Rattling puppy

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Just a little new mama worry here, but our puppy has a rattle whenever he drinks or eats. Think like when a child has croup. He's been with us a month, and we've had two small (think 50 cent piece) size vomits which were right after he ate and mucous covered.

This has been going on for the month we've had him (rattle) and it doesn't seem to bother or stop him. Any thoughts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So he is roughly 12 weeks old?

Any rattle or congestion with a puppy makes me nervous so I would have him checked by a vet.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hank had a strange 'rattle' as well but vet checks always came out clear. I still say, take um to the vet as so young things can progress rapidly. Hanks never came of anything and when he had his naires and palate fixed, the rattle went away. Which, still baffles me because to me,, it sounded chesty..

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It’s good that you are aware of it. Be prepared to act quickly if it worsens. In our experience this kind of issue is usually associated with enlarged palate...something that may need correction in the future.
Keep monitoring and at the first sign of worsening, see your Vet.

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We have been to the vet, and of course, while there....no rattle.

He doesn't do it all the time. It seems to be only after he drinks or eats and not even all time then. When he does it he sometimes acts as if he is trying to blow congestion out of his nose, but nothing comes out. Think baby breathing with croup. It is not there more often than not, and never when he is sleeping.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
sounds to me,,,,,,,,,, inexperienced but........... like the palate thing. Just typical with these guys it seems but the surgery does take care of it if its that. I dont know if they can outgrow it??? or grow into the palate?? Hanks was done at about 11months as i recall ...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It kinda broke mine too but................. the results are fantastic!! we did naires and palet and entropian eyes all at the same time (the worst is the fear of them going under the anesthetic) but really, even the cost wasnt horrendous for all those things making him so much more comfortable. Dont feel bad, it is so common (unfortunate) but dont worry yet,, you still just may luck out :)

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Talked to the breeder. She said to wait and see as he grows if this doesn't change that she's had them grow out of it...I love this breeder, and trust her. Her dogs are top rate and health is the number one concern...so we wait, fingers crossed and hope!

It kinda broke mine too but................. the results are fantastic!! we did naires and palet and entropian eyes all at the same time (the worst is the fear of them going under the anesthetic) but really, even the cost wasnt horrendous for all those things making him so much more comfortable. Dont feel bad, it is so common (unfortunate) but dont worry yet,, you still just may luck out :)

Members online

No members online now.