Could probiotic upset stomach?

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Hi all, I recently bought a probiotic from Herbsmith for my 2.5 year old OEB. Iā€™ve been only giving him one per day so far even though he could take two per day based on his weight.

Today his stomach has been upset and he just wants to eat grass and throw up. Could the probiotic be causing it?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all, I recently bought a probiotic from Herbsmith for my 2.5 year old OEB. Iā€™ve been only giving him one per day so far even though he could take two per day based on his weight.

Today his stomach has been upset and he just wants to eat grass and throw up. Could the probiotic be causing it?

The problem that you ALSO need to balance the probiotics with the PREbiotics yes itā€™s a PRE....prebiotic is already hanging in our colons just like dogs, cats etc...probably explains why your dog went to eat grass...read the link as it will be easier to understand.

Probiotics vs Prebiotics: Does Your Dog Need Both? - Dogs Naturally Magazine

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

What is he throwing up... food or bile? What are you feeding and how much each meal?

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
What is he throwing up... food or bile? What are you feeding and how much each meal?

He's throwing up bile - no food. We feed him Earthborn Holistic Grain-free Bison. He generally grazes on his food throughout the day, but can eat a maximum of 2-3/4 cups a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, he hasn't thrown up yet today but I hear his stomach gurgling and he's trying to find grass outside under the snow. I haven't given him the probiotic today though.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bile is usually a sign of hunger... if not throwing up food he might not be eating enough

So he get a total of 1.5 cups a day? If yes that is not enough fir him... needs two full cups a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
He's throwing up bile - no food. We feed him Earthborn Holistic Grain-free Bison. He generally grazes on his food throughout the day, but can eat a maximum of 2-3/4 cups a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, he hasn't thrown up yet today but I hear his stomach gurgling and he's trying to find grass outside under the snow. I haven't given him the probiotic today though.
I'd feed him 1x AM at least 1 cup and 1x PM at least 1 cup and PM give something to eat before bed (starchy) and something during day - our boy got grain free dog biscuits. After this, never any bile throw up. Some people recommend a piece of bread before bed. Did you mean up to 2 and 3/4 cups a day? I wouldn't allow grazing though....
If the bile vomit started with the probiotic and doesn't happen without it, perhaps try a different one?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhhh wait a minute thereā€™s a difference throwing up bile n throwing up food. Like Christine mentioned puppy is probably still hungry. Needs at least 2 cups a day and thatā€™s ā€œwithoutā€ counting the snacks. Fruits n veggies or grain free snacks.

Regarding probiotics n prebiotics I didnā€™t know of the brand. My mistake. I personally stopped giving probiotics as a supplement as I will give it through food. I would sprinkle a capsules on their food till I started to but green smelly tripe, fermented produce like sauerkraut, Kefir n more. I rather stick the food ā€œwayā€ as capsules will more expensive than food. But thatā€™s me.

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Sorry I should have clarified that heā€™s getting 2.75 cups per day but he doesnā€™t eat it all at one time. Iā€™m not sure how I could stop the grazing, or why. Heā€™s getting plenty of food.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Sorry I should have clarified that heā€™s getting 2.75 cups per day but he doesnā€™t eat it all at one time. Iā€™m not sure how I could stop the grazing, or why. Heā€™s getting plenty of food.
Did the bile start with the probiotic? Yes, he may be even getting too much. Is his weight ok? As for grazing, I've not sure, always just been told do 2 meals for bullies so they don't get hungry with healthy snacks. :)How's he doing today? I like @helsonwheels advice, or you can try Gentle Digest (I bought the chews (but had tried many including Pearls, and Prostora which I LOVED but got too expensive to ship cold and is now discontinued anyways European Food Safety Authority Rejects Prostora, a Probiotic Product for Dogs | The SkeptVet), which my vet highly recommended if you want to try something else. That worked well for our boy.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Ok-- so close to 2 cups a day but you free feed, right? Which is fine... but if not eating all of it through the day is causing the empty belly.

What brand and protein are you feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Herbsmith Microflora Plus contains not only probiotic. It contains several enzymes - amilase, protease, lipase, cellulase and bromelain and even papain! This is compete list of digestive enzymes necessary to digest food. So, what basically happens to your dog, her food is extremely fast digested with these enzymes and she is vomiting with bile because of hunger.
As a doctor I cannot understand why it is recommended as probiotic.
Usage of this medication must be limited to dogs with confirmed enzyme insufficiency. If you use it in normal dog, her natural enzymes will stop being produced. And she will be not able to digest without medicines.

My dog got severe diarrhoea and vomiting from it. I bought it as it was recommended here on site. Used 2 capsules and never going to use it again.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Herbsmith Microflora Plus contains not only probiotic. It contains several enzymes - amilase, protease, lipase, cellulase and bromelain and even papain! This is compete list of digestive enzymes necessary to digest food. So, what basically happens to your dog, her food is extremely fast digested with these enzymes and she is vomiting with bile because of hunger.
As a doctor I cannot understand why it is recommended as probiotic.
Usage of this medication must be limited to dogs with confirmed enzyme insufficiency. If you use it in normal dog, her natural enzymes will stop being produced. And she will be not able to digest without medicines.

My dog got severe diarrhoea and vomiting from it. I bought it as it was recommended here on site. Used 2 capsules and never going to use it again.

Bang on Missy!!!

Like I mentioned above, probiotics n prebiotics are best given as food. Why I stopped giving in capsules.

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Thank you all for that information. The reason I tried the Herbsmith probiotic is because my boy was exhibiting fly snapping syndrome, and I was/am trying to figure out what the cause of it is. Some say it's gastrointestinal related so I thought a probiotic might help. But I am fairly certain the probiotic is doing more harm than good, so I'm stopping it.

The fly snapping isn't happening as frequent as it was a couple weeks ago, and I think it's due to allergies so I will consistently give an allergy pill and see how that goes.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for that information. The reason I tried the Herbsmith probiotic is because my boy was exhibiting fly snapping syndrome, and I was/am trying to figure out what the cause of it is. Some say it's gastrointestinal related so I thought a probiotic might help. But I am fairly certain the probiotic is doing more harm than good, so I'm stopping it.

The fly snapping isn't happening as frequent as it was a couple weeks ago, and I think it's due to allergies so I will consistently give an allergy pill and see how that goes.

Did you have his ears checked? If itā€™s deep inside youā€™re not going to see it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.