helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
That’s the title of the link attached. Not from me. Mind you could be lol

I came across this article which of course I agree 200% with (unless it’s a medical issue) avoiding castrations. Of course that’s MY opinion.....Why I opt for a vasectomy for Duke. It’s a very interesting article. Shows you how vets don’t want to think out of the box!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-hodgson/think-twice-before-you-cu_b_8002116.html

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I haven't heard of this procedure, but I have heard of a similar procedure for female dogs. Instead of removing the uterus, the tubes are tied, leaving the female parts intact.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
When I first read about Zeutering I thought it sounded like a great idea, but now I don't think so. Because it leaves 50% of testosterone production intact, you will still have the marking and humping and aggressive behaviours you may be seeking to get rid of. Also, it's a procedure that requires specialized training, as it can cause abscesses and a lot of pain if done improperly. If you neuter your dog after he has finished his growth, about 12-14 months of age, you will avoid many of the health consequences of removing testosterone. Also, zeuterin is only approved for dogs between 3 months and 10 months of age, so you are reducing testosterone to 50% of normal levels much earlier than if you waited till after their growth was finished.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great article [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]. Interesting.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My GS was castrated. He turned more n more aggressive as he was getting older. This dog was trained to a T. His breeder breeds only for the RCMP n trains just for them even agreed, castrations is not for ever dog. He knows his dogs as only 9% of GS will make it as K9s and that goes for Search n Rescue dogs. All my previous dogs were neutered and still marked, showed all other dogs who was alpha cause of testosterones. We all have our opinions that’s for sure. I can guarantee that never again will I ever put any of my future pets through a castrations. [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], the procedure you heard is same as Duke but on the male side.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
This is typical example of medical business when they sell everyone procedure which is not for everyone’s pet. I told many times, that in Europe it’s not so common approach- castration is usually used in case of disturbing behaviours, like excessive humping, marking or aggression issues, or medical problems that call for it. Vast majority of male dogs is left intact. Female dogs are spayed more often, of course.
I know, that later in life intact males have higher risk of prostate problems, but if it happens, then we will consider castration, as then these problems will be reversed with the surgery.
But for now Tank is the sweetest bulldog, he doesn’t do humping, he isn’t aggressive, he never runs away from mommy,
i must say he has a passion to wee from time to time on my bathroom rugs, but I must be vigilant and close the door! So, we keep his jewels:yes:

Most Reactions