Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: Fly snapping syndrome

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    18
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Romo and Luca
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default Fly snapping syndrome

    Hi all, recently my 2.5 year old OEB has started fly snapping. It started about five days ago. I knew it was out of the ordinary for him, so we got him into the vet two days ago and they did bloodwork which came back great. They drained his anal glands which the vet said weren't bad at all. The vet did say this would be the age that epilepsy can develop in dogs. She also said it could be gastrointestinal, so she recommended trying Pepcid in the evening. We've started giving Pepcid for a couple days now but he's still doing it. We will continue it for a couple weeks though.

    He is responsive when he's snapping, but sometimes he'll get scared when it happens, which is heartbreaking. His ears are clean but he does always seem to want them scratched. He has seasonal allergies but it's winter here. I do think he has eczema though. We feed him a grain-free diet and his food is Earthborn Holistic bison.

    The vet gave us a recommendation to try Hemp oil if it is indeed epilepsy.

    Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to help my little love?

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    41,923
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    13318

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    @Libra926

    Can you post video ? Also have you checked his tail pocket sometimes they do this when they have an itch they cannot reach


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #3
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    4,002
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3373

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    My thoughts too are tail pocket.. they can look so awful strange when that tail pocket is having an issue.. have you checked it?

  4. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    6,847
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    8320

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
    Hi all, recently my 2.5 year old OEB has started fly snapping. It started about five days ago. I knew it was out of the ordinary for him, so we got him into the vet two days ago and they did bloodwork which came back great. They drained his anal glands which the vet said weren't bad at all. The vet did say this would be the age that epilepsy can develop in dogs. She also said it could be gastrointestinal, so she recommended trying Pepcid in the evening. We've started giving Pepcid for a couple days now but he's still doing it. We will continue it for a couple weeks though.

    He is responsive when he's snapping, but sometimes he'll get scared when it happens, which is heartbreaking. His ears are clean but he does always seem to want them scratched. He has seasonal allergies but it's winter here. I do think he has eczema though. We feed him a grain-free diet and his food is Earthborn Holistic bison.

    The vet gave us a recommendation to try Hemp oil if it is indeed epilepsy.

    Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to help my little love?
    2 things.....

    I am so NOT a fan of Pepcid nothing worse than that to ruine any balanced acidity. Like humans which millions of people donít even know, older you get the less we have acidity issues. We produce less of it. Same rule for dogs!!! anyway thatís another story....

    Nyala my brindle snaps the flies as you call it. Some will call it lick the air. Itís her tail pocket. I do clean it on regular basis but some times it bothers her more. I clean it every 2-3 days with an essential oil mix and about once a month she does her butt dance. Itís been over a year now. Itís just another maintenance to add to my bully list. I sure canít complain as itís a little list n Iím happy with my list.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    18
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Romo and Luca
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    I’m not sure my little guy has a tail pocket. His tail is docked so short that it’s just a nub. But I’ll check to see if there is anything there. He also doesn’t rub his butt or do any scooting.

    I’ll try to get video of him fly snapping and post it

  6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  7. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    6,847
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    8320

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
    Iím not sure my little guy has a tail pocket. His tail is docked so short that itís just a nub. But Iíll check to see if there is anything there. He also doesnít rub his butt or do any scooting.

    Iíll try to get video of him fly snapping and post it
    Thatís what Nyala has a nub that sits there. Wear some gloves!

  8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #7
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    18
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Romo and Luca
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    Yeah I tried to get under his nub and there’s nothing there. He’s an olde English so maybe the tails are different than English. -3933d27a-d875-4811-970d-fe1c43e735fc-jpeg

    Here is a picture of his bully butt

  10. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    41,923
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    13318

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
    Yeah I tried to get under his nub and thereís nothing there. Heís an olde English so maybe the tails are different than English. -3933d27a-d875-4811-970d-fe1c43e735fc-jpeg

    Here is a picture of his bully butt
    Definitely no pocket there... adorable!!

    Check ears too... waiting on video when you can


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  11. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    6,847
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    8320

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
    Yeah I tried to get under his nub and there’s nothing there. He’s an olde English so maybe the tails are different than English. -3933d27a-d875-4811-970d-fe1c43e735fc-jpeg

    Here is a picture of his bully butt
    That’s exactly what Nyala has as a tail. A tiny bump. It’s a bit hard to see as she’s dark but it’s like yours, a tiny bump almost flat. Nyala is a bantam bulldogge n not English like most in here. Longer legs, tad longer nose, smaller face n no big rope. She’s suppose to be smaller but she’s the size of a regular EB. Every dog I ever own are always bigger than what they are suppose to be. Must be the water. Lol

    -bc5164f4-eb3d-4cc7-8999-28947121e91d-jpeg
    -bc5164f4-eb3d-4cc7-8999-28947121e91d-jpeg

  12. #10
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmš
    Posts
    4,764
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2779

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    It can also be something as simple as a scratch or just something the eye. They can get something stuck in their eye and they actually think it is something they can catch. I would have them checked too. You can start by flushing the eyes with eye drops.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #11
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    18
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Romo and Luca
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    Thank you all so much for your responses. My boy (Luca) seems to be doing it less over the past few days, so I'm hoping it's something minor. My gut feeling is that it's an itch he can't reach. I don't think it's epilepsy. But I'm going to keep an eye on him. If it picks up again I'll try to get video and post it.

    I did order CBD oil as well as a probiotic for him. Should I still give him the CBD oil even if I don't think it's seizure-related? Is the CBD oil beneficial to him otherwise?

  15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  16. #12
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    6,847
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    8320

    Default Re: Fly snapping syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
    Thank you all so much for your responses. My boy (Luca) seems to be doing it less over the past few days, so I'm hoping it's something minor. My gut feeling is that it's an itch he can't reach. I don't think it's epilepsy. But I'm going to keep an eye on him. If it picks up again I'll try to get video and post it.

    I did order CBD oil as well as a probiotic for him. Should I still give him the CBD oil even if I don't think it's seizure-related? Is the CBD oil beneficial to him otherwise?
    Dogs with epilepsy don’t snap, lick the air or flies as we describe but just stand, lay or sit there and the whole body trembles same as humans. Don’t give any CBD if it’s NOT epilepsy. Here is one of our members their bully having tremors n all he does is rub one drop of frankincense essential oil in each ear and each paws n it stops! Dog needs to be tested for epilepsy n not just say “it can be” without doing the tests. I personally would never give anything to my dogs even myself if I wouldn’t be given the proper diagnosis. That’s my 2cents.

    https://www.facebook.com/jerry.monte...14983522840126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •