Throwing up

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
My 14 week old puppy has thrown up during the night the past 2 nights. She is fine all day, no throwing up, playing up until bedtime. Then in the middle of the night, I can hear her and she throws up. She always sounds like she has flim in her throat but I don't think that has anything to do with it or she would throw up during the day too. She had her shots and heartworm treatment over the weekend but still seems like if that was it she would get sick during the day too. Any ideas?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12529]sophiebell[/MENTION] I have had pups/dogs who would do that, because they couldn't last on an empty stomach, until morning. I give all my dogs a "snack" before bed. What mine get is a little bit of their dog food with a tablespoon of yogurt. It doesn't have to be that, but something so they don't have "empties" until morning!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Is it bile? If so, it's probably because of an empty stomach. As suggested, trying giving a little snack before bed.

OP
S

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
It isn't bile, it's her food. I try to feed her 3 hours before bedtime with food and 2 hours for water so she won't have to go potty during the night.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It could be the opposite problem-try feeding her earlier, just save a little bit to give her before bedtime. Maybe the full meal is too much at once for her. Worth a try. Maybe someone else can help more.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try a different food- eg. one of my dogs always threw up with a fish based dog food

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It isn't bile, it's her food. I try to feed her 3 hours before bedtime with food and 2 hours for water so she won't have to go potty during the night.

How much are you feeding at each meal and when?

Also, a puppy can only hold bladder for 1 hour more than they are months old.. so at 14 weeks, 5 hours is her limit (usually pushing it) so a mid-night potty is necessary

OP
S

sophiebell

Aug 2, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
sophiebell
This is the food she has had since we got her 3 weeks ago, you think it could still be the food? She is at the vet right now for them to check her out. I've cried and cried worrying about her. Thank you for your help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is the food she has had since we got her 3 weeks ago, you think it could still be the food? She is at the vet right now for them to check her out. I've cried and cried worrying about her. Thank you for your help!

Sure can be.... what brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
awww poor baby. We had issues with our EB throwing up as well. He is 16 months old . First started out would throw up middle of night. ( white flem ) I was a wreck too , took him to vet had bloodwork, xrays and fecal exam done. ( after trying to feed two hours before bed ) Then I switched food to a fish based food.. Well that was a disaster, he then started puking up undigested food and I got really worried.

Long story short. I finally found victory and no more throwing up after switching him to Nature's Variety Instinct limited ingredient turkey and we give him a probiotic ( Herbsmith 1 Count Microflora Plus for Digestion )

:pray2:

Members online

No members online now.