Dknepp44

Jan 29, 2018
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley Bear
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out for any and all experienced information with grand mal seizures. My dog Wrigley Bear just started having seizure just before his 3 year birthday Nov 26th 2017 . He is a Victorian bulldog. Neutered , fully vaccinated, great health and not over weight 58 pounds. We had blood, u/a and stool done and everything came back normal. No other testing done so thus far. Is on zonsamide100mg every 12 hours . He is a super sweet dog and my 13 year daughter just got Wrigley Bear and herself cerification to do therapy dog just a few months before all this happen. She is heart broken that this all happen to him. Looking for as much information as possible. Food, supplements, views on hemp oil, anything else that need to be aware of. Thank you Dawn 20160106_114646.jpg

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I have a 9 year old Boston Terrier who began having gm's when she was about 3.
The first one only lasted about 1 minute, and soon as it was over she was like nothing happened.
I talked it over with my vet, he checked her over everything was fine, decided to not to treat and see what happens.
she didn't have any more for several months, till one morning she began having them about every 10 min.
Rushed to the vet, he kept her over night and told me she had epilepsy.
started her on phenobarbital daily, and she's had no more since.
she gets drug blood levels checked every 6 months and they are stable.
she's been completely siezure free for almost 5 years now, completely normal, no side effects.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Cheryl will be a long soon... she has a 10 year old, Vegas that has had epilepsy all his life, diagnosed at 10 months and he is doing very well on CBD oil. Shear our site.... she documented most of his journey in blogs and threads here.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I personally would immediately put my dog on the keto diet. Keto was made especially for epilepsy patients in the 1920s. You can do it also for your dog. According to all research n studies epilepsy stops. It’s basically a high fat diet (good fats!). Also use some frankincense essential oil as per one of our member uses on his bully for head tremors. And of course see your vet!

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.montella.9/posts/10214983522840126

https://dogfood.guru/best-dog-food-for-dogs-with-seizures-epilepsy/

Ketogenic Diet Linked to Seizure Reduction in Dogs with Epilepsy

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Cheryl is the resident expert on seizures. I'm sorry to hear you've experienced it because it is so very hard to watch them go through a seizure. My Own experience started a few years ago when Chumley was 5...he had a few Petit mal seizures over the course of one day then a grand mal that night. I rushed him to the emergency vet who also happened to have a neurologist on site..he gave him phenobarbital..I had an MRI done to see if there were any brain tumors which thankfully came up negative. The vet advised keeping him On phenobarbital for 6 months and then weaning him off to see if they come back. After six months we did just That and he had a petit mal soon after. He's been on phenobarbital ever since. The one common factor in both instances were a recent rabies shot. Two vets said they were unrelated to the seizures but the neurologist agreed when i explained an increase in head tremors immediately after both shots. I'm at the point now where I want to take him off the pheno as I'm pretty sure the vaccine had a lot to do with the seizures but I don't want to risk him having another one if I'm wrong. He's been fine on a low dose of pheno for 18 months so for now I'm sticking with it,
Good luck I know hiw difficult it is to experience and how helpless you feel.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
good interesting stuff here. I wouldn't hesitate for a min to try the cbd oil. Hear great results. So sorry your having to deal with this. My lovely NoWell (shih tzu... she was my service dog.. I was the one with seizures first :( ) began seizures and this was just before the availability of the CBD came out. Oh how i wish i could have had access :(

OP
Dknepp44

Dknepp44

Jan 29, 2018
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley Bear
Thank you all who replied. Love all the infornation you are sending. Its one thing to read info on the internet, but another to have true on going life experiences with these furry babies. Cbd oil ? Is there one better than other and are there any doseage amounts?? So appreciate the loving support ♥️

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Nelly had her seizure episode at 2. First vet recommended $10K worth of surgery and tests in response. Second opinion gave her rx for phenobarbital and sent her home. She has taken it twice a day since, no further episodes. No other interventions as those mentioned, no supplements, no diet changes. The medicine runs about $30 a month.

OP
Dknepp44

Dknepp44

Jan 29, 2018
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley Bear
Will Cheryl respond or can you message directly to her? I have so many questions

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Will Cheryl respond or can you message directly to her? I have so many questions

Let me see if I can get her.... but DEFINITELY , you can PM her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

She will be along... at work

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

I'm so very sorry it took me so long to make my way here. Like Christine said, Vegas was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy at just 10 months old. He has grand mal seizures every 3 to 6 weeks. At least I should say, he USE to have seizures every 3 to 6 weeks. We started him on CBD oil in September 2017 and we just went 85 days without a seizure. Sadly our successful streak ended on 1/25 when he had 2 grand mals and a petit mal. Please read our story... just some info about who we are and how we came to deal with this.
I am available for questions any time... here or Whatsapp or even text. I can give you my number for quicker answering. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/54866-vegas-story-life-epilepsy.html

92ca5a5e9310ec766b1225a64fbe4764.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so very sorry it took me so long to make my way here. Like Christine said, Vegas was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy at just 10 months old. He has grand mal seizures every 3 to 6 weeks. At least I should say, he USE to have seizures every 3 to 6 weeks. We started him on CBD oil in September 2017 and we just went 85 days without a seizure. Sadly our successful streak ended on 1/25 when he had 2 grand mals and a petit mal. Please read our story... just some info about who we are and how we came to deal with this.
I am available for questions any time... here or Whatsapp or even text. I can give you my number for quicker answering. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/54866-vegas-story-life-epilepsy.html

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

So sorry to hear about the seizures.
If you decide to add on CBD oil make sure vet knows since:
a) CBD can raise liver enzymes ( 5% of patients ) so you will have to that monitored
b)From medical textbook: Cannabidiol is a potent inhibitor of the CYP3A and CYP2C enzymes, which are responsible for metabolism of clobazam, phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine, tiagabine, and valproate. Therefore levels of these drugs will increase and you will have to check levels and decrease doses.

OP
Dknepp44

Dknepp44

Jan 29, 2018
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley Bear
Help help plz .. Cheryl please contact me ASAP. Wrigley Bear had seven seizures in a row from between the hours of 10am an 1pm. I really need to talk with you soon. I sent you pm with my phone number.

Most Reactions