helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Did anyone have to put a cone on their pup after cherry eye surgery? If so how long?

Nyala sure did as they can rub the eye with the paw which she did try numerous times. Also I was doing my veggie garden and even though there was a couple lengths of ropes all around the garden, she would make a dash full speed to ram into the ropes purposely so she can be in the garden with me. Lucky she had the cone of shame. She hated that cone, she purposely ram anything n everything just trying to remove it. Lol. Used it as a shovel digging dirt. Btw itā€™s 14days for the cone n sheā€™ll still a brat.

OP
S

Shankins

Jan 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We're leaning more towards a tuck now. I've been researching Tacrolimus which are the drops the vet will prescribe. I've read that sometimes they don't work well and I've also read a few stories that people believe the drops caused lymphoma, kidney and bladder cancer. Apparently it's a newer drug so long term use effects just aren't known yet. We also have a Boxer and know that the breeds we chose have a higher cancer risk so we don't want to risk anything.

Has anyone ever just watched cherry eye to make sure it didn't get any worse? Our vet that we use told me that not everyone has them corrected if it's not causing a problem. I can get the eyelid to go back in I hold a wet, warm cloth over it, but it pips right back out. It is getting smaller. I'll have to try to take a picture later and post it to compare.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=17950]Shankins[/MENTION]...your vet is correct not all require surgery. Although unsightly, I too was told it does not bother the pup. I know someone's bully who's had his for over a year now with no problems. That was not the case with our pup, his cherry eye popped out with a vengeance and we had no other option but to get it tucked.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=13769]Astrong6608[/MENTION]....yes we were instructed to use the cone after his cherry eye surgery. Which we did but only for a few days, he never really tried to get at his eye after surgery. I don't know if it's because his was tucked, it didn't seem to bother him. We had more of an issue before surgery, so as not to compromise the cherry eye he had to wear the cone until we could get him into surgery. It was a soft cone so it wasn't too bad.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We're leaning more towards a tuck now. I've been researching Tacrolimus which are the drops the vet will prescribe. I've read that sometimes they don't work well and I've also read a few stories that people believe the drops caused lymphoma, kidney and bladder cancer. Apparently it's a newer drug so long term use effects just aren't known yet. We also have a Boxer and know that the breeds we chose have a higher cancer risk so we don't want to risk anything.

Has anyone ever just watched cherry eye to make sure it didn't get any worse? Our vet that we use told me that not everyone has them corrected if it's not causing a problem. I can get the eyelid to go back in I hold a wet, warm cloth over it, but it pips right back out. It is getting smaller. I'll have to try to take a picture later and post it to compare.

Are you getting your dog fix (neutered)? Or maybe heā€™s already fix. Idk... if heā€™s not fix n planned to, have the cherry eye tuck at the same time. Btw Nyala had a cherry eye n I did get it tucked while she was being spayed. I also did a lot of research if I didnā€™t want it tucked what happens...well, with some photos Iā€™ve seen n read, wasnā€™t worth letting her go through her lifetime with a 3rd eyelid just hanging out and me pushing it back in numerous times daily. Anyway, sheā€™s much prettier without it !!

OP
S

Shankins

Jan 10, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Are you getting your dog fix? Or maybe heā€™s already fix. Idk... if heā€™s not fix n planned to, have the cherry eye tuck at the same time. Btw Nyala had a cherry eye n I did get it tucked while she was being spayed. I also did a lot of research if I didnā€™t want it tucked what happens...well, with some photos Iā€™ve seen n read, wasnā€™t worth letting her go through her lifetime with a 3rd eyelid just hanging out and me pushing it back in numerous times daily. Anyway, sheā€™s much prettier without it !!

We are going with the tuck. His other eye popped out a few days ago. I talked with the vets staff yesterday to see how much the cost would increase since both eyes need work now and wasthey do a lot of both surgeries equally but the doc tor recommends the tuck because of the obvious dry eye issues with cutting it out.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Iā€™m watching my dogs cherry eye in both eyes, but I have access to cheap and effective eye drops from abroad, whlich I use when they pop out. Tuck is definitely preferred surgery, removal isnā€™t considered good anymore. Discuss with them policy in case tuck wonā€™t be successful (it happens sometimes, not so often, but still itā€™s better to ask them if they will redo it for less price etc).

btucker

Apr 16, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Trey and Zoe
My Willow had the cherry eye surgery, and we went for the removal as well. She did not need the drops after the surgery, it was very successful. My advice to you is to make sure your surgeon is competent with bully breeds, they have special needs for anesthesia.

:welcome2: to EBN!!!

Can I ask what vet you go to? I live in the Nashville area and looking for a vet to remove cherry eye on my 6 month old bulldog. She has already had 2 surgeries (the "pocket" technique) that were unsuccessful.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper

I am current watching a cherry eye that was tucked at 5 months and popped back out around 8 months.

The cherry is less red this time and sort of still crescent shape like the tucked eyelid was rather than round? But it's definitely reappeared.

We were given artificial tears but to be honest if anything his cherry eye is teary-er than the non-cherry one. I can pop it back in manually or if he sleeps upside down it will go back in but it always reappears.

We are watching and waiting because he had it done at the same time as his netuer/nares/palate and had a really bad reaction to the drugs so I don't want to go for another anaesthetic just for the little cherry!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.