergic to potatoes, then they probably will not have a problem with yeast overgrowth. However, you should never choose a diet with a ton of potatoes in it anyway. A good quality kibble should have a limited amount of glutens in it. I myself have several Bulldogs who eat food that have potatoes in it, and I have rarely had any problems with yeast. One of my bulldogs did get a yeast infection, and removing potatoes from her diet did not improve her condition, nor did it prevent a reoccurrence. The only thing that helped was Pharmaseb shampoo with a vinegar rinse and it ended up that her yeast was never diet related. Once cured, there has been no reoccurrence.

When I did my first food change, Molly was covered in yeast. Yeast on her paws, wrinkles, ears....boy did she stink. I thought that was how Bulldogs were supposed to smell. I switched her to a different food and within 3 weeks she was yeast and bacteria free. This had nothing to do with glutens or potatoes, it had everything to do with finding a food with ingredients in it that agreed with her.

Molly Before & After

Members online

No members online now.