platinum

Feb 1, 2016
Country
Philipines
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi everyone...

After almost 2 years of research, I finally got a 9 month old EB. There are still some stuff I need help with like:

1. I've read that the EB are not meant for athletic stuff but I see some EB races on youtube. There are also some posts saying their bulldog does a daily walk of up to 20 mins

2. Even in an air conditioned room, my dog's tongue keeps sticking out and its like he's panting. The vet checked his heart rate and everything was good. He said that since he has a big underbite, its natural. Is this true?

Brutus weighs 23kilos

Thanks

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He may, at some point in time, benefit from soft palate reduction surgery. Three of my 5 are VERY active...the other 2 not so much. Taller, leggier specimens are usually the more active models. Shorter legs, big head, and barrel chested versions are usually a bit more lethargic.
All bulldogs are capable of great bursts of speed that seemingly manifest from nothing. Sometimes motivated by food, prey, or shear delight, it's best not to intervene in one of these episodes. You'd be putting yourself at great risk. Just sit back and enjoy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

As mentioned by Chip.... they are all different. Some have energy of a lab and great breathing, others are lazy but have burst of energy. You will get to know all the ins and outs of your boy as time goes on, but you have to monitor and be very aware of his limitations as you get to recognize them

good luck and please share some pictures

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Congratulations! It took me two years to finally get one, after planning and saving. I got her at 4 months and she turned 2 in November.
I agree about the soft palette surgery, and unfortunately, Bulldogs are born with very large tongues(just a side note). Dinah has definitely benefited from her soft palette surgery.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He may, at some point in time, benefit from soft palate reduction surgery. Three of my 5 are VERY active...the other 2 not so much. Taller, leggier specimens are usually the more active models. Shorter legs, big head, and barrel chested versions are usually a bit more lethargic.
All bulldogs are capable of great bursts of speed that seemingly manifest from nothing. Sometimes motivated by food, prey, or shear delight, it's best not to intervene in one of these episodes. You'd be putting yourself at great risk. Just sit back and enjoy.

Shorter legs, big head, and barrel chested versions are usually a bit more lethargic.... explain Duke! Dukeā€™s like on speed 24/7. :D

OP
P

platinum

Feb 1, 2016
Country
Philipines
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks for your repliesā€¦ This is Brutus
20180118_144246.jpg

Since the AC was on, the room temp was good. He did not run but he was like this, he kept pantingā€¦ I forgot to mention that we just got him and heā€™s on his first week. Is it a factor? Maybe heā€™s not comfortable yet?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You say AC on, but at what temperature and ambient humidity? Anything over 72 and our guys begin to stress a little... especially if humidity is high(>60%).

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15418]platinum[/MENTION] If you can possibly find a Bulldog Veterinarian, have his palette and nodules checked, to be sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for your repliesā€¦ This is Brutus
View attachment 110559

Since the AC was on, the room temp was good. He did not run but he was like this, he kept pantingā€¦ I forgot to mention that we just got him and heā€™s on his first week. Is it a factor? Maybe heā€™s not comfortable yet?

what is the AC set on?

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Congrats on your new bully!! All bullies are different though our Dudley runs to the door every day desperate to go for his daily walk with Chris our dog walker, on the other hand when we try and get his harness on at the weekend to go for a walk with us he's like a bucking bronco! and wants to stay on the sofa, that been said once we get him out the door he will gladly walk for an hour or so with us (as long as its cold :D)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.