Any insight on brain tumors..

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
Hey.. well we took our little Gigi yesterday for an MRI and we're told that she has a fairly large brain tumor. Obviously we are devastated as it's sinking in today. She is spending the next few nights at the hospital for treatment and tests . Does anyone have anything they can share with us what to expect or any info at all? It's crazy because after we were told this I went and looked up "signs of brain tumor" in dogs and there they all were. So scary, the signs were happening right in front of us yesterday throughout her horrible day of doctors, MRI, anesthesia , and then not coming home with us. She's about to turn 7 in March and I just wanna know how much time we should expect left with her ( I will ask the dr as well, it's just yesterday was like a blur for us so I couldn't even think of all my hundreds of questions) , again sorry for rambling but anyone with first hand experience with this would be great to hear from. Thank you Joe & Cindy and of course Gigi

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sadly I don't have experience with brain tumors but you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry to read this... i have no experience but send you prayers and positive thoughts.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey.. well we took our little Gigi yesterday for an MRI and we're told that she has a fairly large brain tumor. Obviously we are devastated as it's sinking in today. She is spending the next few nights at the hospital for treatment and tests . Does anyone have anything they can share with us what to expect or any info at all? It's crazy because after we were told this I went and looked up "signs of brain tumor" in dogs and there they all were. So scary, the signs were happening right in front of us yesterday throughout her horrible day of doctors, MRI, anesthesia , and then not coming home with us. She's about to turn 7 in March and I just wanna know how much time we should expect left with her ( I will ask the dr as well, it's just yesterday was like a blur for us so I couldn't even think of all my hundreds of questions) , again sorry for rambling but anyone with first hand experience with this would be great to hear from. Thank you Joe & Cindy and of course Gigi

Please ramble as much as you want...we are here for you! I am so sorry to hear about all of this. The only thing I personally would do and I said it often I would use frankincense essential oil. It is just as safe for dogs! Yes I would follow what my vet says but guarantee I would be putting 3x a day Frankincense oil on my pup’s head. Where the tumor is. There are a lot of proven studies it shrinks tumors. A lady’s cat had a tumor under the belly side. She used FO and eventually it disappeared. On a cat you MUST use a carrier oil like coconut oils but on a dog is direct. This is what I would do n my opinion cause I would try everything in my power that can help. You can read more info and other links within the attached link below.

https://draxe.com/frankincense-oil-cancer/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

mjowanna

Dec 19, 2012
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brittany(2008-2016); Angelica
My bulldog Brittany was also diagnosed with a large brain tumor in December 2015, after several seizures in one day. The doctor told us she had weeks to months left to live when she was diagnosed. She died at age 8 in May 2016. The seizure meds worked for the first month and then she experienced gran mal seizures every other week, then weekly, then every few days before she passed. One month before she died, because of all the seizures, I called the at-home euthanasia vet to our house to assess if it was time to put Brittany to sleep. The vet said she thought Brittany was still very alert and responsive, considering her condition and the size of the tumor, and did not think it was time for her to be put down. The vet felt Brittany would benefit from Chinese herbal meds. Those meds did seem to help, and Brittany seemed a little more like her old self during her last month. So I would recommend visiting a holistic vet, in addition to administering traditional seizure meds and sedatives. Brittany was prescribed diazepam as a sedative after seizures and when she began panting and pacing, which happened more frequently at night. Essentially, what we noticed was a slow decline in Brittany's abilities and habits. She slept a lot and did not enjoy doing things she used to love to do. Eventually, there were more bad days than good days. I miss her so much. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am so sorry for your baby sickness! This is something you never expect to happen. Unimaginable what pain you are going through right now. Usually brain tumour in dogs without treatment kills them in not more than 6 months after first symptoms appear. Head has not much extra space inside and quite soon brain starts to be compressed. Not much can be done with brain tumours in dogs, unfortunately. Just alleviate the symptoms like seizures etc. Just give her as much TLC as you can until she has more good in her life than bad, and when she will be in pain let her go.

OP
G

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
Thank you for everyone's kind words..we went to visit with her earlier and it's just very sad. I don't think she recognized us . She was still showing signs that were typical of the tumor which is upsetting but the doctor said she's made a little progress. They want to keep her there thru the weekend and then possibly consider radiation. We are just overwhelmed on what to do. It's literally a day by day process, so we plan on just taking each day at a time and hopefully make the right decisions.thanks again

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Brain tumors are typically slow growing. Many dogs have them for many years before diagnosis. Few if any symptoms appear until the tumor gets large. You will rarely ever hear of a dog being diagnosed with a small brain tumor. It’s not uncommon for dogs to live long lives and pass from something unrelated.
There is no cure that I’m aware of. Supportive care, love and attention are the best medicine. Be watchful of seizures...they usually start with 1 every now and then and get progressively worse, longer and more often. That will signal you to do the right thing. Also, dogs will walk up against an obstacle and although they can’t go forward, with continue walking...pressing their head against that object...kind of like when you press on your head with your hand to gain relief from a headache.
Location of tumor will have profound affect of specific symptoms...failing eyesight, aggression, lethargy, circle walking, etc, etc.
what kind of symptoms hav you seen?
Have steroids been prescribed?

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I just read the post. I am so very sorry for Gigi and you, her loving family. Please take gentle care of yourselves. You will know when it’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
She basically has had all of the symptoms except aggression. We did notice some strange behavior over the past few weeks or months but never even considered it could be something this serious. It all adds up now that I'm aware. It's truly breaking our hearts but we gotta just take it day by day and enjoy whatever time we have left with her. And yes, she is being given steroids to try and lessen the swelling. She's been at the hospital since Thursday so this is all pretty new . We are realizing that it takes a little time to see how she reacts to treatments and go from there..we will go back and see her tomorrow and praying she's doing better. Again, thank you for your concern and kind words . It's truly appreciated.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13314]Grecbro[/MENTION] I am so sorry for your situation. I have been there, but with a German Shepherd. I didn't want to answer, as the outcome was not a good one. She was only 6 months old, when her seizures started. They got progressively worse, as time went on.changing meds, but soon none helped. During a seizure, she would lose control of her bodily functions. The when she got up, she would take about 15 min. before she could "see" she would walk and walk,and I would have to make sure she didn't hurt herself. Unexpectedly one night, my husband died of an aneurysm,and that same night, she had a massive seizure and she,too died. He had picked her out as a pup. She was 1 year old.
I wish the best for you and your baby. Somehow, we can get through the most horrible things. We are never the same, but at those times I had to keep telling my self "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".(meaning,dwell on all the GOOD things you had.) It is so hard, but it does help. Now I am crying,again.
I am praying for you and GIGI, that your time together will be quality time,and when her time comes, you will be with her.Don't let her spend all her time in hospital, if there is no hope. So sorry that I can't give you better news. Everyone here will be here for you, no matter what .

OP
G

Grecbro

Dec 5, 2014
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
Hey everyone, sadly we had to put Gigi down on Monday. We can't even describe the grief and heartache we are feeling although I'm sure some of you have been there. We decided to take her home Monday and with the help of our longtime vet we had to make this very difficult decision. The effects of the tumor were just overbearing for her, with no positive end in sight. The tumor was pushing on her small skull and putting pressure on her nasal cavity as well. The MRI showed all of this, & we couldnt imagine making her do multiple radiation treatments & anesthesia , it's just too much . She was miserable & in pain, and we knew it. So, we had family & friends come over Monday afternoon to say goodbye (you couldn't imagine how many people came or tried to come over with like an hours notice) and it was sweet. Thank you to all of you who sent messages and posts, it means alot and has really helped us through these past few days. No regrets & I know no doubt this breed is so so special & just so loveable , RIP to our little Gigi Girl. 3/27/11-2/5/18

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online