erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Hi all, recently my 2.5 year old OEB has started fly snapping. It started about five days ago. I knew it was out of the ordinary for him, so we got him into the vet two days ago and they did bloodwork which came back great. They drained his anal glands which the vet said weren't bad at all. The vet did say this would be the age that epilepsy can develop in dogs. She also said it could be gastrointestinal, so she recommended trying Pepcid in the evening. We've started giving Pepcid for a couple days now but he's still doing it. We will continue it for a couple weeks though.

He is responsive when he's snapping, but sometimes he'll get scared when it happens, which is heartbreaking. His ears are clean but he does always seem to want them scratched. He has seasonal allergies but it's winter here. I do think he has eczema though. We feed him a grain-free diet and his food is Earthborn Holistic bison.

The vet gave us a recommendation to try Hemp oil if it is indeed epilepsy.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to help my little love?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Can you post video ? Also have you checked his tail pocket sometimes they do this when they have an itch they cannot reach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My thoughts too are tail pocket.. they can look so awful strange when that tail pocket is having an issue.. have you checked it?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all, recently my 2.5 year old OEB has started fly snapping. It started about five days ago. I knew it was out of the ordinary for him, so we got him into the vet two days ago and they did bloodwork which came back great. They drained his anal glands which the vet said weren't bad at all. The vet did say this would be the age that epilepsy can develop in dogs. She also said it could be gastrointestinal, so she recommended trying Pepcid in the evening. We've started giving Pepcid for a couple days now but he's still doing it. We will continue it for a couple weeks though.

He is responsive when he's snapping, but sometimes he'll get scared when it happens, which is heartbreaking. His ears are clean but he does always seem to want them scratched. He has seasonal allergies but it's winter here. I do think he has eczema though. We feed him a grain-free diet and his food is Earthborn Holistic bison.

The vet gave us a recommendation to try Hemp oil if it is indeed epilepsy.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to help my little love?

2 things.....

I am so NOT a fan of Pepcid nothing worse than that to ruine any balanced acidity. Like humans which millions of people donā€™t even know, older you get the less we have acidity issues. We produce less of it. Same rule for dogs!!! anyway thatā€™s another story....

Nyala my brindle snaps the flies as you call it. Some will call it lick the air. Itā€™s her tail pocket. I do clean it on regular basis but some times it bothers her more. I clean it every 2-3 days with an essential oil mix and about once a month she does her butt dance. Itā€™s been over a year now. Itā€™s just another maintenance to add to my bully list. I sure canā€™t complain as itā€™s a little list n Iā€™m happy with my list.

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Iā€™m not sure my little guy has a tail pocket. His tail is docked so short that itā€™s just a nub. But Iā€™ll check to see if there is anything there. He also doesnā€™t rub his butt or do any scooting.

Iā€™ll try to get video of him fly snapping and post it

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m not sure my little guy has a tail pocket. His tail is docked so short that itā€™s just a nub. But Iā€™ll check to see if there is anything there. He also doesnā€™t rub his butt or do any scooting.

Iā€™ll try to get video of him fly snapping and post it

Thatā€™s what Nyala has a nub that sits there. Wear some gloves!

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Yeah I tried to get under his nub and thereā€™s nothing there. Heā€™s an olde English so maybe the tails are different than English. 3933D27A-D875-4811-970D-FE1C43E735FC.jpeg

Here is a picture of his bully butt

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah I tried to get under his nub and thereā€™s nothing there. Heā€™s an olde English so maybe the tails are different than English. View attachment 110837

Definitely no pocket there... adorable!!

Check ears too... waiting on video when you can

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah I tried to get under his nub and thereā€™s nothing there. Heā€™s an olde English so maybe the tails are different than English. View attachment 110837

Thatā€™s exactly what Nyala has as a tail. A tiny bump. Itā€™s a bit hard to see as sheā€™s dark but itā€™s like yours, a tiny bump almost flat. Nyala is a bantam bulldogge n not English like most in here. Longer legs, tad longer nose, smaller face n no big rope. Sheā€™s suppose to be smaller but sheā€™s the size of a regular EB. Every dog I ever own are always bigger than what they are suppose to be. Must be the water. Lol

BC5164F4-EB3D-4CC7-8999-28947121E91D.jpeg
BC5164F4-EB3D-4CC7-8999-28947121E91D.jpeg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It can also be something as simple as a scratch or just something the eye. They can get something stuck in their eye and they actually think it is something they can catch. I would have them checked too. You can start by flushing the eyes with eye drops.

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
Thank you all so much for your responses. My boy (Luca) seems to be doing it less over the past few days, so I'm hoping it's something minor. My gut feeling is that it's an itch he can't reach. I don't think it's epilepsy. But I'm going to keep an eye on him. If it picks up again I'll try to get video and post it.

I did order CBD oil as well as a probiotic for him. Should I still give him the CBD oil even if I don't think it's seizure-related? Is the CBD oil beneficial to him otherwise?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all so much for your responses. My boy (Luca) seems to be doing it less over the past few days, so I'm hoping it's something minor. My gut feeling is that it's an itch he can't reach. I don't think it's epilepsy. But I'm going to keep an eye on him. If it picks up again I'll try to get video and post it.

I did order CBD oil as well as a probiotic for him. Should I still give him the CBD oil even if I don't think it's seizure-related? Is the CBD oil beneficial to him otherwise?

Dogs with epilepsy donā€™t snap, lick the air or flies as we describe but just stand, lay or sit there and the whole body trembles same as humans. Donā€™t give any CBD if itā€™s NOT epilepsy. Here is one of our members their bully having tremors n all he does is rub one drop of frankincense essential oil in each ear and each paws n it stops! Dog needs to be tested for epilepsy n not just say ā€œit can beā€ without doing the tests. I personally would never give anything to my dogs even myself if I wouldnā€™t be given the proper diagnosis. Thatā€™s my 2cents.

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.montella.9/posts/10214983522840126

OP
E

erin1715

Jan 18, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Romo and Luca
My husband thinks itā€™s his ears because he sometimes swipes above his head with his paw and shakes his head. His ears are totally clean but he loves them scratched.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My husband thinks itā€™s his ears because he sometimes swipes above his head with his paw and shakes his head. His ears are totally clean but he loves them scratched.

Could be a deep ear infection... did you have vet check?

Most Reactions