Help Needed! Please can someone help me help my boy 💔

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
My Beautiful Bruno is now 9 months of age.

4 weeks ago he began developing a rash under his front 2 legs and groin. I took him to the vet and was told his rash was ‘puberty acne’ as scrapings were taken and looked at and nothing else could be spotted E9E44DE0-2F5E-4227-B2A6-6930011BC062.jpegand given Malaseb shampoo to use and shown the door.

His rash has became worse we’ve literally tried everything ensuring it’s not an allergy and 1 week ago changed from Tails - a British company who make dog food to the raw diet as we thought it may be yeast.

The vet has not been helpful in the slightest and now I just feel lost in how to help him. He doesn’t seem upset by the rash but does itch sometimes but not regularly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor little guy!!

It does look like a contact allergy ... is it only on his belly? Rest of him is OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you want to cover both possibilities, give him diphenhydramine 1 mg/pound 2-3 times a day, and wash him with the Malaseb shampoo twice a week till it clears up. I would also give him a probiotic. If you can't find any doggie probiotics give him some sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, kefir, or fresh green tripe. I'd also give him virgin organic coconut oil, start with 1/4 tsp per 10 pounds once daily and increase to 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds once daily. If getting worse I would take him back to vet for oral antibiotics (cephalexin) in case it's a staphylococcus infection.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This could be impetigo,also called puppy impetigo. Or Staph. Treatment stated by Dollys owner is good,and may clear it. If not cleared up after awhile, may need anti-biotic. Can't believe your vet had no clue.Maybe need a new vet!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Beautiful Bruno is now 9 months of age.

4 weeks ago he began developing a rash under his front 2 legs and groin. I took him to the vet and was told his rash was ‘puberty acne’ as scrapings were taken and looked at and nothing else could be spotted View attachment 110275and given Malaseb shampoo to use and shown the door.

His rash has became worse we’ve literally tried everything ensuring it’s not an allergy and 1 week ago changed from Tails - a British company who make dog food to the raw diet as we thought it may be yeast.

The vet has not been helpful in the slightest and now I just feel lost in how to help him. He doesn’t seem upset by the rash but does itch sometimes but not regularly

Great advice above and yes is it just under or all over? Like mentioned change vets!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would also add good quality fish oil, rich with Omega3 to the treatment DollysOwner recommends. And I would say don’t wait too long, try Malaseb and if Malaseb shampoo won’t help in 2 weeks, I don’t believe you can treat is without antibiotics, it looks quite advanced.

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
So this morning I called the vets again for an emergency appointment I seen someone different, a scraping was taken from his leg and proved positive for demodex. I’m so upset, if this was treated in the first instance instead of ‘puberty acne’ the poor thing wouldn’t have gotten to this stage. He received a steroid injection and we have 6 weeks worth of antibiotics. My boy will hopefully be back to his bouncy self again soon.

Thanks for all the advice here now a EBN regular as here in Scotland �������������� there aren’t many bulldog owners around

Jane

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I know I made a complaint about the previous vet today. My partner is in armed forces and deployed on Saturday for 3 months so here’s hoping by the time he’s home our boy will be back to his gorgeous self

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know I made a complaint about the previous vet today. My partner is in armed forces and deployed on Saturday for 3 months so here’s hoping by the time he’s home our boy will be back to his gorgeous self

Oh no!!! Prayers he heals up quickly... if you can get Nexguard, that works very well for mange. Also, prayers to your partner-- stays safe and healthy

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I swear some vets n doctors sleeps in class! Spend all that money to sleep ! Well at less he can start healing. 6months antibiotics make sure he gets everyday some fermented sauerkraut as it’s high in probiotics.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi from Castor, another North European bulldog! Great to hear Bruno has found a cure!

OP
Brunosmummy

Brunosmummy

Jan 7, 2018
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
He’s currently fast asleep been taking photos daily and will continue to do so for me to check the progress. Our 10 year old daughter wants to be a vet, we can only encourage her and save us a whole lot of money in future lol

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
So happy you got an answer and hope your baby heals quick. Sending hugs.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Absolutely necessary to switch his flea and tick protection to Nexgard, it helps quite fast and your boy will be out of trouble soon. Démodéx can be cured quite well now, but still do all these things DollysOwner recommended, as démodéx points to weak immune system, so probiotics and immune stimulators are needed to help him to beat disease. Don’t worry, it’s treatable!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.