Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Well, I thought I was going to be lucky with Louie but I just noticed his paws are looking a little yeasty...ugh. Heā€™s been eating Fromm since coming home in May and has rotated through a chicken, duck and salmon (not grain free) as well as a chicken, rabbit/duck and I think pork ( grain free). Last week he started getting frozen raw for his pm meal which was chicken. This week heā€™s getting duck. I recently started added fish oil into his pm meals. So I guess Iā€™ll start by going grain kibble in the am and cut out the chicken to see if that helps. Iā€™ve been spraying his paws with ACV/water mix and an antifungal spray. This is quite the challenge as he runs from me and I pretty much have to tackle him down to try to spray. I will start adding ACV into his food.

Sigh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
What other food/ingredients does he get with the protein?

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hereā€™s all the Frommā€™s heā€™s rotated through since May:

4bbbe5757bfb89996891000e6b7d18b5.jpg

4f8a5e3cdf0b20f0e57a78deaaa9b217.jpg

d554d5dfbc9f63bd0325b02dd96ef678.jpg

53c23313a005bdaa158be072bf17d393.jpg

b8d66010960fe440c8eabcb498507648.jpg

Heā€™s never had any issues until now. I suppose it could be the raw chicken or heā€™s just become intolerant to grains or potatoes. So I think Iā€™ll start with eliminating chicken, grains and potatoes. I think Zignature has no potatoes in their formulas.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had this issue with banks... yeast was a big issue... outside of raw (beef), the only thing that kept it away was the Fromm pork and peas (no grain and no potatoes). Thst is the only Fromm without both.

You may need to go all raw or move over to Zingnature as you said.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I had this issue with banks... yeast was a big issue... outside of raw (beef), the only thing that kept it away was the Fromm pork and peas (no grain and no potatoes). Thst is the only Fromm without both.

You may need to go all raw or move over to Zingnature as you said.

Yeah, I like to give variety which is why Iā€™m thinking of trying the Zignature. Quite a few different proteins to rotate with. If that doesnā€™t work, then Iā€™ll have to go all raw. It sucks cause heā€™s had no issues up until now and has done fine on all the Fromm heā€™s had.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah, I like to give variety which is why Iā€™m thinking of trying the Zignature. Quite a few different proteins to rotate with. If that doesnā€™t work, then Iā€™ll have to go all raw. It sucks cause heā€™s had no issues up until now and has done fine on all the Fromm heā€™s had.

Makes sense.... most 'allergies' do not show up as young pups, but after about 10 mths you start seeing issue poke their heads out

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Makes sense.... most 'allergies' do not show up as young pups, but after about 10 mths you start seeing issue poke their heads out

Jaxā€™s showed up around 8 months and Louie will be 1 in a couple of weeks.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
well crud huh! And you dont think its anything in the raw your giving? I hate when things happen that you cant pinpoint! Hanks been doing great with all the raw so far, but!!!!!!!!! I just started the turkducken which is turkey, duck and chicken, AND we went to our other home with grass at the same time. He was rubbing on the bushes too so did he get bit so made him itcy and rub on bushes?? and his interditgital cist started popping up a bit. Is it the moisture as it's seemed before??? or is it the turkkucken??? and why oh why cant i remember to wipe his feet dry!!!!!!! Anyway what the point is/was, if just one little change happens at a time it sure is easier..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™ve never seen Fromm here...but thanks for posting the ingredients. Now this is my opinion but thatā€™s sure a lot of rice, pea flour, barley, potatoes, oatmeal, ā€œmealā€ and ā€œmealā€. Means 300x the protein. My point is if youā€™re feeding a bit of each everyday is a lot of extras n youā€™ll lose track what he can tolerate and not. Stick to a bag per month. Also I know you make some of Nyala ā€˜s tail pocket mix. Once soaked with acv n completely dry add a few drops of the mix to the paws.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
well crud huh! And you dont think its anything in the raw your giving? I hate when things happen that you cant pinpoint! Hanks been doing great with all the raw so far, but!!!!!!!!! I just started the turkducken which is turkey, duck and chicken, AND we went to our other home with grass at the same time. He was rubbing on the bushes too so did he get bit so made him itcy and rub on bushes?? and his interditgital cist started popping up a bit. Is it the moisture as it's seemed before??? or is it the turkkucken??? and why oh why cant i remember to wipe his feet dry!!!!!!! Anyway what the point is/was, if just one little change happens at a time it sure is easier..

Itā€™s funny that I just started raw and then this happens. So it could be the chicken he got last week or it could be he just got an intolerance to something in the Fromm. So I will have to put my detective hat on and find the culprit.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ve never seen Fromm here...but thanks for posting the ingredients. Now this is my opinion but thatā€™s sure a lot of rice, pea flour, barley, potatoes, oatmeal, ā€œmealā€ and ā€œmealā€. Means 300x the protein. My point is if youā€™re feeding a bit of each everyday is a lot of extras n youā€™ll lose track what he can tolerate and not. Stick to a bag per month. Also I know you make some of Nyala ā€˜s tail pocket mix. Once soaked with acv n completely dry add a few drops of the mix to the paws.

Itā€™s definitely a lot of grain but I needed to keep the protein % low because of the cystinuria and the grain formulas had the lowest protein level and he didnā€™t, at least at the time, gave grain issues. But youā€™re so right about the meal, I never thought about that. And he didnā€™t get all the bags during the same period, it was one bag at a time, probably for 3 weeks or so. He had grain free a couple times but mainly did the grain formulas. I know potatoes can be an issue as well and Zignature has no potatoes.

Iā€™ll try the mixture out as well. Itā€™s seriously like Wrestlemania with this one trying to get to him to even spray his paws. He sees me with the spray bottle and game on. Youā€™d think I was torturing him.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Itā€™s definitely a lot of grain but I needed to keep the protein % low because of the cystinuria and the grain formulas had the lowest protein level and he didnā€™t, at least at the time, gave grain issues. But youā€™re so right about the meal, I never thought about that. And he didnā€™t get all the bags during the same period, it was one bag at a time, probably for 3 weeks or so. He had grain free a couple times but mainly did the grain formulas. I know potatoes can be an issue as well and Zignature has no potatoes.

Iā€™ll try the mixture out as well. Itā€™s seriously like Wrestlemania with this one trying to get to him to even spray his paws. He sees me with the spray bottle and game on. Youā€™d think I was torturing him.

Dehydrated raw foods are pretty low in protein.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Remove that yellow chicken bag if youā€™re watching protein...lentils, chickpeas, peas, pea protein n cheese...all that is also extra protein added. Dehydrated raw would be a better choice to avoid issues in his case. Just a thought.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO glad to see this post... I'm still having issue w/Walter, even after starting the cytopoint injections. He's been getting Fromm's since he was a pup, and I've switched around the proteins and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm going to start some investigating as well... it's time to make a change.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I picked up Zignature duck last night and will try it out. It does have duck meal, chickpeas, peas and pea flour but itā€™s a limited ingredient food so definitely less stuff than Fromm. I do think Fromm is a good quality food but all but one formula has potatoes and/or sweet potatoes and I know those can be triggers. All kibble has some form of starch in it, they trade one for another. This is why Jax gets all raw. Iā€™ll go that route with Louie if I have to but I want to try some other things first. As you know, heā€™s a monster and eats a ton to maintain his weight so it would be nice to feed him something a little cost effective. He was getting HK in the pm for awhile but itā€™s not cheap. I will look at some other brands as well and (try) to do the math. Jax doesnā€™t get brands that has fruits or veggies in it and he gets more novel proteins which are more expensive. If Louie is fine with fruits and veggies, I might be able to get some cheaper raw for him. Lots to look into, thatā€™s for sure.

Hereā€™s the ingredients for the Zignature. Quite a few people on here feed it with success.

e730a3315904989f498a6f446a66773c.jpg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.