Food, health concern, or behavior issue?

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I'm already thinking I might need to get a bigger freezer to really stock up lol.
I did The Honest Kitchen for maybe 2 or 3 months and as dinner only. My experience with it was good, never had any issues but then I switched to the frozen raw for Louie's dinner.

Maybe I can try dinner only to see how it goes, depending on cost. I'll check it out.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I am wondering if you could change the feeding to just 2x a day to elminate the constant pooping? How is he drinking? How often is he allowed to go out? [MENTION=18050]Delaney24[/MENTION]

He drinks a lot! I work from home so he's out back from 7 or 8a til 3:30 (he comes in for my breaks and lunch) and then he's in the house. I take him out every hour or 2 in the afternoon/evening until he gets crated for the night. I take him out at 9pm before crating for bed, then midnight, 3am, and again at 6am.

I could try 2x day but I thought puppies needed 3x day?

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
PS I'm exhausted I really miss a full nights sleep, lol...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He drinks a lot! I work from home so he's out back from 7 or 8a til 3:30 (he comes in for my breaks and lunch) and then he's in the house. I take him out every hour or 2 in the afternoon/evening until he gets crated for the night. I take him out at 9pm before crating for bed, then midnight, 3am, and again at 6am.

I could try 2x day but I thought puppies needed 3x day?

3x is good for that age..I too said I forgot how much work a puppy is n Duke is a damm handful even at one! All about time n patience. I work from home too but yes sleepiness nights are there. I solved that by trying something at 4-5months old. Put duke in my bed even though I’m against that. Did it for 2months. Bugger NEVER got up once till next morning. So basically it trained his intestines to hold it in cause he was too comfortable. Little Sh*t. :w00t:

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
PS I'm exhausted I really miss a full nights sleep, lol...
Aww, you poor thing. @2BullyMama is 2x a day ok for a puppy?

I could swear we split in 2 meals as a puppy, not 3, but can't be sure. May give his colon a break. I am shocked he's going so much with all the potty breaks you provide, and in the crate too.

As for the smell, I liked this shampoo. It had a nice coconut mild smell but not too perfumed to irritate. (here's a link, you may find it cheaper elsewhere - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A3Y0E...65&hvtargid=aud-416395350856:pla-307860425479)

Wipe the booty well, including the tail pocket. Keep as dry as possible. I used anti fungal power in folds and between toes if they ever got damp and/or red. I know the smell you speak of. We had to wash bedding every week in hot bleach water and the crate too. By Fri, it reeked, so matter what we did.

PS I hate to ask and don't want to alarm you, but has your baby been tested for parasites recently? @Delaney24

Also, when you changed the food, did you do it gradually? Has he always pooped this much? How long have you had him?

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Aww, you poor thing. @2BullyMama is 2x a day ok for a puppy?

I could swear we split in 2 meals as a puppy, not 3, but can't be sure. May give his colon a break. I am shocked he's going so much with all the potty breaks you provide, and in the crate too.

As for the smell, I liked this shampoo. It had a nice coconut mild smell but not too perfumed to irritate. (here's a link, you may find it cheaper elsewhere - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A3Y0E...65&hvtargid=aud-416395350856:pla-307860425479)

Wipe the booty well, including the tail pocket. Keep as dry as possible. I used anti fungal power in folds and between toes if they ever got damp and/or red. I know the smell you speak of. We had to wash bedding every week in hot bleach water and the crate too. By Fri, it reeked, so matter what we did.

PS I hate to ask and don't want to alarm you, but has your baby been tested for parasites recently? @Delaney24

Also, when you changed the food, did you do it gradually? Has he always pooped this much? How long have you had him?

I asked the groomer if he had a tail pocket because I had no idea what that was til reading this site. She said he doesn't have one. How do I know for sure? That might be the smelly problem as I've never cleaned it if he has one!

I did the switch very gradual as I had already bought the RC and didn't want to waste my money or upset his system.

He has not been tested for parasites. He was given a dewormer when he got his shots. Is that the same thing?

We've had him 5 weeks. He went from 18 lbs to 24 lbs in this time. Maybe he's over fed? He seems small for a bulldog but the vet told me he's perfect and healthy. Maybe I should post a pic?

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I asked the groomer if he had a tail pocket because I had no idea what that was til reading this site. She said he doesn't have one. How do I know for sure? That might be the smelly problem as I've never cleaned it if he has one!

I did the switch very gradual as I had already bought the RC and didn't want to waste my money or upset his system.

He has not been tested for parasites. He was given a dewormer when he got his shots. Is that the same thing?

We've had him 5 weeks. He went from 18 lbs to 24 lbs in this time. Maybe he's over fed? He seems small for a bulldog but the vet told me he's perfect and healthy. Maybe I should post a pic?

Ohhhh, we'd love a pic!!! When was he last at the vet? I think puppies maybe get a series of worming? Is there an appt coming up anytime soon? I don't know why but this sounds like possible coccodia to me - only because a friend went through this with her dog, same thing as you have described. Can you look it up symptoms and check if anything matches? Again, I do NOT want to scare or alarm you, it could just be too much food but I'd want to rule everything out. Puppies do poo more, but what you are saying just sounds frightening to me. They can do a fecal possibly if the pooping doesn't stop. I'd worry about dehydration too.

The tail pocket - hmmm, can you read about tail pocket (click on the link) and possibly get a baby wipe and rub it up around under the tail and see if it comes out dirty? With all the pooing, it has to be a bit funky around that area.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Ohhhh, we'd love a pic!!! When was he last at the vet? I think puppies maybe get a series of worming? Is there an appt coming up anytime soon? I don't know why but this sounds like possible coccodia to me. Can you look it up and check? Again, I do NOT want to scare or alarm you, it could just be too much food. Puppies do poo more, but what you are saying just sounds frightening to me.

The tail pocket - hmmm, can you read this tail pocket and possibly get a baby wipe and rub it up around under the tail and see if it comes out dirty? With all the pooing, it has to be a bit funky around that area.

He was at vet Feb 1st. I just pulled out the paperwork and it looks like they did a fecal exam? I never heard back from them so I assume it was ok. They did roundworms, hookworms, rabies, dapp, bordetella. He needs next round of some of those in Aug.

Luckily it doesn't seem like Concordia since it's not runny or mucus you, it's just a lot!

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I don't know how to size that down.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He was at vet Feb 1st. I just pulled out the paperwork and it looks like they did a fecal exam? I never heard back from them so I assume it was ok. They did roundworms, hookworms, rabies, dapp, bordetella. He needs next round of some of those in Aug.

Luckily it doesn't seem like Concordia since it's not runny or mucus you, it's just a lot!
When i don't hear from a doctor's or a vet, trust me I will call even if they have to tell me it's all good.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 111216

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's perfect! I LOVE HIM!
I wish I had an answer for you on the pooing. I am so glad to hear it's not sounding like could be anything parasite-y!!! Can you call the vet possibly and just let them know you were in recently and he's pooing, A LOT? You're doing everything you're supposed to be doing, and more! I'd assume too he was fine when they didn't call but can't hurt to call and check!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When I first put Monty on Zignature, he had huge poo's several times a day! We wondered where it was all coming from! (Monty is an adult dog though, not a puppy). It lasted a few weeks then slowly went back to normal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 111216

- - - Updated - - -

Holy cuteness!! Not getting a call back is normal, they only call when the tests results in a finding ... nothing found no issues.

Tail pocket is under the tail above the anus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.