Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I had to take my English Bulldog to the Emergency Vet because he was pawing and scratching at his eye. I find out he has a scratched Cornea and Enropion, which will require surgery. Does anyone know about this Surgery and how much this surgery should cost ?
Thank you.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
The surgery would cost about $250-$500 probably, depending on your vet.

I would not go to that extreme yet though. You mentioned he has a scratch on his eye, and if he has been rubbing that eye, his face could be swollen causing the entropion to be there.

You mentioned in the other topic allergies. Allergies can cause the eyes to swell and water, make them itch. I would first try switching his food. You would much rather find the source of the allergy.

Eukanuba is a 1 star food, full of fillers and who knows what road-kill. I know because I was also feeding Iams myself, (eukanubas partner brand), and THOUGHT I was feeding a good quality food.

Once I switched to a great food- the difference was unbelieveable. I was happy, yet dissapointed in myself for feeding my beloved bullies what I now call "the equivelant of eating nothing but TV dinners and potato chips for humans". You may have to try a few to find the one that is best for your bully. His stools should be firm and solid. Also if the bag says to feed 3-4cups per day, cut that down too. If you bully is a puppy, that may be ok, but if he is an adult, depending on the amount of exercise he gets is how much you should feed.

Remember while switching your dogs food, you must do this over a period of at least 4 days. 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food for 1-2 days. 1/2 and 1/2 for 2 days minimum, then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for at least 2 days. Then fully on the new food. It may take up to 2-3 weeks to see the difference in your dogs overall appearance.

Also make sure the treats are grain free as well, and giving frozen baby carrots as a snack (especially in the summer) is something your bully will probably love, and it is good for them. :)

Here is a link to the dog food ratings: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html

If he is still having problems with entropion once you got his allergies under control, only then would I have the surgurey done.

Did they give drops for the eye and the entropion?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi -

When I received "Maximus" he was being fed Eukanuba from the Breeder. I am quickly weaning him off of this food, and feeding him INNOVA large-bite Puppy food. Yes, the VET at the Emergency room gave me Neo-Poly-Bac Ophthalmic Ointment for his eyes - I have to administer the ointment 3-times per day for 5-days and I have to take him back to the VET on Thursday to see the condition of the corneal scratch.

I will be glad when "Maximus" is feeling better, and I know I'm moving in the right direction by changing his food to INNOVA (Which my PUG is also on). INNOVA is a 5-Star Food. I will not feed either of my dogs less.

Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted on Max's condition this week ........

~ Patrick

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
That is awesome to hear. I surely hope he doesn't need surgery.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
The food change should help big time like bulldog said. Sadly I fed eukanuba too, my breeder also recommended it. If it wasnt for boards like this I would have still thought I was doing the best for my boys. And for that price my gosh you can buy a lot of better foods really.
You mentioned you have a pug also, me too. Pics? Funny how they are so similar to the bullies but quirkier.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have never been a proponent of Eukanuba ---- my PUG breeder also had my Pug on Eukanuba when I bought her - I quickly changed her food to INNOVA Puppy food, now she is on Innova Adult food.
I tried her on Buffalo Blue, Wellness, Solid Gold - none of which she would eat - she really only likes Innova. I'm hoping "MAXIMUS" will too. Yep, I have pics of the PUG and soon will have pics of "MAXIMUS" that I will share with everyone .......I love my Puggie, she is so sweet, I've had her since she was 8-weeks old. She is very different from "MAXIMUS". He is more laid-back. She is a crazy clown ! LOL.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah, there are breeding programs with certain foods, like Eukanuba, Nutro, Royal Canine, Natural Balance, and many others. The company sends a welcome kit with all sorts of great stuff for the breeder to put together a nice "puppy package", and in return they send in UPC symbols from dog food and get free dog food. (I think Eukanuba has one of the best programs for breeders, 2 bags purchased, get one free, but I could be mistaken). This cuts the breeders cost down a lot- but geez, at the expense of the puppy, and then the puppy owners feel that "IF THE BREEDER SAYS IT IS GOOD FOOD IT MUST BE". *sigh*. :(

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Sad! And when you get them from very reputable breeders you really do trust what they say. I guess money is more important huh?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have had MAXIMUS for less than one month. Since he arrived, he has had to be treated for an Ear infection, Giardia, and now a scratched cornea and Entropion. Yes, he came from a "reputable breeder" who was licensed and inspected annually. This poor little guy, only 5-months old is just not getting a break. When I contacted the breeder to let her know what the Vet found on his initial visit, she got very defensive. But the bottom line is that his ears were filthy, and he had Giardia. He has been on two courses of Antibiotics and now is on eye drops, eye ointment and Benadryl for his severe allergies from the Eukanuba the breeder was feeding him. So yeah, I guess it really was all about "MONEY"!

emangan

May 21, 2010
Hi, one of mine had entropion vet tacked first less invasive and fixed thankfully I would ask if that is option as well .

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
MAXIMUS now has a Corneal abrasion and Ulcers in both eyes. He is wearing an E-Collar, and has to have Antibiotic eye-drops 6x a day, along with Antibiotic ointment. He has an appointment to see the Opthamologist on Wednesday, so I will know than what surgical options I have for treating the Entropion.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
MAXIMUS now has a Corneal abrasion and Ulcers in both eyes. He is wearing an E-Collar, and has to have Antibiotic eye-drops 6x a day, along with Antibiotic ointment. He has an appointment to see the Opthamologist on Wednesday, so I will know than what surgical options I have for treating the Entropion.

OMG that sounds awful. I hope he gets better! Is it from rubbing his eyes? Poor thing.... give him a hug from all of us....

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE: Re: Entropion surgery for my bulldog.....

"Maximus" did see the Opthamologist, and the good news is he does not have to have the Entropion Surgery. One reason is he is to young, so for the time being, the Opthamologist used "Staples" to bring his eye-lid into correct position and eliminate the lid further irritating the eye. The corneal laceration is still present, so Maximus is on Antibiotic eye drops, but he looks and feels much better.
The E-Collar had to be removed, because the area under his skin and his neck got irritated and red and raw, so I had to clean the area with antibacterial shampoo and remove the collar.
The Giardia is still being treated and his diet now is restricted to a Bland beef & rice meal, with added Probiotics and some kibble thrown in .............

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.