Post-clipping alopecia

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
As many of you know, Monty had a deep infection near his tail that involved surgeries and of course, the hair being shaved in the area. It always took a long time to grow back, months. We are going through it again but this time his skin is different. Half of the area has grown in but the other half has not and the skin is black and scaly, but not dry-scaly. Has anyone gone through anything like this and did the hair eventually grow back in? He has a few bristles but they aren't changing. I am worried that it will never grow back. I put NuStock on the area and that is when the skin went black so I am scared to use it again. He had the last surgery in July.

The yellowish flaky stuff is the remains of the NuStock.

monty rear end.jpg

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter had a bad case of flank alopecia this past summer... I've been giving him Nordic Naturals Omega-3 pet soft gels (Amazon) for several months now on top of his kibble. His one side is coming back in, but the other side has been extremely slow growing. I'm honestly not sure if if help/works but the vet didn't seem concerned about it.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty gets seasonal flank alopecia too occasionally (a slight case last year on one side) but the skin is a different texture. Also, you can see the clear lines where it has not grown. I will start him on Melatonin and see if it helps.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think I would have some blood work done. One cause could be a thyroid problem, there is Seasonal Flank aloepecia,(sp?) but not usuaLLY this much hair loss. Another is something called Aloepecia X, which is an unknown cause, the last one I heard of is that trauma can also be a cause. NuStock is highly unlikely to have cause it. All the years I have used it on everyone-black skin never happened. When Maude has SFA, she lost hair on both sides, and skin turned black. Hair grew back on one side, but not the other.
Melatonin and Vit.E is usually given for SFA. Is the skin rough,dry, or just normal skin? It's not like mange or folliculitis is it? [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION]

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Great advice from ddnene!
I think that it is still SFA on a traumatised area, despite it looks a bit different. Fish oil and melatonin! I donā€™t think blood work will give any clear answer, I mean it wonā€™t hurt, but donā€™t expect much from it. I wouldnā€™t spend money on it right now.
What concerns fish oil, my Tank has big problem with shedding and he does well only on good quality fish oil with high amount of EPA and DHA. I know that Nordic Naturals is considered to be good and bought it for Tank and my family (you know, these fluffy piglets get all the best), but I was shocked when Tankā€™s skin wasnā€™t good with NN capsules. But he did much better with liquid NN fish oil. So, I just would like to recommend you to buy liquid NN fish oil. You donā€™t want to spend around 40 bucks and get no result.
P.S. for myself I now buy another brand, and Tank got his special fish oil from South Africa, luckily my hubby traveled to his birthplace and was able to bring 3 litres of magic stuff! Waters around South Africa are not so overfished like in Europe and America, and more clean environmentally, so fish oil is made from real wild fish and has better quality.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
And be careful with melatonin, as in some dogs it can cause diarrhoea, once I tried to give it to Tank and results were...incredible :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Monty gets seasonal flank alopecia too occasionally (a slight case last year on one side) but the skin is a different texture. Also, you can see the clear lines where it has not grown. I will start him on Melatonin and see if it helps.

Not sure if this is SFA, but what helped with Lambeau fur loss was fish oil.... now once I switched to raw I have seen a great improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Many thanks for the responses.

When it was slow to grow back before (nearly a year), the vet called it 'Post-clipping Alopecia'. The big difference this time is the texture of the skin and the colour. It is not dry or crusty. it is shiny, black, like a bad leather. That is what concerns me. He was shaved 3 times in fairly quick succession, the last time, the hair wasn't even close to growning back from the time before.

I looked up folliculitis and I'm pretty sure it is not that or mange.

He has been on fish oil for a long time but I will check out the different brand. I will start him on the Melatonin tonight

View attachment 110713
This is his SFA. As you can see it looks quite different to his shaved area.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As many of you know, Monty had a deep infection near his tail that involved surgeries and of course, the hair being shaved in the area. It always took a long time to grow back, months. We are going through it again but this time his skin is different. Half of the area has grown in but the other half has not and the skin is black and scaly, but not dry-scaly. Has anyone gone through anything like this and did the hair eventually grow back in? He has a few bristles but they aren't changing. I am worried that it will never grow back. I put NuStock on the area and that is when the skin went black so I am scared to use it again. He had the last surgery in July.

The yellowish flaky stuff is the remains of the NuStock.

View attachment 110709
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. .. Chip ever see anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.