Food, health concern, or behavior issue?

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I have a 5 month bulldog we got a little over a month ago. He came to us with no training and on Beneful puppy food. He smelled very bad even after having a bath. Vet suggested we switch to Royal Canin so we did. Later the same week (after reading here) I realized RC wasn't the best choice so I slowly switched him from Rc to Zingnature lamb. For the past week he's been on Zingnature only with some added sardines or pumpkin or Apple on occasion.
He get 2/3 cup 3 times per day with an extra 1/3 cup in a Kong.
He's approx 24 lbs.
He still smells bad! Not yeasty, just like a wet smelly dog who has not been washed (though he has)
We got him groomed Sunday and by Tuesday the smell was back.
But it's the pooping that is most concerning.
He goes at least 6-9 x per day!
He is going in his crate at night and all over the house even after being taken outside to go. I wake up every 3 hours all night long and he still has accidents in the crate in between.
Is it the Zingnature?
Health concern?
Am I bad at training him?

I have never had a bulldog, never had a puppy for that matter so I'm clueless here.
Oh and it looks like he got cherry eye last night but that's another topic I guess.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

I would stop all the adds... and just feed the Zingnature, process of elimination and you want a few weeks of just the food to see how he is adjusting to it. See if this helps..... also, might be too much food for him?
How do the poo look when he goes... solid, runny?

This article might help too...

English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
The article was helpful thanks!
It soft but not runny.
I'll stop the adds and maybe decrease the amount of Zingnature too and see if it helps.
Poor guy already acts like we starve him, lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It soft but not runny.
I'll stop the adds and maybe decrease the amount of Zingnature too and see if it helps.

Please keep us posted --- good luck

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
It soft but not runny.

AAAHHHH, he acts like he's still starving, and frequent runny poop's
I had the same issue with Ty -i'm a newbie too by the way- just like you different foods, pumpkin, even about 3 trips to the vet nothing helped,

ya know what it turned out to be?!?! the little S#!thead was eating to fast!!!!
got one of those dishes that are designed to make them eat slowly, results immediatley, no more frequent poo and it firmed up a bit.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
AAAHHHH, he acts like he's still starving, and frequent runny poop's
I had the same issue with Ty -i'm a newbie too by the way- just like you different foods, pumpkin, even about 3 trips to the vet nothing helped,

ya know what it turned out to be?!?! the little S#!thead was eating to fast!!!!
got one of those dishes that are designed to make them eat slowly, results immediatley, no more frequent poo and it firmed up a bit.

We got a slow feeder but he's still having the issues. We got him this one:
https://outwardhound.com/catalog/product/view/id/445/s/fun-feeder-mat/category/7/
Is there a better one you use?

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
https://outwardhound.com/catalog/product/view/id/445/s/fun-feeder-mat/category/7/

For bulldogs especially you want to use a stainless steel bowl. This one looks like its some type of plastic?

This is the one we got for Moose, but I am thinking of getting a different one. It definitely slows him down, but I feel like it's not enough:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-In...8-2-spons&keywords=slow+feeder+dog+bowl&psc=1

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Like mentioned stop topping see what happens. Duke has a slow feeder almost like yours. If you wash it after each meals and dishwasher at night there is no issue. Especially at that age but heh, mostly any age mind you, they would eat non stop. They’re dogs. Duke use to poop often like that at the same age as yours. Started to give him half raw n half Acana and that went to 5poops to eventually 4 etc. Now he’s on full raw n goes once or maybe twice.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Thanks! I didn't know it should be stainless steel, I'll try that one. I wonder if I can find a maze bowl but in stainless steel to further slow him down? I also read in a book to add water to the kibble to make him feel fuller, but so far that doesn't make a difference.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Like mentioned stop topping see what happens. Duke has a slow feeder almost like yours. If you wash it after each meals and dishwasher at night there is no issue. Especially at that age but heh, mostly any age mind you, they would eat non stop. They’re dogs. Duke use to poop often like that at the same age as yours. Started to give him half raw n half Acana and that went to 5poops to eventually 4 etc. Now he’s on full raw n goes once or maybe twice.

Good to hear it will get better! I've thought about raw but wouldn't know how to start plus I don't have the freezer space.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to hear it will get better! I've thought about raw but wouldn't know how to start plus I don't have the freezer space.

Then go dry raw. Just add water...
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] or [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]. will take the list out for you :). Hang on

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

So feeding raw is actually pretty easy and it is so good for them but freezer space will be necessary. I ended up buying a small stand-alone freezer to keep in the garage for the food. You might be able to do it with just using your regular freezer, you just wouldn't be able to really stock up. If or when you determine you would like to try...we will all be here to help you as quite a few of us have been feeding raw.

If you wanted to try a dehydrated raw, The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's are both good brands. Some people have experienced their dog pooping quite a bit more when fed this but it could still be a good option.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So feeding raw is actually pretty easy and it is so good for them but freezer space will be necessary. I ended up buying a small stand-alone freezer to keep in the garage for the food. You might be able to do it with just using your regular freezer, you just wouldn't be able to really stock up. If or when you determine you would like to try...we will all be here to help you as quite a few of us have been feeding raw.

If you wanted to try a dehydrated raw, The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's are both good brands. Some people have experienced their dog pooping quite a bit more when fed this but it could still be a good option.

I got a standup freezer in the garage too loll...
I didn’t do much dehydrated as I went straight to frozen raw. Why I thought of you guys as you guys did it longer than me.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I got a standup freezer in the garage too loll...
I didn’t do much dehydrated as I went straight to frozen raw. Why I thought of you guys as you guys did it longer than me.

I'm already thinking I might need to get a bigger freezer to really stock up lol.
I did The Honest Kitchen for maybe 2 or 3 months and as dinner only. My experience with it was good, never had any issues but then I switched to the frozen raw for Louie's dinner.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I am wondering if you could change the feeding to just 2x a day to elminate the constant pooping? How is he drinking? How often is he allowed to go out? [MENTION=18050]Delaney24[/MENTION]