He just ate a toxic plant

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
My puppy managed to jump up into a raised garden bed and ate the bulb of an amaryllis. According to Google its toxic. Should I just watch him? So far no vomiting or diarrhea, he's eating and drinking ok. The poison control charges a fee, should I call? The vet didn't have an answer they referred me to poison control.

I also read EB puppies shouldn't jump, but mine does and I can't stop him. He can *almost jump up onto my sons trampoline! I expected a lazy dog & got the opposite of that.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
how long ago did he eat it.

give about 2 oz of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Thanks. It was 3-4 hours ago. He is still eating and drinking and acting fine, so maybe he chewed up and spit out more than he swallowed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks. It was 3-4 hours ago. He is still eating and drinking and acting fine, so maybe he chewed up and spit out more than he swallowed.

keep a very close eye on him... and as suggested, peroxide will induce vomiting. Depends on how much he ate if he will have a reaction

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

I would agree with Clermont for the Hydrogen Peroxide if he had just swallowed the plant, but since it's been 3 or 4 hours it won't work because he's already digested it by now. If he hasn't shown any signs of illness by now, he's probably okay. I would continue to watch him for any signs of vomiting, diarreha or signs of being lethargic. My dogs have eaten grass and plants from outside and been okay, and my female Blossom has a habit of earring cigarette butts. They are supposed to be toxic, but she has never gotten sick from them, she usually poops them out. Dogs have a different and stronger stomach acid than we do so I think sometimes they can tolerate things better. I hope he's okay. Please keep us posted.

Members online

No members online now.