13 month old female bulldog still has not had first heat

zmoney411

Mar 30, 2011
I was wondering if this is a common thing in bulldogs she is my first female. I talked to her vet and he said its common the bigger the dog the longer it can take. He doesn't specifically specialize in bulldogs though. I was just wondering if I could hear about anyones past experiences with this.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
She may have had what my vet explained to me as a "silent heat". He says sometimes the first heat is so little, you don't even notice it. I would not be concerned with it. My Yuna is having what I thought was her first heat at a year and a month old, and he told me that was not likely, and that I missed the 'silent' heat because she did not bleed much or not at all. I don't know if this is the case, but he sounded very confident about it.

I also moved this topic to "Your Bulldogs Health" so others can find it easily in the future. :up:

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Yes, I was going to say the same thing...a lot of English Bullies go through a silent heat...my grandmother used to breed bullies and it actually happens more then you think...you just don't realize they are in heat, because they bleed very little and you miss it.

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
This makes me feel better!! I was wondering about my little girl too.......Thanks for the insight!

L

Lucy-licious

Wish Lucy was going through a silent heat....but No! in typical Lucy style she has to shout it from the rooftops
But nearly over now thankfully my pretty baby girl is slowly coming ack to me...she's more snuggly today :D

Having said that I also have heard that silent heats are very common in Bullies so try not to worry too much :)

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
My Mello just came out of heat..."a silent heat" the only way I knew she was in heat is that she was a little swollen and my males were right there all the time.... but if you don't have a male in the house it can go by without notice.... There was no bleeding.

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=689]catorres8988[/MENTION] don't worry too much...just give her pleny of snuggles is what someone here told me and she will be just fine :)

OP
Z

zmoney411

Mar 30, 2011
thanks for your help everyone I don't know if she has had a silent heat or not. I have checked her pretty regularly since she was about 6 months old and haven't noticed anything. I don't have a male dog so there is no way to tell that way.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.