Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=1]HEMP FOR DOGS: SHOULD YOU USE IT?[/h]

facebook-white-60.png
pinterest-white-60.png
twitter-white-60.png
googleplus-white-60.png
email-white-60.png

Hemp-Blue-Background.png

Is your dog missing out on a great superfood? You might be thinking, ā€œHemp is a variety of cannabis, Iā€™m not giving that to my dog!ā€ If you are, it would be too bad because hemp has many health promoting properties nearly every dog could use!
[h=1]Why I Think You Should Give Your Dog Hemp[/h]Hemp is one of our oldest and most versatile plants, dating back to the 28th century BC. Today, hemp is used in foods and even textiles, but weā€™re most interested in the hemp seed and the oil it produces.
Unlike fish oil, hemp seed oil contains the perfect ratio of Omega-6 (linoleum acid) to Omega-3 (alpha linolenic acid) fatty acids. These are essential fatty acids, meaning your dog canā€™t produce them and needs to get them in his diet. A good balance of these Omega oils is critical to your dogā€™s health because they work synergistically in the body.
Hemp seeds are also high in an essential Omega-6 fatty acid called gamma linolenic acid (GLA). Thatā€™s important because thereā€™s some really good reasons to boost the GLA in your dogā€™s diet:
[h=3]1. It Fights Cancer[/h]Researchers at the American Cancer Society say thereā€™s evidence that people with cancer, diabetes and skin allergies donā€™t make enough GLA ā€¦ and these issues are incredibly common in dogs too. While GLA is considered a conditionally essential fatty acid (which means that most dogs can make enough of it, most of the time), there are many circumstances (hard exercise or stress) where dogs canā€™t make enough GLA and supplementing can become important.
Finally, because the GLA is perfectly balanced with Omega-3 fats, hemp seed oil will help reduce inflammation in your dog and strengthen the immune system.
[h=3]2. It Reduces Joint Pain[/h]Researchers in the Journal of Arthritis and Rheumatology found that the GLA found in hemp seeds reduced arthritis symptoms by 25% compared to the placebo at 4%. Once again, this is because the perfect balance of fatty acids helps to reduce inflammation naturally.
[Related: Does your dog suffer from joint pain? These herbs can help][h=3]3. It Improves Skin And Coat[/h]Hemp seed has long been used in cosmetic products and soaps because the oil can penetrate the inner layers of the skin and promote healthy cellular growth.
The balanced fatty acids also play an important role in reducing the inflammation associated with common skin issues, including atopic dermatitis, pruritic skin disease and granulomas.

[h=1]How Hemp Seed Oil Works[/h]Your dog has substances in his body called prostaglandins. These are like hormones and they circulate around the body, helping to smooth muscle contractions, control inflammation, regulate the body temperature and other vital functions.
The GLA thatā€™s abundant in hemp seed is a building block for prostaglandins. Researchers are looking at GLA supplementation today as an important component of proper hormone health and development.
[h=3]A Word Of Caution![/h]Before you start adding hemp oil to your dogā€™s meals, thereā€™s a couple of things you should first know.
Hemp seed oil is a polyunsaturated fat, which means the oil is unstable. If you cook your dogā€™s food, you wonā€™t want to add hemp seed oil to the food while cooking as this can cause the oil to become rancid and cause health issues in your dog.
In addition, if your dog is eating a poultry-based diet, adding hemp seed oil may cause an imbalance in his diet because chicken is already quite high in polyunsaturated fats and linoleic acid. According to Steve Brown, author of Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet, flaxseed oil is a better choice for chicken-based diets.
But if your dog is eating a diet rich in beef and other ruminants, then hemp seed oil is a great way to balance the diet, alongside your dogā€™s regular fish or fish oil.
[h=1]How Much To Give[/h]So weā€™ve established that giving your dog hemp seed oil whenever you give him red meat is an excellent boost to his health. So how much should you give?
Steve Brown recommends adding a teaspoon for every 1 to 1 1/4 pounds of food.
Cannabis sativa actually meansā€œuseful hempā€ in Latin. Try adding some to your dogā€™s diet and learn why this ancient superfood is making such a huge comeback!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I buy the hemp powder. Great in smoothies n great making dog cookies. And if you want a snack you steel your dogā€™s snacks hahaha.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I buy the hemp powder. Great in smoothies n great making dog cookies. And if you want a snack you steel your dogā€™s snacks hahaha.

Do you have a recipe for these snacks? Would you share them please?

Mmaker

Feb 21, 2016
New Mexico
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie
We give Elsie Edibites and they have helped a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
1.5 cups of oat flour
You grind oats till it turns into flour. I personally use steel cut oats as itā€™s healthier
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/3cup of hemp seed.
1/4 melted coconut oil

Mix all in a bowl.
Knead the mixture a few times.
Form a dough into small ball n place in the fridge for 30mins
Flour your working space n rolling pin
Roll out dough about 1/4ā€ thick
Cut dough into rectangules or use dog bone cookie cutters
Place on baking sheet
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins ...or until hardened n cooked through

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
1.5 cups of oat flour
You grind oats till it turns into flour. I personally use steel cut oats as itā€™s healthier
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/3cup of hemp seed.
1/4 melted coconut oil

Mix all in a bowl.
Knead the mixture a few times.
Form a dough into small ball n place in the fridge for 30mins
Flour your working space n rolling pin
Roll out dough about 1/4ā€ thick
Cut dough into rectangules or use dog bone cookie cutters
Place on baking sheet
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins ...or until hardened n cooked through

Thanks!! looking forward to making some. My poor dogs never get 'treats' ,,,, oh yea, they get pickles, and green beans lol, but these sound like something they could tell their friends about ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks!! looking forward to making some. My poor dogs never get 'treats' ,,,, oh yea, they get pickles, and green beans lol, but these sound like something they could tell their friends about ;)

You can replace the applesauce with pumpkin purĆ©e. Seems someone did it n it turned out great. Idk I havenā€™t tried it yet

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So is this different than CBD oil? I gave Jax CBD oil after his surgery.

I buy raw shelled hemp seeds at Costco that I use in smoothies, yogurt, etc. Can I feed that to the dogs? Or would actual oil be better?

And I have ground flaxseed at home. Can that be given or is oil better?

https://thrivemarket.com/manitoba-h...MI0rCzlrHk2AIVw1x-Ch0tQQyoEAQYASABEgKNzvD_BwE

Flax will make them go to the bathroom. N no not the same as cbd oil. Part of the plant though but nowhere near as strong

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.