intradigital cyst

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I remember reading something about bully's being prone to develop cyst between their foot pads.
has anybody had any experience with this?
what do they look like, and how are they treated?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... they normally are due to allergies. They look like big pimples or blisters.

There is an article about them on the 'Bulldog Information' tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
It's been our experience that <5% of Bulldogs will ever develop an interdigital cyst. When they do though, they can be very painful and look particularly nasty. Of the dogs we've had come though our home, only 10 or so have had repeat flare ups. I agree that allergy dogs seem to be most affected.
This is Cocoa. She came in with mammary cancer and stayed as a Hospice patient...with us only 6 months. She had a couple of interdigital cysts in that time, same foot same location. I'm confident that, had she lived longer, she would have continued to have trouble with them.
DSC04123.jpg

L1000194.jpg

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
the reason I asked, I maybe (no sure) noticed Ty limping on his left front,
I looked, and looked and compaired with the right foot/leg and saw nothing amiss.
like I said it could have been my imagination, he kinda has this funny shuffle gate anyway.

no I definatley didn't see anything like that, that looks awful!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
That particular one was the worst one I’d seen at the time, photoworthy. Most we see are smaller and are not particularly painful...at least not so painful as to cause a limp. Licking is about the only reaction you’d notice.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
the reason I asked, I maybe (no sure) noticed Ty limping on his left front,
I looked, and looked and compaired with the right foot/leg and saw nothing amiss.
like I said it could have been my imagination, he kinda has this funny shuffle gate anyway.

no I definatley didn't see anything like that, that looks awful!!

Hair overgrowth between the paws can cause dogs to walk in pain as well. Best way to get rid of it is to use an electric trimmer.

If it is an interdigital cyst most people here soak the paw in an epsom salt bath and then put on some antibiotic cream after eg. panalog (antibiotic/antifungal) , Nu-Stock, neosporin and clotrimazole cream together , etc. If they are really bad they have to be drained by vet and dog given antibiotic.

Most common cause of interdigital cysts is allergy. If your dog really has one switch him to a really good quality kibble such as Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Carna4 etc. , or even better to frozen raw , or dehydrated raw. If it's environmental allergies you can add on an antihistamine such as cetirizine.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Im not sure if this will be helpful or not but,,,,,,, When talking to Hanks vet, (as hank was developing a couple) he showed me his under paw. There was stinky black gunk under and between toes. Those big thick fat paws old moisture. Unbeleaveable or unbenounced to me, YET another place a bulldog needs cleaning! I did the soaks (pain in the rear) soaks, used Colodial silver on aft, and they went away.. (they never got real ugly or sore looking but you can sort of see traces of them in pics) , but if i dont remember to clean those toes, i will notice him trying to clean out himself, and as soon as i do, no more licking um. he's a kicker and throw the moist dirt around after a pee or poop so he gathers grass or moist dirt in their daily ;/

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
thanks guys, he goes to the Beauty parlor (groomer) today, I'll ask her to take a look, she may see something I missed.

Bevyb77

May 28, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Caesar and Cleo
My bully Caesar has them continuously for months now after trying many antibiotics etc the only thing that has calmed them so far is a charcoal and clay paste daily which has eased the blood blister like cysts he develops on each front paw. I also spray with tenactin and bathe with a vet shampoo. He does have allergies so the vet has him on a kangaroo kibble to rule out protein allergy. My other bully is 100% fine. Caesar is 1 1/2 years old

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My bully Caesar has them continuously for months now after trying many antibiotics etc the only thing that has calmed them so far is a charcoal and clay paste daily which has eased the blood blister like cysts he develops on each front paw. I also spray with tenactin and bathe with a vet shampoo. He does have allergies so the vet has him on a kangaroo kibble to rule out protein allergy. My other bully is 100% fine. Caesar is 1 1/2 years old

Could also be environmental allergies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has small ones now and then, although they don't seem to be painful. Once he got antibiotics which cleared themup quickly but apparently they are prone to come back so we have been told to use chlorehexidine on a regular basis (this is our first choice for all skin problems!). We use TrizChlor4 Shampoo (wet his feet, work up a lather and leave for 5-10 mins, then rinse).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online