Vitamins & Supplements

buttercp21

Feb 9, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Hello fellow bully friends, I have an 8 week old puppy and I'm wondering what is the best vitamins and supplements for him, such as for his joints and things of that nature. Thanks in advance

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello fellow bully friends, I have an 8 week old puppy and I'm wondering what is the best vitamins and supplements for him, such as for his joints and things of that nature. Thanks in advance

Hello n Welcome!!! 8weeks is a bit to young for “joint n things” as you put it... my question is what are you feeding your puppy? Basically for now all you need is is a quality kibble like Orijen puppy food as it has everything in that bag. Also go to your butcher get marrow bones cut for the size of your puppy like 2-3” long. Puppy will eat the marrow n will have all the best vitamins for his little body. Start slow as if puppy as an allergies issue only IF...like that you can keep track. Even better feed puppy frozen raw. If you don’t want get at some pet shops frozen green tripe. The real green tripe smells really bad so that means you have the right kind lol. Semi thaw them so you can cut in slices n wear gloves n re-freeze them. Give one slice/stick per day. You won’t need any vitamins nor probiotics for your puppy. Acana sells one protein per bag so even better to keep track on what puppy can eat without problems.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Hi Buttercp, you have been given lots of great advice already from above members, and I agree at 8 weeks, King should get all of his nutrients he needs through a good quality puppy kibble. You can switch him to an adult kibble when he is 6 or 7 months old, or keep him on it until he is a year old. Once he is on a good quality adult kibble, you can add some add ons and supplements. I like giving my two guys natural supplements for preventative purposes. I add plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble, for the probiotics. This helps to boost their immune system, I add Coconut Oil to their evening kibble for the Omega Oils, you can also use Salmon Oil or Cod liver Oil instead. Omega oils are good for the joints, skin, hair and also for brain health. I also add Kelp to their evening kibble. Kelp contains all the vitamins your dog needs.
I also give them add ons like cut up strawberries, bananas, apples, blueberries, or watermelon, I add this to the yogurt in the morning. In the evening they get whatever veggies we are having for dinner as a topper to their kibble . They get cooked baby carrots, green beans, broccoli, or cauliflower. I also add Apple Cider Vinegar to their water everyday. ACV is a natural anti inflammatory, which helps their joints and also prevents disease. A lot of illnesses are caused by inflammation in the body, including Arthritis. ACV also kills the bad bacteria in the body, so helps to boost the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I agree with all the above, here's some dosing guidelines for the oils:
Fish oil - 1000 mg (containing 300 mg of EPA/DHA) for every 30 pounds of body weight
Flaxseed oil- 1 teaspoon per day ( when feeding dog poultry )
Organic virgin coconut oil - 1/4 tsp for every 10 pounds twice daily
Hemp seed oil- about 3/4 tsp daily ( when feeding red meat )

Another very useful supplement is turmeric eg. Clubhouse brand. About 1/2 tsp twice daily, add freshly ground pepper for absorption, and mix both into food

Always start supplements at lower doses and increase to desired dose gradually, to avoid stomach upset. It's better to give fish oil supplements from capsules opened up with a safety pin to make sure they are fresh.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!!!! one thing to know for puppy joints ... do not allow them to go down stairs or jump off furniture until 6 months old. This is when the bones and joints are more strong and stable to handle the pounding

please post pictures

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
What happened to NuVet supplements?

Most Reactions