Help Needed! Cluster seizures/hypoxemia. Plz help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - the closest on that list is in Carrollton about 2.5 hours away. That may be doable, I will call them Monday morning.

Call today.. see if open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Anvil of Oak

Anvil of Oak

Mar 9, 2018
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cracker Jax
Call today.. see if open

I just got off the phone with them. They are going to call me back today or possibly Monday morning. Saturdays are extremely busy and hectic according to the tech. I am going to send them his health log(i keep a detailed journal of his health).
Thank you [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just got off the phone with them. They are going to call me back today or possibly Monday morning. Saturdays are extremely busy and hectic according to the tech. I am going to send them his health log(i keep a detailed journal of his health).
Thank you [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

I hope they can see him today... I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers [emoji1317][emoji177]

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Chumly would pass out (syncope) from his CHF and he had very heavy panting. He never coughed though which can be another symptom. Texas A & M is absolutely brilliant, by the way. If all else fails, I would definitely consider making the drive. I have never heard a bad thing about them. My son took his elderly Lab with severe arthritis and they helped a lot. His was not an emergency so he had to wait 2.5 months for an appointment.

Good luck and sending lots of hugs his way.

OP
Anvil of Oak

Anvil of Oak

Mar 9, 2018
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cracker Jax
[MENTION=18120]Anvil of Oak[/MENTION] so sorry you both have to go through all of this? There are other members that went through what your going through. Iā€™ll tag them.... Iā€™m more on the holistic side but for sure I would be seeing my vet if it was an issue like yours. For the breathing part, lungs needs to open up and I know it works as I do this on regular basis for my dogs. Itā€™s a diffuser n essential oils. Often for seizures a higher fat diet helps the brain to stop with seizures like the keto diet. Also works on dogs. Ketogenetic was made for epilepsy patients and tons of studies proves it help to get ride of epilepsy. Just a thought you might want to look into. Attached are mixtures of essentials oils that will help your dog. I do it n others too. Let me tag others hang on.

Respiratory/Colds ...Get a diffuser. Mine was on nights even above her kennel and you can also leave it on daytime. I leave it all day so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. I basically leave my diffuser on 24/7

8 drops of Eucalyptus
8. drops of Peppermint
8. drops of Lavender
5 drops of Lemon
2drops tea tree

Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear health.Spray on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in ears.In a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae. (Or cedar or thuja)

Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Below is a link one of our member uses Frankincense essential oil to STOP tremors on his little guy Sausage. Check it out! Good job [MENTION=6424]Tank1023[/MENTION] !!

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.monte...14983522840126

This is my little guy sausage he has idiopathic tremors. We use frankincense essential oils on pads and ears and it goes away.

[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].

I just got home from work. He is a little slow this morning, but looks a little better. I left a diffuser on with a little bit of frankincense last night and it seemed to calm him down quite a bit. I don't have access to any oils right now other than frankincense, myrrh, and some mixture called "relaxation", so I plan to order some this morning. I just want to thank everyone for their kind words and suggestion so far.

Are their any oils to specifically avoid and/or any to limit exposure to? I am finding a lot of conflicting information via google.

We are hoping to make it to Carrollton either Tuesday or Wednesday. I know there is a bulldog rescue center nearby, we may stop in for a visit.

EDIT: [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] the link in your post appears to be broken; very interested in reading about it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just got home from work. He is a little slow this morning, but looks a little better. I left a diffuser on with a little bit of frankincense last night and it seemed to calm him down quite a bit. I don't have access to any oils right now other than frankincense, myrrh, and some mixture called "relaxation", so I plan to order some this morning. I just want to thank everyone for their kind words and suggestion so far.

Are their any oils to specifically avoid and/or any to limit exposure to? I am finding a lot of conflicting information via google.

We are hoping to make it to Carrollton either Tuesday or Wednesday. I know there is a bulldog rescue center nearby, we may stop in for a visit.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] ... oil suggestions?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

EDIT: [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] the link in your post appears to be broken; very interested in reading about it.

Hereā€™s a link on oils. Frankincense can be used directly. One of our member his dog had tremors and was videotaped onto FB. You see the dog completely stop his terming after he rubbed one drop of frankincense in each ear, one drop for each inner paw pads.

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.montella.9/posts/10214983522840126

Itā€™s also on page 11 on the link below. Also read the whole link below BEFORE using EO on dogs. Do will need. Carrier Oil like coconut oil, almond etc. and some EO you can use direct.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils-11.html

OP
Anvil of Oak

Anvil of Oak

Mar 9, 2018
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cracker Jax
Update on Jax:

Jax is roaming around more. Still panting quite a bit, but not as bad. Still anxious and he just doesn't seem himself. He will be doing fine for a little while then his panting and anxiety will pick up, his heart will get irregular and very fast. He's pacing a lot, and begging for attention. He's been very affectionate. His vision has greatly deterioated since that last major seizure. His peripheral vision seems non-existant. His hearing seems to have dropped off a bit. When he takes a long nap his tongue is turning a slight bluish/purple again, but no seizures since starting back on phenobarbital. It turns pink shortly after he awakens. He seems to relax a lot more when the frankincense is in the diffuser. He is ALWAYS hungry and sometimes freaks out when he can't find food(I am guessing this is a side effect of the pheno?) His poop is solid and good. His pee stream is weak, but clear. Circulation to his legs seems poor.

The vet, when they heard his age, seemed to lose enthusiasm. I can get a referral to the imaging place in Fort Worth for an ultrasound. However, both our vehicles had problems this weekend. Hers in going into the shop today. And my work truck keeps dying on us. So right now we are trying to get our vehicles sorted. I did check Uber, but not sure if they would let me have Jax go that far, and if other drivers in Dallas would be pet friendly as well. With Uber, the driver makes that decision. (Uber needs a pet-friendly tag.)

If I can't get him to Dallas this week, I will get another blood panel done locally on Friday and discuss options with them. I might be able to run him to Shreveport in Louisiana.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update on Jax:

Jax is roaming around more. Still panting quite a bit, but not as bad. Still anxious and he just doesn't seem himself. He will be doing fine for a little while then his panting and anxiety will pick up, his heart will get irregular and very fast. He's pacing a lot, and begging for attention. He's been very affectionate. His vision has greatly deterioated since that last major seizure. His peripheral vision seems non-existant. His hearing seems to have dropped off a bit. When he takes a long nap his tongue is turning a slight bluish/purple again, but no seizures since starting back on phenobarbital. It turns pink shortly after he awakens. He seems to relax a lot more when the frankincense is in the diffuser. He is ALWAYS hungry and sometimes freaks out when he can't find food(I am guessing this is a side effect of the pheno?) His poop is solid and good. His pee stream is weak, but clear. Circulation to his legs seems poor.

The vet, when they heard his age, seemed to lose enthusiasm. I can get a referral to the imaging place in Fort Worth for an ultrasound. However, both our vehicles had problems this weekend. Hers in going into the shop today. And my work truck keeps dying on us. So right now we are trying to get our vehicles sorted. I did check Uber, but not sure if they would let me have Jax go that far, and if other drivers in Dallas would be pet friendly as well. With Uber, the driver makes that decision. (Uber needs a pet-friendly tag.)

If I can't get him to Dallas this week, I will get another blood panel done locally on Friday and discuss options with them. I might be able to run him to Shreveport in Louisiana.

Thanks for updating... continuing to send lots of prayers and positive thoughts to him

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
Hey, sorry to hear what you're going through. We lost our bully last month to a brain tumor and some of the examples you listed we dealt with too (vision seemed like it was getting worse, pacing, hearing, and peripheral vision issues.) I pray this isn't the case but just thought you would wanna be aware & possibly mention this to your vet. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Thanks Joe

OP
Anvil of Oak

Anvil of Oak

Mar 9, 2018
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cracker Jax
[MENTION=18120]Anvil of Oak[/MENTION] any updates???

Trying to get into cardiologist for echocardiogram, but their appointments are limited and fill up fast. Our vehicles are in the shop at the moment. Looking like we won't make it to the cardiologist until next week or the week after.

Jax is doing, meh, he wants to play, but we try to keep him as calm as possible. Sometimes he is panting heavily, other times he is lethargic. He's developed twitches in his sleep, and occasional tremors. He's currently on pheno(side effects) and Lasix. I don't like the side effects of the pheno but it is the only med that has stopped those intense seizures. (They got up to 6 minutes long.) It's hard to tell sometimes what is a side effect of his meds, and what is related to his problem. His tongue is no longer turning purple during long naps. Every morning when I get home I panic a little approaching the door, wondering if he'll be there to greet me or not. He loves people and is such a good family dog. It hurts keeping him away from all the excitement, but i know we have to.

His blood test yesterday showed heightened alkaline phosphatase levels(over 700), everything else looked good. Not sure if this is due to other issues or not. Vet said it isn't too high for a dog on pheno... Idk though.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18120]Anvil of Oak[/MENTION], have you tried like mentioned frankincense n a diffuser in the house where he hangs around the most? The recipe I gave you will help with the breathing and open lungs means oxygen flowing through the blood which is what he needs. I cannot tell you what to do as itā€™s a personal decision and up to you. But I can guarantee you that if it was one of my dogs I would be putting the diffuser above the kennel or where they sleep. Just a thought. :)

OP
Anvil of Oak

Anvil of Oak

Mar 9, 2018
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cracker Jax
[MENTION=18120]Anvil of Oak[/MENTION], have you tried like mentioned frankincense n a diffuser in the house where he hangs around the most? The recipe I gave you will help with the breathing and open lungs means oxygen flowing through the blood which is what he needs. I cannot tell you what to do as itā€™s a personal decision and up to you. But I can guarantee you that if it was one of my dogs I would be putting the diffuser above the kennel or where they sleep. Just a thought. :)

Yes, I mentioned in a prior post(or i thought i did) that I am using frankincense in a diffuser like you suggested. It does seem to help him chill out a bit and breathe steady. Thanks for the suggestion. He's been sitting around with me all morning and occasionally going outside to bark at the neighbors cat. lol

Edit: Just a random thing - I found Jax's sister on the adoption page, dated back to 2013. We fostered her for a bit before returning her to the rescue where she was rehomed and eventually found a furever home. Small-world! I wish we would have found this site sooner!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.