Skin problem?? Any fix?? (Balding)

318bud

May 26, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda
Hello everyone does anybody have experience with skin issues with your bulldogs?? Matilda is 5 years old now and does not seem affected by it (still plays and eats normal since she was a baby) and doctor tells us not to worry about it that it is just genetics. Can she grow her hair back with some type of shampoo ? What about the bumps she has all over ? Iā€™m concerned about skin cancer :(:( anybody with experience with this should I be worried ? BTW we feed her Taste of the Wild and live in the Florida weather climate idk if that matters, but she she loves to lay in the grass and soak up the sun. Thanks for your time. -Matilda

Attachments

• 5097FACF-2334-49C2-A60E-0A927FA73F85.jpeg
    5097FACF-2334-49C2-A60E-0A927FA73F85.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
  • 3E807CE8-98DC-41B9-8CFD-1A590A9C70EB.jpeg
    3E807CE8-98DC-41B9-8CFD-1A590A9C70EB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158

K9ldy

May 21, 2017
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OZZIE
Has her thyroid been checked? Sometimes that can cause skin problems.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think it could be something in the food not agreeing with her...
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]sowners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
32C5D0A1-7BEC-46C4-95C6-828CD70A2DB4.jpeg
I spent two years and hundreds of dollars on what looked exactly like this. We describe it as moth eaten at best, at worst large patches of hair would come out in clumps. Try this first. You can buy it on amazon. You have to leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing. If itā€™s the same condition, it works. Search for my last thread, I was at my witā€™s end. Make sure itā€™s the 4% version.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm not sure what this is so this is what I would do if it were my dog:
1)Definitely would try washing with curaseb ( I think even the curaseb with 2% chlorhexidine and 1% ketoconazole would work ) . Wash twice weekly for 2-3 weeks then once weekly.
2)Switch her over to frozen raw or dehydrated raw dog food ( use a different protein such as duck, venison, lamb, rabbit ) for a 6 week period to see if that helps.
3)Give her 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds organic virgin coconut oil daily ( start with 1/4 tsp per 10 pounds daily and gradually increase )
4)Rub coconut oil onto the bare patches
After 4-6 weeks if not any better:
5)Give her nexgard monthly for fleas and ticks just in case she has mange. If not better in 1 month don't bother with second dose, if better, give a second dose in a month, and repeat monthly thereafter if desired for flea and tick control, or just switch back to whatever you were using before

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I dont know but first thing came to my mind cause of the photos is Black Skin Disease or as vets calls it Alopecia X. Usually caused by "hormones imbalance". But make sure your vet or a 2nd opinion rules out what mimics alopecia like cushing disease and ummmm I think it's hypothyroidism or thyroid like mentioned. That being said IF it's really alopecia I would go buy melatonin at your health food store and ONLY give it for 3 months (daily) and NOT more!!! Also after start tapering off melatonin to once a week. According to studies works 50% for re-growing hair. Better than zero. Talk to your vet about the dose. Also what kind of test did your vet do for it to be genetic? Kind of odd for it to be genetic. Or like I said 2nd opinion! And bare in mind melatonin gets you drowsy.

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
If itā€™s coming off in clumps with scabs I wouldnā€™t suspect alopecia. I tried limited ingredients and worked through a prescription elimination diet with no results. I tried anti-fungal anti-bacterial shampoo as well as curaseb. The 4% formula made the difference. Sheā€™s almost completely cleared up.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.