Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My English Bulldog is a Fawn/White piebald. His Face is white, and I have noticed that he has alot of PINK coloring on his muzzle and around his eyes. The intensity of the 'pink' changes during the day - when he was seen by the Emergency Vet, she asked me if there was anything wrong with his Face,
and she indicated the possibility of "allergies". Has anyone experienced this with their Bulldogs?
Could he have a food Allergy (Breeder was feeding him Eukanuba). The Vet also indicated he has some 'bumps' on his muzzle - little red spots - which may appear like an allergic reaction. So she gave him Benadryl, and recommend liquid Benadryl during the day to relieve the reaction and itching.
Thanks for any input.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Hi Maximus, welcome to English Bulldog News.

Yes, your bulldog could have allergies. What food is he currently on? You should switch him to at least 4 star dog food, that is grain and corn free. I really like Avoderm, and I will let other owners pitch in with their favorites for allergies here as well.

This could definately be the cause of the "pink", as well as the pimples. Also make sure you are feeding out of ceramic or stainless steel bowl- no plastic. He could be allergic to the plastic. Wash to bowl after each feeding to remove bacteria.

After he is done eating and drinking, wipe his face, just as you would for a baby who ate spaghetti. If he is rubbing his face after he eats, this can cause even more allergic reactions and lead to your second problem, the entropion- I will now reply to that thread. Once you have the problem under control with a good food, you may no longer have to do the wiping down of the face.

Although you should wipe your bullies face daily, to make sure the wrinkles are clean.

We would love to see some pictures of your boy :) How old is he?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi -

Thank you for the reply. "Maximus" is 5-months old. Currently, he is on Eukanuba, however, I am weaning him off of this very quickly and he is now getting 1/2 INNOVA Large Bite Puppy food .
He eats and drinks out of Stainless steel bowls. I clean his face and wrinkles daily - I wipe them out with either cotton balls or Puppy Bath wipes, than use DESITIN ointment to keep the area dry in
the wrinkles. The poor little guy has been hit with so much since I got him.......first an ear infection, than Giardia, he is also currently teething and losing baby teeth, now the "allergies" and entropion.
I feel so sorry for him. He's only 5-months old .....I will be sure to get some PICS of him posted. And thank you again for your kind reply.

- Patrick ~

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Sounds like you are doing the right thing- innova is good food (for now- it was recently bought by proctor and gamble, who ruins all good dog food).

I would check the ingredients of innova tho, to make sure it is not too high in protein (over 30%), and make sure it is grain and corn free. Sometimes even the best foods that are rated 6 stars are not necessarily good for our bullies because they have those ingredients.

When did the redness start? Before the dog food switch or after? Sometimes a bully can be allergic to one ingredient, and dog food ingredients vary tremendously.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi -

Actually, "Maximus" arrived with a PINK face. So I quess I can only attribute it to the fact that the breeder was feeding him the Eukanuba. The INNOVA Puppy Food does NOT have Corn - however, it does have Barley, Rice, and Brown Rice. The Protein content is 24%. I don't believe Rice per se is a problem or an ingredient that causes allergies. But let me know your thoughts ............

Thanks.

~ Patrick

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
my boy turns very pink if he eats lamb. Is the innova lamb or chicken or fish? Even dog snacks that have lamb in them are enough to cause him to turn. Also I am guessing the innova doesnt have beet pulp but if you feed snacks that do that would be enough to turn him pink also. Mostly I have found that if a dog snack is pink or dark in color it tends to turn my boy pink. These bulldogs are sensitive like no other it is amzing to me. My pug could eat anything and be happy and fine but my bully has gone thru so many different types of foods trying to find the perfect mix. As for the pimples on his chin you can clean with mal-a-ket wipes which should help keep them away. (Also works well in the folds and nose wrinkle too.)

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi -

The INNOVA is Chicken and Turkey. No Lamb. He is a puppy and at 5-months I do not feed him any type of Doggie-Snack. The "pimples" are not really pimples, but "bumps" which the Vet said are more of an allergic reaction, they are red and the skin around them is red. My PUG has Puppy-acne and clearly has Pimples, I normally clean them with Stridex Pads. I don't seem to be able to find the Mal-a-Ket
wipes anywhere ...........

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
hmmm...... Maybe it will slowly clear up with the food change then. The mal-a-ket wipes I get on amazon, not sure if they have them in pet stores or not.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Another thing to watch for is sunburn. White faced bulldogs are more prone to sunburned faces (according to my vet) Almost like a red headed child. And it doesn't take very long in the sun.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.