Vomiting 2 yr old bulldog

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok so the vet kept Rosie Tuesday night and all day Wednesday. He ran multiple tests ... pancreas, blockage etc... He said he is perplexed as too what is causing her vomiting. He said heā€™s going to make an educated guess and say that itā€™s some form of GERD. And that is what they are treating her for, he didnā€™t feel that changing her diet was necessary. However I went out and bought earthborn holistic dry food and will be switching her over slowly over the course of the next few days anyways. Thank you for taking the time to listen to me.hopefully Rosie will begin to feel better over the next few days

Keep us posted, please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Let us know how she does with the food change.

My parents cat was eating RC and was getting deathly ill. I had finally convinced them to switch foods and they did and now their cat is fine. So I'm hoping it's nothing serious with Rosie and maybe all she needs is a good food. The ingredients in some of these foods are just awful.

OP
D

Dwallace84

Dec 17, 2017
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
So update on Rosie:
She is doing great on grain free food no more vomiting �� we did have to go back to the vet though Rosie split her toenail and completely separated the nail from the kwik! She had to be put to sleep to have the entire nail removed. Vet said it should grow back after a couple months and Rosie is doing fine.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
So update on Rosie:
She is doing great on grain free food no more vomiting ļæ½ļæ½ we did have to go back to the vet though Rosie split her toenail and completely separated the nail from the kwik! She had to be put to sleep to have the entire nail removed. Vet said it should grow back after a couple months and Rosie is doing fine.

So great to hear!! Ellie and I send our best to you and Rosie

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So update on Rosie:
She is doing great on grain free food no more vomiting ļæ½ļæ½ we did have to go back to the vet though Rosie split her toenail and completely separated the nail from the kwik! She had to be put to sleep to have the entire nail removed. Vet said it should grow back after a couple months and Rosie is doing fine.

Great news ! Did vet put her on antibiotics for the nail removal? My vet did when my dog broke her nail, but prescribed ten days, and I just gave it for about 4 days. Give her some probiotics if he did. Is she allergy free on her new food? ie. no ear infections or licking her paws or throwing up or loose poos?

OP
D

Dwallace84

Dec 17, 2017
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Great news ! Did vet put her on antibiotics for the nail removal? My vet did when my dog broke her nail, but prescribed ten days, and I just gave it for about 4 days. Give her some probiotics if he did. Is she allergy free on her new food? ie. no ear infections or licking her paws or throwing up or loose poos?

Yes she got antibiotics for 10 days...no loose poops, no ear infections, she has been licking her paw but its the paw with the broken nail so....all seems good :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yes she got antibiotics for 10 days...no loose poops, no ear infections, she has been licking her paw but its the paw with the broken nail so....all seems good :)

Great news ! Try giving her some probiotic while she is on the antibiotic ( a couple of hours after antibiotic dose ) and for a week after, I would say in order of preference:
1) Commercial ones like Herbsmith Microflora Plus , Proviable DC , Probiotic Miracle
2) live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store or some supermarkets, or kefir
3) live cultured fat free, no added sugar or fake fat yoghurt

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So update on Rosie:
She is doing great on grain free food no more vomiting �� we did have to go back to the vet though Rosie split her toenail and completely separated the nail from the kwik! She had to be put to sleep to have the entire nail removed. Vet said it should grow back after a couple months and Rosie is doing fine.

Awesome -- great news on the diet! Sorry about the nail --- hope she heals up soon

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Ok... keep us posted.

however,Royal Canin is not a very good food and is mostly fillers with very little nutritional value. They have great commercials to make you think it's a fantastic food but it is not.

If you'd like to think about switching his food here is a list of the kibbles many of us here have good results with, no particular order.

many years ago I also fed this food and my first bulldog Nitschke would consistently throw up we spent months trying to figure out what his issue was and I finally had allergy testing done and it turned out he was allergic to rice. Or female turned out she was allergic to chicken. at that time I started researching and realized how bad the food was for them based on the ingredients not only their allergies.

Of course Raw is your best go to if you have time and are willing but here are some of the best kibblesare members have success with

Avoid grains and chicken...

Zingnature
Fromm
The Honest Kitchen
Earthborn Holistic
Acana
Orijen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Yes, please get her off of Royal Canin, and all the brands that 2BullyMama listed are great. Dinah is 26 months and she is on the Orijen Tundra... it's been great.

OP
D

Dwallace84

Dec 17, 2017
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Rosie keeps licking her toe where her nail/kwik was removed. Even though she is on antibiotics Iā€™m worried about infection.... anyone have any tips to keep her from licking?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie keeps licking her toe where her nail/kwik was removed. Even though she is on antibiotics Iā€™m worried about infection.... anyone have any tips to keep her from licking?

you could get some of the self sticking gauze and wrap it?

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
I came home at my usual time and found that Dinah had thrown up on the carpet. I called the vet and they told me to monitor her.
After that I took her out and she seemed fine. skipping and running around, came back in and she's playing with her toys like nothing happened.

Should I give her dinner or hold off till tomorrow?

Thank you all in advance.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I came home at my usual time and found that Dinah had thrown up on the carpet. I called the vet and they told me to monitor her.
After that I took her out and she seemed fine. skipping and running around, came back in and she's playing with her toys like nothing happened.

Should I give her dinner or hold off till tomorrow?

Thank you all in advance.

Sorry so late.... how is she doing today?

Most Reactions