Help Needed! Middle of the night licking & panting

kimjak2

Jan 31, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I recently adopted a 6 year old female English that we believe was used for breeding than discarded when she couldnā€™t breed anymore. Sheā€™s been great & have had no problems til recently. Lately she will wake up in the middle of the night licking her legs & my blanket til itā€™s soaked. When I get her to stop that, she starts panting and panting and panting. I canā€™t get her to stop. My house isnā€™t hot (70) & I have my ceiling fan on every night for her. I havenā€™t gotten much sleep lately. Anyone have any thoughts? Iā€™m going to get her into the vet but thought Id check here 1st. Thanks for any information to help my Lola.

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Check in between her paws and make sure she doesnā€™t have a yeast If bright pink Brosco was prescribed mometamax but that was awhile back ā€”ā€”-the prescription cleaned the problem up

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try feeding your last meal earlier in the day so that there is less metabolic activity going on late at night and see if that helps. There are a lot of causes including pain,heart failure, liver disease, Cushings disease, Addisons disease, anxiety etc so you may want dog to get bloodwork at the vet to rule out any more serious causes.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Try feeding your last meal earlier in the day so that there is less metabolic activity going on late at night and see if that helps. There are a lot of causes including pain,heart failure, liver disease, Cushings disease, Addisons disease, anxiety etc so you may want dog to get bloodwork at the vet to rule out any more serious causes.

I agree... my older boxer had Cushings disease, and she started panting and pacing at night. I would get blood work done at the vets to rule anything out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I recently adopted a 6 year old female English that we believe was used for breeding than discarded when she couldnā€™t breed anymore. Sheā€™s been great & have had no problems til recently. Lately she will wake up in the middle of the night licking her legs & my blanket til itā€™s soaked. When I get her to stop that, she starts panting and panting and panting. I canā€™t get her to stop. My house isnā€™t hot (70) & I have my ceiling fan on every night for her. I havenā€™t gotten much sleep lately. Anyone have any thoughts? Iā€™m going to get her into the vet but thought Id check here 1st. Thanks for any information to help my Lola.

it sounds like she may be in some type of pain... I would have the vet do an evaluation with blood work to rule out any health issues. Could be arthritis setting in too

Please keep us posted.

:welcome3:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.