buttercp21

Feb 9, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Hello guys, I have an English Bulldog puppy who is 8 weeks old I would like to know what is a good pet insurance to get him? Thanks in advance.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello guys, I have an English Bulldog puppy who is 8 weeks old I would like to know what is a good pet insurance to get him? Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome! I bought Joey Nationwide Pet insurance when she was very young, THANK GOD we have not had to use it but I'm really pleased with the policy. More members will chime in with their experiences too.

How about some pictures of King, LOVE BULLY PHOTOS :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have Nationwide as well and got it right away. There is a two week period before it kicks in. It’s a good idea to get insurance when they’re young because once a condition gets diagnosed, it will be considered pre-existing and won’t be covered. I have the Whole Pet Wellness plan (I think that’s what it’s called) and you get reimbursed 90% for everything that is covered. I’m lucky I have it because my Frenchie got diagnosed with IVDD last summer and needed a very expensive surgery and his acupuncture treatments are covered as well. It usually takes about 2 weeks for a claim to be processed and they even offer direct deposit now. I have no complaints about Nationwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I’ve looked into a few insurance companies and for 500$ deduction I would be paying 250$ monthly which is a lot of money per year and that’s for ONE pup. Bare in mind this is Canada n we always pay double on anything compared to the US. It’s not a lot if your dog is sick but you just dont know “if” the dog will be very slick. These insurances are mainly for big issues as. So....what I did is I have a credit card just for my 2 dogs. If anything happens well they are still covered. When I go to the vet for checkups, creams little normal dog maintenance I use my own money. But you really need to learn NOT to use the card for other uses. Nyala is 2yrs old Duke is 1. Knock on wood....they are doing great aside normal little issues of acne or losing some fur. So do the math 250$ per month each dog is a lot of money I would of given the insurance companies. Why I opted for a credit card.

If you start immediately feeding your pup top quality food like a higher end kibble Acana, Orijen, Fromm or zignaure you will avoid a lot of vet bills. Even better feed only raw and frozen green smelly tripe. Just start with ONE protein per month so you can eliminate IF your pup has an allergy issue. Start a journal. The biggest culprit in health issues in any pet or human’s is “food!” Old saying “You Are What You Eat”!!! Frozen raw you will eliminate the majority health problems your pup can encounter. Genetic health problems is a challenge. But if you bought your pup from a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill, puppy should have a normal life... Basically it’s all about maintenance. One more thing never give your pup all his shots in one day. Split them up on visits. All this to say it will cost you less down the road if you follow these steps.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I’ve looked into a few insurance companies and for 500$ deduction I would be paying 250$ monthly which is a lot of money per year and that’s for ONE pup. Bare in mind this is Canada n we always pay double on anything compared to the US. It’s not a lot if your dog is sick but you just dont know “if” the dog will be very slick. These insurances are mainly for big issues as. So....what I did is I have a credit card just for my 2 dogs. If anything happens well they are still covered. When I go to the vet for checkups, creams little normal dog maintenance I use my own money. But you really need to learn NOT to use the card for other uses. Nyala is 2yrs old Duke is 1. Knock on wood....they are doing great aside normal little issues of acne or losing some fur. So do the math 250$ per month each dog is a lot of money I would of given the insurance companies. Why I opted for a credit card.

If you start immediately feeding your pup top quality food like a higher end kibble Acana, Orijen, Fromm or zignaure you will avoid a lot of vet bills. Even better feed only raw and frozen green smelly tripe. Just start with ONE protein per month so you can eliminate IF your pup has an allergy issue. Start a journal. The biggest culprit in health issues in any pet or human’s is “food!” Old saying “You Are What You Eat”!!! Frozen raw you will eliminate the majority health problems your pup can encounter. Genetic health problems is a challenge. But if you bought your pup from a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill, puppy should have a normal life... Basically it’s all about maintenance. One more thing never give your pup all his shots in one day. Split them up on visits. All this to say it will cost you less down the road if you follow these steps.

$250 a month for 1 dog...sheesh! I think I pay $65 for Jax a month and $58 for Louie a month and both have a $250 deductible. It gives me peace of mind and I didn't have to think twice about whether or not I was going to do the surgery for Jax. But I know a lot of people that either just put money away each month for dog expenses or have a separate credit card like you do.

So whatever you choose, choose what will work best for you.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
$250 a month for 1 dog...sheesh! I think I pay $65 for Jax a month and $58 for Louie a month and both have a $250 deductible. It gives me peace of mind and I didn't have to think twice about whether or not I was going to do the surgery for Jax. But I know a lot of people that either just put money away each month for dog expenses or have a separate credit card like you do.

So whatever you choose, choose what will work best for you.

AGREE....Wow [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] that is expensive!! Joey has Major Medical Plan, $250 Deductable, $336 PER YEAR.....I pay $30.01 per month.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
AGREE....Wow [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] that is expensive!! Joey has Major Medical Plan, $250 Deductable, $336 PER YEAR.....I pay $30.01 per month.

This is Canada. Ask Any members that lives here they suck you dry. I still get emails from Trupanion and others as I did fill out applications. Stopped when I found out how much it was going to cost me. [MENTION=18035]buttercp21[/MENTION] for sur if you can get it at the prices mentioned go for it. But you still need to keep up maintenance “even” if you don’t see any issues. Maintenance is the key word for future issues.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
This is Canada. Ask Any members that lives here they suck you dry. I still get emails from Trupanion and others as I did fill out applications. Stopped when I found out how much it was going to cost me. [MENTION=18035]buttercp21[/MENTION] for sur if you can get it at the prices mentioned go for it. But you still need to keep up maintenance “even” if you don’t see any issues. Maintenance is the key word for future issues.

You are on the top of my list of responsible and loving dog parents, so, it must be such a let down for the coverage to be so expensive for you in Canada. So unfair !! Knowing the way that you take care of your fur kids they will, I pray, stay very, very healthy forever :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You are on the top of my list of responsible and loving dog parents, so, it must be such a let down for the coverage to be so expensive for you in Canada. So unfair !! Knowing the way that you take care of your fur kids they will, I pray, stay very, very healthy forever :)

Ohhhh I do a lot of maintenance. Lots of work especially having 2 n one is Duke loll. I’m sure they’re not going to be immune to the world but if I can help while they were babies, they will get a good start for their future.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.