OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Did you have his ears checked? If itā€™s deep inside youā€™re not going to see it.

The vet did check his ears but I don't know how deep she looked because they look clean on the outside. I wasn't in the room when she did it though, my husband was there. I'll ask my husband later if she just glanced at his ears or looked deep.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The vet did check his ears but I don't know how deep she looked because they look clean on the outside. I wasn't in the room when she did it though, my husband was there. I'll ask my husband later if she just glanced at his ears or looked deep.

And what did he say?

Do this...gets some REAL lavender essential oil n fractionated coconut oil. The fractionated coconut oil is clear like water. At your healthy food store. Put 2drops of lavender oil n 4drops of FCO on a cotton swab, and ONLY swipe inside the inner ear NOT in the canal! That will get rid of all yest n infection if any. It will NOT harm if you do this once a month as maintenance.

Attached is a link for maintenance on your bully. All bully or pets just like humans must be maintained. Like vehicles. Read it and I guarantee you, youā€™ll have a healthier, happy fur ball. There is a section where one of our members her bully had a bad ear infection which the vet gave antibiotics and never worked for months n months. She did her own EO mix and it disappeared! I to this day use this mixture for Nyalaā€™s tail pocket. Been a year and was amputation or oils. Well oils still working n even my vets asked for the recipe. Sheā€™s amazed.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Herbsmith Microflora Plus contains not only probiotic. It contains several enzymes - amilase, protease, lipase, cellulase and bromelain and even papain! This is compete list of digestive enzymes necessary to digest food. So, what basically happens to your dog, her food is extremely fast digested with these enzymes and she is vomiting with bile because of hunger.
As a doctor I cannot understand why it is recommended as probiotic.
Usage of this medication must be limited to dogs with confirmed enzyme insufficiency. If you use it in normal dog, her natural enzymes will stop being produced. And she will be not able to digest without medicines.

My dog got severe diarrhoea and vomiting from it. I bought it as it was recommended here on site. Used 2 capsules and never going to use it again.

A lot of owners here have benefited from the Microflora Plus, but if your dog didn't then you can certainly try other probiotics without the enzymes. I don't think it's healthy to be taking any probiotic with or without enzymes on a constant basis, as your body will adapt to both the bacteria and the enzymes. I just give my dog probiotics occasionally, and my kefir is being generated on a constant basis so it costs me nothing to give her it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
And what did he say?

Do this...gets some REAL lavender essential oil n fractionated coconut oil. The fractionated coconut oil is clear like water. At your healthy food store. Put 2drops of lavender oil n 4drops of FCO on a cotton swab, and ONLY swipe inside the inner ear NOT in the canal! That will get rid of all yest n infection if any. It will NOT harm if you do this once a month as maintenance.

Attached is a link for maintenance on your bully. All bully or pets just like humans must be maintained. Like vehicles. Read it and I guarantee you, youā€™ll have a healthier, happy fur ball. There is a section where one of our members her bully had a bad ear infection which the vet gave antibiotics and never worked for months n months. She did her own EO mix and it disappeared! I to this day use this mixture for Nyalaā€™s tail pocket. Been a year and was amputation or oils. Well oils still working n even my vets asked for the recipe. Sheā€™s amazed.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Also Zymox otic works great ! You flood the ears with it. Most important thing to preventing ear infections though is to get dog's allergies taken care of, ie. hypoallergenic dog food, usually raw food the best, and if dog has seasonal allergies then cytopoint injections may be required if antihistamines don't work.

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
So the vet did use the instrument to look deep inside his ears and they were fine. I have been using some unrefined organic coconut oil and rubbing it on the inside of his ears and once in awhile he'll even eat some if he's in the mood lol.

He did receive the cytopoint injections last summer for allergies and that did help him. We do use the Zymox ointment if his ears seem to be dirty. Thanks all!

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel, Alise, Pia & Piglet Wiggle Britches
I know you said you were stopping the Herbsmith Microflora Plus, so this is just for general information for others reading it in general. I believe you stated there was also prebiotics in there. Some dogs do not do well with prebiotics. So if you are trying anything with prebiotics and they are throwing up, you may want to stop it to see if it helps. I give mine a little bit of kefir with every morning meal. It seems to work with them. They don't get sick (very rarely), and they are happy, healthy bullies. I might just be lucky...but I hope the streak continues. I hope your baby improves super quick!!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
A lot of owners here have benefited from the Microflora Plus, but if your dog didn't then you can certainly try other probiotics without the enzymes. I don't think it's healthy to be taking any probiotic with or without enzymes on a constant basis, as your body will adapt to both the bacteria and the enzymes. I just give my dog probiotics occasionally, and my kefir is being generated on a constant basis so it costs me nothing to give her it.

I understand that if dog has some enzyme deficiency, it can benefit from Microflora Plus. But first you must make stools analysis for undigested proteins, lipids or fibres. Upon results, if dog lacks proteolytic, lipolytic or all enzymes, you can use this medicine. If you feed healthy dog with it constantly, dog will either eat more (as it gets hungry earlier because her gut is full of digestive enzymes) and get fat, or eventually itā€™s own enzymes will stop being produced.
You can compare it to human Creon or Festal. You wonā€™t recommend some person to self administer these enzyme medicines just to be able to indulge in food which normally would make your stools runny, right?
One case I see theoretically when dog which was administered Microflora can benefit from it, is the case when it had undiagnosed enzyme deficiency and by chance it is a match. Another case is, commercial food is so rich, many dogs cannot digest it and fart like crazy (bacteria digesting what dog host cannot and make excessive gas) and poops are loose, in this case these enzymes help to digest and dog stops farting so much and poops become harder. But that means that you actually artificially break with enzymes and force digestive system to absorb food which initially didnā€™t fit your dog, and itā€™s questionable benefit.
I believe, this medicine should be administered upon stools analysis results.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I understand that if dog has some enzyme deficiency, it can benefit from Microflora Plus. But first you must make stools analysis for undigested proteins, lipids or fibres. Upon results, if dog lacks proteolytic, lipolytic or all enzymes, you can use this medicine. If you feed healthy dog with it constantly, dog will either eat more (as it gets hungry earlier because her gut is full of digestive enzymes) and get fat, or eventually itā€™s own enzymes will stop being produced.
You can compare it to human Creon or Festal. You wonā€™t recommend some person to self administer these enzyme medicines just to be able to indulge in food which normally would make your stools runny, right?
One case I see theoretically when dog which was administered Microflora can benefit from it, is the case when it had undiagnosed enzyme deficiency and by chance it is a match. Another case is, commercial food is so rich, many dogs cannot digest it and fart like crazy (bacteria digesting what dog host cannot and make excessive gas) and poops are loose, in this case these enzymes help to digest and dog stops farting so much and poops become harder. But that means that you actually artificially break with enzymes and force digestive system to absorb food which initially didnā€™t fit your dog, and itā€™s questionable benefit.
I believe, this medicine should be administered upon stools analysis results.

I believe this product's enzymes to be similar to feeding your dog some pineapple and papaya, not nearly as strong as giving it Cotazyme or Creon or Pancrease which are used mostly for patients with pancreatic insufficiency, such as cystic fibrosis. I'm guessing your dog threw up from the prebiotics as mentioned by someone before. Here are the ingredients of Herbsmith Microflora Plus:

Dried fermentation products of Aspergillus oryzae, Rhizopus oryzae, and Trichoderma longibrachiatum [T. reesei], pineapple stem, papaya, FOS (Fructooligosaccharides), Cinnamon Bark, Ginger, Licorice, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried fermentation products of Bacillus subtilis and B. licheniformis, Maltodextrin, sodium silico aluminate (dessicant), stearic acid

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yep, but over the list or ingredients there is table of enzymes with amount in units. Never saw on papaya or pineapple ā€œ2 slices contain ...IU of papin or bromelainā€.
Im MD and know that any ingredient can cause vomiting, and probably, I will never know what exactly caused vomiting in my particular case. Even absolutely innocent one could cause this - like licorice or cinnamon. I just express concern what is the need to use digestive enzymes without indications. Iā€™m not a vet and Iā€™m not sure if the mentioned doses of enzymes are big or small for dogs, frankly speaking, Iā€™m too lazy to look for this information. But I strongly believe in a rule ā€Donā€™t repair things that are not brokenā€.
And for sure, I know what are the indications for Creon and Festal. But, alas, general population misuses it to alleviate symptoms of overindulgence during holidays:Dthat's what I meant:D

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yep, but over the list or ingredients there is table of enzymes with amount in units. Never saw on papaya or pineapple ā€œ2 slices contain ...IU of papin or bromelainā€.
Im MD and know that any ingredient can cause vomiting, and probably, I will never know what exactly caused vomiting in my particular case. Even absolutely innocent one could cause this - like licorice or cinnamon. I just express concern what is the need to use digestive enzymes without indications. Iā€™m not a vet and Iā€™m not sure if the mentioned doses of enzymes are big or small for dogs, frankly speaking, Iā€™m too lazy to look for this information. But I strongly believe in a rule ā€Donā€™t repair things that are not brokenā€.
And for sure, I know what are the indications for Creon and Festal. But, alas, general population misuses it to alleviate symptoms of overindulgence during holidays:Dthat's what I meant:D

Also the professionals in all you can eat food competitions take enzymes before a competition :)

Members online

No members online now.