Mallred

Feb 24, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I am new on this forum, and this is my first posting. I have enjoyed reading all the information here since we got Henry 11 months ago. We have been on biweekly visits to the vet since December trying to figure out source of his rashes. They showed up at the time we have a lot of bees and pollen in the yard with unseasonably warm weather in December, so we assumed it was environmental. We tried Benadryl and some OTC creams to no avail. Henry tested negative for mites and yeast. These are the prescriptions that we have tried/prescribed on our visits to the vet:

Antibiotics for secondary infections, have done this twice already.
TrizCHLOR, a shampoo with hydrocortisone
TRizCHLOR wipes for the paws.
Cytopoint injection for environmental allergies. (24 hours after the injection, there was a massive improvement, rashes were disappearing. Within three days they started to come back with a vengeance to the current stage as seen in picture).

The last prescription Was for D/D duck and potato hills prescription diet. After reading some of the food recommendations on this forum, I'm not sure this is the way to go. We are at a loss of what to do, as well is the vet. She has recommended that we see a dermatologist.
Any advice from experienced bulldog owners would be greatly appreciated. Wondering if this is food related because the Benadryl and Cytopont failed to work. We are at a loss for what to do to help Henry. He seems as playful as ever, Just A lot of licking and uncomfortable looking rashes.

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpeg
    IMG_0851.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 289

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
OMG!!!
Poor boy!!!!

Sounds like the vet has covered about all his bases
Except maybe for a fungal issue, even though it tested neg. For yeast.
But then again what do l know, I'm a nurse not a vet.

Maybe it is a food issue.
Try doing some homemade stuff like the goulash recipe someone posted here a few days ago.
Worth a try.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Would try frozen raw food for a few weeks then if he's not better see a dermatologist.
Also try coconut oil , turmeric,ginger, probiotics ( eg. Proviable DC, Probiotic Miracle ) , fish oil supplements ( squeezed out of capsule ) at same time, since they all improve coat.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18081]Mallred[/MENTION]. Remove the kibble as it’s absolutely not going to help as it’s full of grains. You definitely need ONE protein per bag and see how he does on it. Acana, Fromm Zignature does one protein per bag. Start with lamb since you already had duck in his kibbles. If you can go raw you’ll eliminate a whole lot of health problems. What kind of detergent you use to wash his beddings? Asked the vet to give you a shampoo called Duoxo. You can also buy it on Amazon. From your photo I don’t see blisters or anything but just redness. Is it also on his back, ears etc or just underneath? If it’s only under I would definitely check your detergent, where he’s laying down. Also what [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] mentioned.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
[MENTION=18081]Mallred[/MENTION]. Remove the kibble as it’s absolutely not going to help as it’s full of grains. You definitely need ONE protein per bag and see how he does on it. Acana, Fromm Zignature does one protein per bag. Start with lamb since you already had duck in his kibbles. If you can go raw you’ll eliminate a whole lot of health problems. What kind of detergent you use to wash his beddings? Asked the vet to give you a shampoo called Duoxo. You can also buy it on Amazon. From your photo I don’t see blisters or anything but just redness. Is it also on his back, ears etc or just underneath? If it’s only under I would definitely check your detergent, where he’s laying down. Also what [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] mentioned.

I like Nellie's washing soda from Costco- totally hypoallergenic, a bucket lasts 3 years.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I like Nellie's washing soda from Costco- totally hypoallergenic, a bucket lasts 3 years.

I’ll check it out. Didn’t see it at our Costco. AB Costco doesn’t have what east side has. Get this, they DONT even have veal!!!! Beef province NO VEAL. :faint: I got an organic detergent for the pup’s beddings.

OP
M

Mallred

Feb 24, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry

I picked up the prescription food, D/D duck and potato, but have not given it to him yet because of what I've read on here about food quality. Do you recommend I take that back and get Fromm lamb to start the food allergy trials? We have been using royal canine bulldog puppy formula since we brought him home, and that is with the breeder had recommended. I'm learning from this forum that may not be the best for him.

Yes the Red rashes are only on the underneath side his ears are a little red inside, 9no infection at last visit) there are no blisters, oozing, cuts, just Red burning look. The detergent we use is All free and clear, we were using Costco Kirkland Liquid capsules brand but found that everybody in the house was itching from that, that could be still in his bed…

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I picked up the prescription food, D/D duck and potato, but have not given it to him yet because of what I've read on here about food quality. Do you recommend I take that back and get Fromm lamb to start the food allergy trials? We have been using royal canine bulldog puppy formula since we brought him home, and that is with the breeder had recommended. I'm learning from this forum that may not be the best for him.

Yes the Red rashes are only on the underneath side his ears are a little red inside, 9no infection at last visit) there are no blisters, oozing, cuts, just Red burning look. The detergent we use is All free and clear, we were using Costco Kirkland Liquid capsules brand but found that everybody in the house was itching from that, that could be still in his bed…

Hills n RC are full of grains. Fit for cows not for dogs. That’s my 2cents on them kibbles. I personally would go back to Fromm Lamb. Now was he ok on the Fromm Lamb before all this happened? Also wash all his beddings as if you were all itching it’s a red flag. Do not use any softeners in the rinse but vinegar. A lot of hospitals uses only vinegar in the rinse so that says it all. And no it won’t smell vinegar once dry. I do it all the time. Also gets your whites white. :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge

Ohh, get his bed cleaned with something else and see how he does. I agree with the other posters, return the Hills, look for something with limited ingredients and grain free if you can't do raw. (I never could.) Our boy was allergic to potato though so was hard to find foods without them! He did very with with Earthborn Meadowfeast food.
Duoxo is a good shampoo, you can find it online. https://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhexidine-Shampoo-16-9-oz/dp/B000O1HEJ0I liked Dermabens myself. https://www.amazon.com/Dechra-DP02-...UTF8&qid=1519596966&sr=1-1&keywords=dermabens
Ask your vet if he may be a candidate for Apoquel or Atopica..... Pollen is horrible right now and could be bothering him too. I hope he's better asap!!! :mansfriend:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Another thought is what kind of flooring do you have? When we moved here, I had Chumly tested again for allergies and found out he was allergic to wool (amongst other things) and we had wool carpets just about everywhere in the house in the UK. They didn't test for anything like that there, just grasses. The poor dog could not escape. His belly was always red. Luckily, what capets we did have here were synthetic so we didn't have that particular problem anymore. Floor cleaners are another thing to be wary of. The only thing I use on my wood floors is Bona and that doesn't seem to affect Monty at all. Plain steam everywhere else. Hopefully, once you find out a food he can tolerate, that will help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Agree with the gang.... Royal Canin and Hills are so not good food -- Look into Zingature, Fromm, Acana ... as others have stated, start with a single protein. This is definitely an allergy reaction and as others said it could be something he is laying on or even the grass,

Please keep us posted

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ohh, get his bed cleaned with something else and see how he does. I agree with the other posters, return the Hills, look for something with limited ingredients and grain free if you can't do raw. (I never could.) Our boy was allergic to potato though so was hard to find foods without them! He did very with with Earthborn Meadowfeast food.
Duoxo is a good shampoo, you can find it online. https://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhexidine-Shampoo-16-9-oz/dp/B000O1HEJ0I liked Dermabens myself. https://www.amazon.com/Dechra-DP02-...UTF8&qid=1519596966&sr=1-1&keywords=dermabens
Ask your vet if he may be a candidate for Apoquel or Atopica..... Pollen is horrible right now and could be bothering him too. I hope he's better asap!!! :mansfriend:

I would not put dog on Atopica- has a lot more side effects than Apoquel or Cytopoint. Also, ketohex or curaseb are really good shampoos since they contain chlorhexidine and ketoconazole.

OP
M

Mallred

Feb 24, 2018
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I have him started on zignature lamb and lentil yesterday because of it being a single protein. I have also washed his bedding in hypo-allergenic detergent and rinsed with vinegar as suggested. Hope to see a change soon. Since he has had numerous meds, cytopoint, antibiotic, prednisone...I am holding off on more vet visits for now. Does anyone know how long it should take to see change in rash once he has a food he can tolerate? I will post update.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have him started on zignature lamb and lentil yesterday because of it being a single protein. I have also washed his bedding in hypo-allergenic detergent and rinsed with vinegar as suggested. Hope to see a change soon. Since he has had numerous meds, cytopoint, antibiotic, prednisone...I am holding off on more vet visits for now. Does anyone know how long it should take to see change in rash once he has a food he can tolerate? I will post update.

That’s like the million dollar question. No one knows for sure. But you are going on the right path and will see some changes. Start a journal if you need to. Food intolerance can be a challenge. Lamb might work but the lentils might not or turkey works but not the chicken or beef etc etc...why when someone starts fresh with their dogs good to keep track and at the same time you’ll know down the road what to avoid if there is any issues. Stick to single portions. After a month or so change to another single protein repeat so you’ll know what other protein he can tolerate or not. Your dog has taken a lot of meds n on your list antibiotics will bring down the immune system. You need to add probiotics with ant antibiotics like fermented sauerkraut (refrigerated one), kefir, plain Greek yogurt etc.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.