Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sugestions for allergy dog on small dose prednisone

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sugestions for allergy dog on small dose prednisone

Hi @BabyDuke..we have an experience with prednisone for our rottie..she was on it for other reasons than allergies and our vet was very conservative and really wanted her off. We tried the whole weaning down and she just couldn't do it. Started crying again and in pain. We were able to cut her back to every 3 days in summer..but in winter her old bones just hurt too much. My vet started doing blood panels more often and we just kept her on what she needed. Sadly, she developed bone cancer..and totally unrelated to pred. Jake is also on dvp and I have actually seen ratings where iit is one of the highest rated. .??? I totally understand you wanting him off steroids..might try a very slow weaning process..let me know if you do a food switch and it helps. So far so good for us. They do have other flavors and from what friends have told us they switch back and forth for variety with no problem..they have a 5 year old bully. Wish I could help more..

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

I think it might be wise to address the wrinkles. I'm thinking the wipes and tissues are not working. This does not mean you must purchase expensive items to clean the wrinkles.

I use diluted medicated soap.
    Amazon.com: Vet Solutions Surgical Scrub & Handwash, 16oz. Refill Bottle: Everything Else

If you mix some up you can store it in a picnic ketchup container. The nozzle makes it great for application. Which I use cotton pads or...cotton balls when I can't locate the pads. You can warm up the bottle in the microwave so it's warm...my bullie prefers it that way. Apply some on the cotton pad and wipe area...then use a clean dry pad to dry the area.

On really nasty sore wrinkles. I have used Pinxav...but be careful not to get it into their eyes...Use it sparingly...this stuff will stain clothing. But if your bullie has sore wrinkles...it will help sooth them. And heals them up lickity split.

As for hot spots...this stuff works great full strength rubbed in until you no longer see it. We're talking no oral medication needed this stuff clears it up so quickly!!! [Tank my oldest used to get them...hasn't had any in so long...but we love this stuff and use it for so many things and was the original reason the VET solutions surgical scrub was brought into the house.]
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I am going to follow these suggestions for wrinkle cleaning..no allergies yet..but I thank you @cadillactaste

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post

My question is this.... why oh why, if your bully has no food allergies, would he be on a limited ingredient formula? My understanding is that there is not too much of any one ingredient in this food, and a combination of many diff. protein sources.
    Excellent point!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

You know..my vet recommended this food..and we have numerous friends who own bullies and they use this too with great results. My vet comes from the place that most of these dogs either have or will develop allergies. By cutting their exposure to a bunch of ingredients from the start ..you are able to eliminate problems from starting. I have Jake on the ultra classic..it is an all stage food and he seems to be fine. I am thinking you meant this for @BabyDuke..sorry if I am out of turn!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    You know..my vet recommended this food..and we have numerous friends who own bullies and they use this too with great results. My vet comes from the place that most of these dogs either have or will develop allergies. By cutting their exposure to a bunch of ingredients from the start ..you are able to eliminate problems from starting. I have Jake on the ultra classic..it is an all stage food and he seems to be fine. I am thinking you meant this for @BabyDuke..sorry if I am out of turn!!
    No DVP's Natural Balance is definitely a better food than most, don't get me wrong. I am just thinking the link between potatoes and yeast could very well be a problem for babyduke. With this as being the case, maybe try a gluten free diet and see if it helps with the itching. But Natural Balance is NOT the best choice of foods (overall). But it may work well for your bulldog, but you may not know if it is the best unless you try others. Many have sworn by natural balance but once they try Fromm or Nature's variety they don't go back.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

wow wow wow thank you all so much.. its ironic and very well may be the potatoes causing the itch? because the bad stuff had gone away ( no more ripping his neck open , no more hot spots and no more swollen paws) but without the prednisone he is still itchy in his face area?

I am so scared to switch his food because his bowels are great etc but I agree he needs something to help build up his immune system and help with the itchies.. and I agree all his "food"allergies were negative.. I will read more about this and keep you posted.. thank you all again so much.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Oh sorry to hear about your bully baby!

My question is this.... why oh why, if your bully has no food allergies, would he be on a limited ingredient formula? My understanding is that there is not too much of any one ingredient in this food, and a combination of many diff. protein sources.

I am looking at the ingredients- and I would not feed this, as potatoes are the #1 ingredient- which can actually lead to yeast problems. LI formulas are made for bulldogs who DO HAVE food allergies- so if you dog does not- get on something better that will enhance the coat, boost the immune system, and improve the skin!!

Step #1 would be to add salmon oil asap, any dog with allergies should have salmon oil- it helps their skin in so many ways!

Try a different food, if you don't like it, you can always go back This food has too many man- made vitamins for my tastes, would rather see the vitamins come from the ingredients- not from supplements.

Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Potato Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Now my bulldog Tidus used to get hydroxizine 2x daily if he gets any attacks or developed a hot spot- then we discovered he was allergic to poultry/chicken/turkey.

Hydroxizine is also a human allergy med. Could you ask your vet if this will work instead of the pred? Again, if it does not work, you can always go back to what does work.
    where would I purchase the salmon oil an how much would I give Duke ? he is 55 pounds?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@BabyDuke You can get it online from Carolina Pet Pantry. Go to the part of this site for coupons etc and there is a code for Carolina Pet Pantry so you get to save some money too!!! That's the cheapest way to get it ... I found out that it was very expensive when I tried to get it from the store. We use the Grizzly Salmon Oil and it is WONDERFUL!!!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

No DVP's Natural Balance is definitely a better food than most, don't get me wrong. I am just thinking the link between potatoes and yeast could very well be a problem for babyduke. With this as being the case, maybe try a gluten free diet and see if it helps with the itching. But Natural Balance is NOT the best choice of foods (overall). But it may work well for your bulldog, but you may not know if it is the best unless you try others. Many have sworn by natural balance but once they try Fromm or Nature's variety they don't go back.

Oh no problem at all for me..I appreciate all the info. I know nothing and am learning so much from all of you. I will also follow @BabyDuke and read and definitely check out info on this. I just want to do the right thing for my little guy..thanks

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@BabyDuke..sorry to stick my nose into your thread...jeez it's all about me you know!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)

@BabyDuke I have also read some pretty high ratings on DVP Duck and Potato. And if you arent ruling out food allergies, and are planning on switching foods maybe try something potato free also. i have read that bullies can develop allergies to the potatoes, if you've had him on duck and potato for a while and it seems to have gotten worse, maybe he has done this. The duck and potato is very potato heavy also.

Just my suggestions and i hope things get better for baby duke!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads