Sugestions for allergy dog on small dose prednisone

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My question is this.... why oh why, if your bully has no food allergies, would he be on a limited ingredient formula? My understanding is that there is not too much of any one ingredient in this food, and a combination of many diff. protein sources.

Excellent point!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know..my vet recommended this food..and we have numerous friends who own bullies and they use this too with great results. My vet comes from the place that most of these dogs either have or will develop allergies. By cutting their exposure to a bunch of ingredients from the start ..you are able to eliminate problems from starting. I have Jake on the ultra classic..it is an all stage food and he seems to be fine. I am thinking you meant this for [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]..sorry if I am out of turn!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You know..my vet recommended this food..and we have numerous friends who own bullies and they use this too with great results. My vet comes from the place that most of these dogs either have or will develop allergies. By cutting their exposure to a bunch of ingredients from the start ..you are able to eliminate problems from starting. I have Jake on the ultra classic..it is an all stage food and he seems to be fine. I am thinking you meant this for [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]..sorry if I am out of turn!!

No DVP's Natural Balance is definitely a better food than most, don't get me wrong. I am just thinking the link between potatoes and yeast could very well be a problem for babyduke. With this as being the case, maybe try a gluten free diet and see if it helps with the itching. But Natural Balance is NOT the best choice of foods (overall). But it may work well for your bulldog, but you may not know if it is the best unless you try others. Many have sworn by natural balance but once they try Fromm or Nature's variety they don't go back.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
wow wow wow thank you all so much.. its ironic and very well may be the potatoes causing the itch? because the bad stuff had gone away ( no more ripping his neck open , no more hot spots and no more swollen paws) but without the prednisone he is still itchy in his face area?

I am so scared to switch his food because his bowels are great etc but I agree he needs something to help build up his immune system and help with the itchies.. and I agree all his "food"allergies were negative.. I will read more about this and keep you posted.. thank you all again so much.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Oh sorry to hear about your bully baby!

My question is this.... why oh why, if your bully has no food allergies, would he be on a limited ingredient formula? My understanding is that there is not too much of any one ingredient in this food, and a combination of many diff. protein sources.

I am looking at the ingredients- and I would not feed this, as potatoes are the #1 ingredient- which can actually lead to yeast problems. LI formulas are made for bulldogs who DO HAVE food allergies- so if you dog does not- get on something better that will enhance the coat, boost the immune system, and improve the skin!!

Step #1 would be to add salmon oil asap, any dog with allergies should have salmon oil- it helps their skin in so many ways!

Try a different food, if you don't like it, you can always go back :up: This food has too many man- made vitamins for my tastes, would rather see the vitamins come from the ingredients- not from supplements.

Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Potato Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Now my bulldog Tidus used to get hydroxizine 2x daily if he gets any attacks or developed a hot spot- then we discovered he was allergic to poultry/chicken/turkey.

Hydroxizine is also a human allergy med. Could you ask your vet if this will work instead of the pred? Again, if it does not work, you can always go back to what does work.

where would I purchase the salmon oil an how much would I give Duke ? he is 55 pounds?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] You can get it online from Carolina Pet Pantry. Go to the part of this site for coupons etc and there is a code for Carolina Pet Pantry so you get to save some money too!!! That's the cheapest way to get it ... I found out that it was very expensive when I tried to get it from the store. We use the Grizzly Salmon Oil and it is WONDERFUL!!! :up:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No DVP's Natural Balance is definitely a better food than most, don't get me wrong. I am just thinking the link between potatoes and yeast could very well be a problem for babyduke. With this as being the case, maybe try a gluten free diet and see if it helps with the itching. But Natural Balance is NOT the best choice of foods (overall). But it may work well for your bulldog, but you may not know if it is the best unless you try others. Many have sworn by natural balance but once they try Fromm or Nature's variety they don't go back.

Oh no problem at all for me..I appreciate all the info. I know nothing and am learning so much from all of you. I will also follow [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] and read and definitely check out info on this. I just want to do the right thing for my little guy..thanks

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] I have also read some pretty high ratings on DVP Duck and Potato. And if you arent ruling out food allergies, and are planning on switching foods maybe try something potato free also. i have read that bullies can develop allergies to the potatoes, if you've had him on duck and potato for a while and it seems to have gotten worse, maybe he has done this. The duck and potato is very potato heavy also.

Just my suggestions and i hope things get better for baby duke!

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] You can get it online from Carolina Pet Pantry. Go to the part of this site for coupons etc and there is a code for Carolina Pet Pantry so you get to save some money too!!! That's the cheapest way to get it ... I found out that it was very expensive when I tried to get it from the store. We use the Grizzly Salmon Oil and it is WONDERFUL!!! :up:

well i wish i would have looked for this coupon :( i bought the 64 oz a few days ago. I have seen many reccomendations for the grizzly, i hear its very high grade and doesnt get your house all fishy smelling :)

ps: sorry about the potato suggestion, i didnt notice the second page untill i clickred reply lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
well i wish i would have looked for this coupon :( i bought the 64 oz a few days ago. I have seen many reccomendations for the grizzly, i hear its very high grade and doesnt get your house all fishy smelling :)

ps: sorry about the potato suggestion, i didnt notice the second page untill i clickred reply lol

Ohhh really mr make fun of me, lol..lol..[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]..Jake is on dvp ultra classic..we have friends that have used dvp for years with no problems..they use different flavors for variety too..just to confuse you even more..I mean..why should I be the only one confused all th time?

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
ok guys.. so my hubby and I went all over today and found a pet store who carries Nature's variety and got a bag of beef and lamb and a few cans of the wet food. We are going to slowly switch him over. My question is everything I read and the girl at the pet store told us that you can interchange this food weekly , even daily and they suggest that we do?? thoughts or experience with this?? I am really really excited.. my poor Duke has been on this low dose prednisone for 8 months now.. I really hope I can wean him off. the girl at the pet store agreed with all that you all told me and thinks it will do wonders for Duke. She also could not believe he was eating a limited ingredient diet with confirmed no food allergies? oh well live and learn..I will keep you posted on how we do.. if for anything else I KNOW now that it will build his immune system just being on a better diet so thank you ! :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hey [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]..how funny this is!..I was just at pet store this morning with my daughter.She is putting her huge (104lb) golden retriever on exact same food..same flavor too..I helped her research and after reading all the great things..told her I was thinking of putting Jake on it and she beat me to it! I think it's great you can switch flavors..I am still torn for Jake because he seems to do so well and it means have to switch dean too..so I think I will keep Jake on dvp ultra until he no longer needs an all stage food and then probably go to natures variety also. I will be listening for Duke's experiences..I know he will be fine and I think it would be the best ever to get ohm off pred..i think I have to go back to their website and see if they are an all stage food..then I could go sooner...good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.