I just rescued an overweight English bulldog please help

Carmenscoupons8592

Feb 5, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
As the title says I just rescued an over weight female English bulldog. She is 4 years old, she still wants to play and run ... The lady I got her from said the older lady that owned her before they did only fed table scraps 3 times a day!! So to me she is crazy over weight ...her poor toe nails are all turned to the side her pads are horrible the has sores between her toes...... I just don't know what to do for her but I know I could probably offer her a better life than the other people they picked her up and toted her everywhere she went.... So of course she's lazy but not really since I got her home she's been playing with my other pups and stuff.... Any help would be great.. Thanks so much

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
definately a weight control diet.
I've used Beneful healthy weight for Ty for a long time now.
He'd much rather have what the other puppers are having, but he knows he can't. (I have to feed them separatley)
He weighs 51lbs last months vet check, at which I was still given the lecture about him being over weight. But compared to alot of othe board members, he's not.
He most certainly isn't lazy!

If she's getting along so well with other pups, I just bet she'll have no problem transitioning over to their diet.

I'm a firm believer as far as dogs go, they are pack animals, and 'monkey-see-monkey-do'

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Twice daily feed her 1/2 - 3/4 cup of GRAIN FREE kibble mixed with a half a box of frozen green beans(warm them up in the microwave). This is the method we've been using for 20 years. It will melt the fat off of her. If she's hesitant to eat this new regimen at first do not be alarmed. Put the food down and leave it for no more than 30 minutes. After that take it away. Repeat at dinner time. It may day a couple of days but she will eventually begin to eat. Bulldogs will not starve themselves to death. Go for the highest quality kibble you can get...Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Merrick, etc. Stick with a single protein version.

Take her to the Vet(or somewhere)every 2-3 weeks and get her nails done. Trimming them often will cause the quicks to recede over time and then you can spread out the maintenance a little. Get a Dremel and used the sanding drum to do them yourself if you think you can...or have someone to help you do it. You can take the Dremel to the Vet with you and have them show you how.
When you take her to the Vet they should make her current on shots.
They will check her
ears
eyes
teeth
skin
express anal glands
under tail area
heart
lungs
belly
possibly check for worms/parasites
maybe do blood work
be prepared for a sizable initial bill
Have them show you how to clean her ears(weekly to monthly depending on the dog)
Have them show you how to care for skin folds.
Have her evaluated for seasonal allergies if she's showing any symptoms

Get her a Martingale collar and have the Vet properly fit it. You will need to adjust it as she sheds weight.

Please post pics and ask more questions.

OP
C

Carmenscoupons8592

Feb 5, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
I work at a pet store so I have access to lots of different foods... We sell fromm, science diet, iams, blue buffalo, taste of the wild.... I think that's it...... We actually have a bag of ideal balance grain free adult food that I can get for free I was going to try her on some of that and see of she will eat it.... I've got tons of green beans so that will be no problem... I'm at work now so I will have to get those when I go home... She's very active today she's been running and playing with the cats and dogs here at work.....

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
That’s great that she’s active. Getting her down to show her waistline will be much easier.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and thank you for rescuing Roxy? We need to see some pictures of your new girl!

as Chip stated great advice!! .... GRAIN free and chicken free high quality kibble.... Fromm, Zingnature, Earthborn Holistic, Acana, Orijen are the kibbles a lot of the members have good results with.

Please ask any question... it is what we are her for... to help keep them happy and healthy

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Welcome! Oscarmeyer gave you very good advice. When we got Monty he was overweight so we put him on a good food and cut down the portions. We also give him a handful of frozen green beans as a topper so he thinks he is getting more. He gets 3/4 cup, twice a day. He weighed 72 lbs, now he is between 65 - 67 lbs with a very nice waist! Not a huge difference but he is not fat anymore. In my opinion it is not necessary to give them a 'Diet' food, just smaller portions of a good food that isn't loaded with crap. We feed Monty Zignature.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
definately a weight control diet.
I've used Beneful healthy weight for Ty for a long time now.
He'd much rather have what the other puppers are having, but he knows he can't. (I have to feed them separatley)
He weighs 51lbs last months vet check, at which I was still given the lecture about him being over weight. But compared to alot of othe board members, he's not.
He most certainly isn't lazy!

If she's getting along so well with other pups, I just bet she'll have no problem transitioning over to their diet.

I'm a firm believer as far as dogs go, they are pack animals, and 'monkey-see-monkey-do'

Kim, you may want to rethink what you are feeding Ty. There are plenty of good foods out there and you certainly get more for your money with a quality food. You don't have to feed as much as they don't have all the fillers so it evens out cost wise, plus is much better for your dog. A good site to check foods is Dogfoodadvisor. This is their report on Beneful. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry/ 5 star is great but aim for at the very least a 4 star, grain free, chicken free. I cut the portions for Monty and added green beans, it did the trick, slowly but surely.

Bulldogs come in all sizes. Mine weighs between 65 -67 lbs, down from 72, my son's boy weighs 50 lbs. Mine isn't fat, his isn't skinny! If he has a waist then that is good.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Twice daily feed her 1/2 - 3/4 cup of GRAIN FREE kibble mixed with a half a box of frozen green beans(warm them up in the microwave). This is the method we've been using for 20 years. It will melt the fat off of her. If she's hesitant to eat this new regimen at first do not be alarmed. Put the food down and leave it for no more than 30 minutes. After that take it away. Repeat at dinner time. It may day a couple of days but she will eventually begin to eat. Bulldogs will not starve themselves to death. Go for the highest quality kibble you can get...Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Merrick, etc. Stick with a single protein version.

Take her to the Vet(or somewhere)every 2-3 weeks and get her nails done. Trimming them often will cause the quicks to recede over time and then you can spread out the maintenance a little. Get a Dremel and used the sanding drum to do them yourself if you think you can...or have someone to help you do it. You can take the Dremel to the Vet with you and have them show you how.
When you take her to the Vet they should make her current on shots.
They will check her
ears
eyes
teeth
skin
express anal glands
under tail area
heart
lungs
belly
possibly check for worms/parasites
maybe do blood work
be prepared for a sizable initial bill
Have them show you how to clean her ears(weekly to monthly depending on the dog)
Have them show you how to care for skin folds.
Have her evaluated for seasonal allergies if she's showing any symptoms

Get her a Martingale collar and have the Vet properly fit it. You will need to adjust it as she sheds weight.

Please post pics and ask more questions.

Excellent advice ! I have to clean one of my dog's ears daily since she gets a lot of wax in them. Some people can get by with weekly or monthly cleanings. Also, if you need vaccinations, rabies shot should be only every 3 years ( insist on the 3 year shot ) , and the core vaccine is probably not needed if she had the last one after she was 1 year old. The core vaccine lasts at least 3 years and probably a lifetime, you can get titres done if you are worried about whether she is protected. I wouldn't get dog's anal glands expressed unless she is scooting since a normal dog poo should express them naturally.

I would stock some basic medicines and food supplements to have on hand-
Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar ( to mix 50:50 with witch hazel to clean ears )
Witch hazel ( for ear cleaning and to clean wrinkles and tail pocket )
Ketoconazole/Chlorhexidine shampoo ( eg. Ketohex or Curaseb ) to clean wrinkles and tail pocket and to wash if have staph infection
Cotton rounds to use to clean ear
Spray bottle or dropper bottle for ear solution
Coban first aid wrap for legs
Virgin organic coconut oil, turmeric powder, pepper grinder, kelp ( 1/8 tsp per day to food ) https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B010OV3ONO
Canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ) to keep on hand if dog is getting diarrhea or constipated

OP
C

Carmenscoupons8592

Feb 5, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Oh wow!! Everyone is helping me out a great deal.... I started her on science diet grain free and green beans today... She's okay with it I'm sure she's had green beans before and loved them. I had her with me all day at work she's a great dog knows how to walk on a leash and goes to the door to go potty, someone has spent a lot of time working with her I think.
She had rabies, influenza ,and dhlpp booster in August of last year, I have the vet papers that say that, she loves her squeaky toy, and loves to follow me around ,I plan to take her to the vet next week when I get paid, taking her in was a spare of the moment thing so I didn't save any money up,

Question,
1.how would I go about cleaning her tail flappy thing?
2.her nose is very dry ,so dry it has a crack down the middle and was bleeding,.
3.what can I use on her pads to help with them? They are horrible look like it's long hairs growing out of them, I'll post pics tomorrow she's asleep after a long day.

That's all I can think of now.... Thanks for everyones advice and help

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Question,
1.how would I go about cleaning her tail flappy thing?
2.her nose is very dry ,so dry it has a crack down the middle and was bleeding,.
3.what can I use on her pads to help with them? They are horrible look like it's long hairs growing out of them, I'll post pics tomorrow she's asleep after a long day.

Everyone has given you great advice!! And yes one protein per bag so you can eliminate allergies if any. My brindle has a tail pocket issue which I control with a mix I made of essential oils but I dont understand when you say her tail flappy thing. Pictures would be great too. We lovvvve photos. For the crack nose get some extra virgin coconut oil and moisture the nose. Have the vet check that too just in case it’s something else since it bleeds. But usually CO will do the job. Dog pads n hair growing probably Hyperkeratosis...vet needs to check that to confirm. If it’s that vet will trim off hyperkeratosis off the paw which has to be done on regular basis.

https://www.caninejournal.com/hyperkeratosis-in-dogs/
[MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION] I agree with [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION]. I’m curious, what do you feed the other puppies?

OP
C

Carmenscoupons8592

Feb 5, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Ah yes her tail pocket I could not think of what it was called... How do I clean it... I gave her a bath last night and dried her off and kinda looked at it and it stinks so bad, so I know it needa to be cleaned... I put some coconut oil on her nose yesterday and it has helped tremendously I've also put some on it today its still cracked but has stopped bleeding and does not look like it has been bleeding at all....... I'm definitely taking her to the vet I did not know they could trim the pada on there feet.. That will be good. She's doing excellent today with walking and getting up it's a lot better than it has been.i feed all my other dogs Purina puppy Chow there stomachs are so sensitive if I give them anything else they throw up and have runny stool... I dont really want to feed her that since it's really fatty...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Use witch hazel to clean her pocket.

As for food... science diet is pure crap, not a lick of nutritional value.

Please do some research and look into feeding all your babies a much higher quality food... watch issues and vet visits slowly disappear .

Slow transition lessens upset belly or runny poo

Earthborn Holistic
Fromm
Acana
Orijen
The Honest Kitchen
Zingature

Yes, they are expensive but you will see drastic difference in your babies health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Just remember, the good thing about the more expensive foods is that you don't have to feed them as much. It is a false economy to feed a cheaper food as you have to feed them twice as much to fill them up and you are filling them up with rubbish! My 27 lb bag of Zignature lasts me 6 weeks and that is for two dogs, Monty and my 25lb Dachshund. $11.50 a week for two dogs (not including the green beans) is a bargain!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You can use an electric clipper to clean the hair off the paws.

Clean the tail pocket with witch hazel on an ongoing basis, but if it's really bad right now,try this regimen:
Mix a little bit of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo (eg. Ketohex, Curaseb) mixed with water in a spray bottle, spray forcibly once daily into tail region till liquid coming out is clear. Then dry thoroughly and put on some antibiotic ointment like neosporin, polysporin, silver sulfadiazine, or Nu-Stock. As it gets better switch at end of cleaning to a cream such as Desitin or Zincofax. Do this once daily after a poo, or twice daily if dog poos twice daily.

Agree with Christine- do not use Science Diet ! The least allergenic dry dog food brand seems to be Zignature for our allergic dogs here. Make sure the food is grain free and preferably not chicken. I think though you should try to feed dehydrated raw or frozen raw if you can afford it since they are the least likely to cause allergies.

Most Reactions