porker101

Feb 6, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
lil pork chop
Hi everyone so I recently started having issues for about the past month with my English bulldog lil pork chop. I know I've been overbathing which probably led to this. I went to the vet and she wasn't exactly sure what it was but we gave him a chewable for fleas and handles parasites/ringworm & fish oil. He isn't itching as far as I can tell. She mentioned it could be a disease that were the hair wouldn't come back and I'm really concerned about that. She mentioned that typically is on the sides of the dog however. maybe Dermatitis?

I've been putting coconut oil on him and changed his food to royal canin bulldog. What else should I do? I gave two baths a few weeks ago with GNC pets Medicated Anti-Bacterial & anti-Fungal Shampoo. Should I give him a few more baths? It helped clear up the redness and remove some of the larger bumps. Will the hair grow back?

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_120155661_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20180206_120155661_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20180206_120252055.jpg
    IMG_20180206_120252055.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20180206_120525638.jpg
    IMG_20180206_120525638.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20180206_120538758.jpg
    IMG_20180206_120538758.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 203

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone so I recently started having issues for about the past month with my English bulldog lil pork chop. I know I've been overbathing which probably led to this. I went to the vet and she wasn't exactly sure what it was but we gave him a chewable for fleas and handles parasites/ringworm & fish oil. He isn't itching as far as I can tell. She mentioned it could be a disease that were the hair wouldn't come back and I'm really concerned about that. She mentioned that typically is on the sides of the dog however. maybe Dermatitis?

I've been putting coconut oil on him and changed his food to royal canin bulldog. What else should I do? I gave two baths a few weeks ago with GNC pets Medicated Anti-Bacterial & anti-Fungal Shampoo. Should I give him a few more baths? It helped clear up the redness and remove some of the larger bumps. Will the hair grow back?

Welcome to EBN!

How old is your baby? Did the vet do a skin scrape to rule out mange? How old is your baby... if under one, it most likely is manage.

Also, get of f the royal canin... it is not a good food. Look into one of the following and be sure to go grain and chicken free

Earthborn Holistic
Orijen
Acana
Fromm
Zingnature

raw is the absolute best if you are willing.... second best is dehydrated raw (The Honest Kitchen).

OP
P

porker101

Feb 6, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
lil pork chop
He's 6 months. The Vet gave him Simparica which should treat that I believe. Should I give him another bath in medicated Shampoo weekly or bi-weekly? The vet recommended Royal canin, but you suggest I should switch to something not chicken based? What would be best as far as main ingredient I was considering Lamb or turkey.

Thanks!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Does your vet carry RC? If so, that's probably the reason he recommended it, they get a kick-back! He can have what ever protein he isn't allergic to. Bullys are often allergic to chicken which is why we all say to stay away from it. Try a single protein at a time then you can tell what's causing a reaction, should he have one. As for bathing, opinions are across the board! I only bathe Monty when he needs it and he hasn't had one now for months. He stays clean though as we don't have grass in the back garden and he hates walks! If you have a muddy dog, that is a diffeent story.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It never ceases to amaze me how Vets know so little about nutrition and just haphazardly recommend food that might be causing/worsening the issues they are trying to treat. Go with Orijen if you can find it..Fromm or Acana, etc. Add Coconut oil to the food. We spoon fill a squeeze mustard/ketchup bottle and heat it in the microwave for about 40 seconds or until it turns to liquid. One good quirt(teaspoon+) on the food is enough. Applying to the skin is also good. That skin looks really dry. Bath only when smelly, dirty, or greasy feeling.
Did the Vet do any sort of skin scraping?
Did they diagnose yeast/fungus or a bacteria?
Did they give you the shampoo to try without a definitive diagnosis?
Have they scheduled for you a follow-up visit?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with all above. Vet should have done a scraping and checked for mange before just prescribing Simparica ( same class as Nexgard and Bravecto ) . If it was mange it should be cured with a couple of months treatment. Then you can switch your dog to topical therapy for fleas and ticks next spring eg Vectra 3D .

Even if your dog does better with the simparica, you can start giving healthier food and supplements to improve coat and lessen any allergies:

Give coconut oil with some meals, and salmon oil squeezed out of a capsule with other meals. Also turmeric and ground pepper ( to help turmeric absorption ) mixed in with the food.

Start off with dehydrated raw grain free dog food, but not chicken protein , eg. from Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms, Grandma Lucy, Only Natural EasyRaw. If your dog's coat gets better then you can try switching to frozen raw since it is even better for dog and cheaper but less convenient.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names

I just noticed what your vet said. It sounds like she is referring to SFA (seasonal flank alopecia) although that looks quite crusty for SFA. It is very common and comes and goes and isn't anything to really worry about. You can look it up online.

Is your vet a Bully vet? I highly recommend finding one if not. It makes all the difference with this breed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's 6 months. The Vet gave him Simparica which should treat that I believe. Should I give him another bath in medicated Shampoo weekly or bi-weekly? The vet recommended Royal canin, but you suggest I should switch to something not chicken based? What would be best as far as main ingredient I was considering Lamb or turkey.

Thanks!

I would start with turkey as it is less of a chance for allergies. As for your vet suggesting that food is because vets have very little nutritional knowledge, I am not knocking them, they just do not have the time to put toward food research they are more focused on medical and certifications which they should be. It is up to us pet owners to research and feed our babies the best.

The gang is giving you great advice and will have your baby healthy in no time if you follow their suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

porker101

Feb 6, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
lil pork chop
We passed on the skin scraping to try Simparica since he hasn't had it which should address most concerns that could come skin scrapping if it's manges she said.

No shampoo I used a over the counter brand before taking him to the vet cause I assumed overwashing was causing it which the Shampoo I got mentioned it handles that.

Yes for follow-up, or as needed if it worsens.

I'm suspecting I may need to find a better vet since she didn't seem super confident. If I don't see much progess in the next few days I'll try a new vet.

He's already getting fish oil and Coconut oil rubbed on and fed.

It never ceases to amaze me how Vets know so little about nutrition and just haphazardly recommend food that might be causing/worsening the issues they are trying to treat. Go with Orijen if you can find it..Fromm or Acana, etc. Add Coconut oil to the food. We spoon fill a squeeze mustard/ketchup bottle and heat it in the microwave for about 40 seconds or until it turns to liquid. One good quirt(teaspoon+) on the food is enough. Applying to the skin is also good. That skin looks really dry. Bath only when smelly, dirty, or greasy feeling.
Did the Vet do any sort of skin scraping?
Did they diagnose yeast/fungus or a bacteria?
Did they give you the shampoo to try without a definitive diagnosis?
Have they scheduled for you a follow-up visit?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
We passed on the skin scraping to try Simparica since he hasn't had it which should address most concerns that could come skin scrapping if it's manges she said.

No shampoo I used a over the counter brand before taking him to the vet cause I assumed overwashing was causing it which the Shampoo I got mentioned it handles that.

Yes for follow-up, or as needed if it worsens.

I'm suspecting I may need to find a better vet since she didn't seem super confident. If I don't see much progess in the next few days I'll try a new vet.

He's already getting fish oil and Coconut oil rubbed on and fed.

Follow your feelings and find a Bulldog savvy vet. They really need to know the quirks (of which there are many!) of this breed. I am really not trying to scare you but it can sometimes be quite dangerous if they don't know what they are doing. Just a heads up.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Agree with [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION], Orijen for puppy will put him back on track.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Please describe what his face and feet look like or post pics. Our experience is that demodectic mange typically starts on face and feet. My wife, who is the real expert in this family, took one look at your pics and said, “that’s Staph, he needs an antibiotic”. She’s savvy when it comes to the breed.
However, I do admit that the large areas of lost hair do look like mange. How long has this been going on?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Wouldn't hurt to bathe him twice a week for a few weeks then once a week till he's all better.

Also, give him some probiotics, preferably doggie probiotics like Proviable DC or Herbsmith Microflora Plus.
Or, second best, some live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food stores, or milk kefir

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wouldn't hurt to bathe him twice a week for a few weeks then once a week till he's all better.

Also, give him some probiotics, preferably doggie probiotics like Proviable DC or Herbsmith Microflora Plus.
Or, second best, some live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food stores, or milk kefir

Need your input... ever heard of hope I don’t spell this wrong.. fungal shampoo Doux pyr? Is it good? For Duke thanks!!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Need your input... ever heard of hope I don’t spell this wrong.. fungal shampoo Doux pyr? Is it good? For Duke thanks!!!

Do you mean Sogeval Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo with Climbazole ? https://www.amazon.ca/Sogeval-Chlorhexidine-Shampoo-Climbazole-6-8-Ounce/dp/B00TCLKFG2/ref=sr_1_2/137-4250379-7478414?ie=UTF8&qid=1518043891&sr=8-2&keywords=douxo+pyo+shampoo&dpID=41wbon9MkTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch If so, I wouldn't buy this as climbazole is not as good an antifungal as ketoconazole.
You can buy Veterinary Formula® Clinical Care™ 16 fl. oz. Antiseptic & Antifungal Medicated Shampoo from Bath and Bedtime and use one of their coupons. This product has ketoconazole, but not as good an antibacterial since it has benzethonium instead of chlorhexidine .https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/veterinary-formula-reg-clinical-care-trade-16-fl-oz-antiseptic-antifungal-medicated-shampoo/1047026544?skuId=47026544&mrkgcl=610&mrkgadid=3250948071&rkg_id=h-d264ada7a70d66fa11ab3102efb0e94f_t-1518044321&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand__&product_id=47026544CA&adpos=1o1&creative=229698126707&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhfTEy_OU2QIViTqBCh2KTAwbEAYYASABEgL-TfD_BwE

Or you can spend a lot of money ( we get ripped off in Canada ) for Ketohex shampoo. https://www.amazon.ca/Vet-One-313985007712-Ketohex-Shampoo/dp/B00E0PE3WW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1518044236&sr=1-1&keywords=ketohex+shampoo

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.