Help Needed! My bulldog loses a lot of hair :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My bulldog loses a lot of hair 😞

That looks like a food allergy... just nit agreeing with him.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
From what I can see, Rose has a Staph infection and will need 3-5 weeks of Cephalexin, 250mg twice per day...unless a skin scraping indicates otherwise. Keep up the Acana food and add coconut oil and probiotic if you have access. Douxo Mousse applied every other day to the affected areas will also help. This will take several months to clear up and re-grow the coat. Rose is a cute little girl. Thank you for being a good Bully parent.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I’m dealing with this same issue with Duke. It comes and goes since he was 4months old. On the sides it looks like sponge holes but on top where his folds are, are bigger n was really red. Went to the vet and it’s a fungus. He also had one paw he kept licking. Was wet in the deep end of the paw. Got duoxo from the vet and washing him a few time a week. It is going slowly as I can see new hair growth. The paw is cured after Nyala ‘s tail pocket mixture that I was putting 2x a day. I removed kibbles completely for him only and is only on raw. I’m testing him with the food for now. Seems all is going well. Nyala also has dandruff exactly like yours. She always did since she was a pup.its extremely dry this province compared to the rest of Canada. Why it’s called the “prairies “. Nyala’s skin is fine. Just dandruff which comes out with a few squirts of fractionated coconut oil n lavender essential oil. Oh n I also did put NuStock on Duke. All redness disappeared the next day. If it was Staph, Nyala would of caught it by nowadays dogs can transmit it among each other. So this is why from your photos even if you haven’t shaved her, plus the dandruff I’m thinking more fungus. Like mentioned if a scrap is done and indicates something else we’ll do what the vet is suggesting. I got from my vet duoxo shampoo according from the test. I did double his tripe per day. Every bit helps.

OP
LGFERRER89

LGFERRER89

Dec 10, 2017
Country
Chile
Bulldog(s) Names
Rose
thank you very much for the comments, what I find strange is that the hair grew fast in the shaved parts, I check it and your skin has nothing strange, just a little dandruff and something dry.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone on the shampooing... that seems to make things worse. My Walter has horrible fur/skin issues... I did go thru a food change, but honestly I think it was more environmental allergies.

First of all the vet needs to do a skin scrape, make sure that it's not a staph infection or mite issues. I would brush her daily w/a soft rubber brush... get the loose hairs off, but not irritate the skin so much. I would add either coconut oil or fish oil to her diet daily... I have used both, and they both seemed to help Walter keep his skin from being so dry. He does seem to blow out his coat more in the spring/fall months, but I used the oil daily to keep his hair loss down.

Good luck and please keep us posted...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think, as [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said,** that a skin scrape is most important.**-- If it shows nothing, brush gently with the soft rubber to get loose hair, than a soft hairbrush. When mine had dandruff,I started putting a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in food once a day,and the brushing. They no longer had dandruff. As Tracey said, coconut or fish will work,also-any one of them.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
It's funny because our vet originally told me not to bathe too often, but bathing seemed the only thing to give our dog relief from his environmental allergies. He'd run ahead of me to the shower even! We bathed ever 2-3 weeks (with Dermabens which was gentle enough) and when he wasn't broken out in staph (then he'd get bathed at least weekly to get rid of the crusts in conjunction with antibiotics), his skin and fur were amazing. [MENTION=17853]LGFERRER89[/MENTION] let us know what the vet says! Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.