Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello, I am new to this website, I found the site because I was searching for information on EBD skin problems. My EBD, Bella has had problems since I picked her up at 8 weeks old almost 9 years ago but regardless we love her. In early fall I noticed a few spots on her back which likely were hot spots so I treated them and by mid November they had pretty much cleared up. We left her in our home under the care of her grandmother who always looks after her when we are away, when we returned home after 2 weeks she was a mess, she had several scrabs her her back and sides that raised the hair and was very uncomfortable so I immediately bathed her using warm water and Epsom salt which removed all of the scabs and of course the hair above them but gave her some comfort. After seeing it on this website I made up a solution of 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts water which I put on her several times a day which seems to keep her from scratching. Because I wasn't sure if this was a form of SFA (seasonal flank alopecia) or not I send my vet an email with the attached pictures and he said it is not SFA but likely a skin infection so I have an appointment with him at 5pm today. There were a couple of changes within the last month; I changed her kibble from Horizon Complete to Kasiks Wild Pacific Ocean Fish Meal Formula because I though it was a better food with no grains but maybe she has a reaction to the food. The other change was that she was on antibiotics for a kidney infection although the vet said that wouldn't be the cause, keep in mind her proscribed the antibiotics. Please have a look at the attached pictures, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the repeat pictures, I couldn't remove them when I tried to edit.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
That's looks like a staph infection that has gotten a little out of hand. The food change may help but I'm not convinced it had anything to do with his current state.
Your Vet will likely prescribe Cephalexin to combat the staph. You would be well-advised to start dosing a probiotic with breakfast. We give our guys Probiotic Miracle. I also recommend Douxo Mousse. Apply it every other day to the affected areas. The skin's angry look should subside in a week or so and the fur will begin to reappear in about 2 weeks. It will be several months before it's filled in.
Please let us know what your Vet says.

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you. Because I wasn't sure about the new kibble I purchased a bag of her old food kibble (Horizon Complete) yesterday and started mixing it with the new kibble this morning. Once everything is back to normal I may try another kibble, I see a lot of people on here feed Fromm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ouch... [MENTION=17858]Bella Bluenoser[/MENTION] I would agree with oscarmayer. Doubt any of this has to do with the food and more staph. And yes she needs probiotics. You can go to your health food store n buy the ones in the fridge (for humans) not the shelf or give her a tablespoon of sauerkraut fermented again the one in the fridge! Since you live in Canada, a high quality food would be Acana. Acana is very well balanced. I personally wouldn't use anything with chicken till bella is back on track. I buy at pet valu their frozen green tripe. Loaded of probiotics n goodies. Smells like hell n wear gloves. I cut it into 4 pieces n both get one each as a snack. Whatever you do plz keep us posted on what your vet says.

Where in Canada are you?

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you. We are in Nova Scotia. I fed her Origen for the first year or two then switched to ACANA and then for some reason to Horizon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. We are in Nova Scotia. I fed her Origen for the first year or two then switched to ACANA and then for some reason to Horizon.

Welcome to EBN! I agree with the gang.. it looks like a staph infection not SFA. Staph is usually caused by a weakened immune system which cna be a result from allergeis, whether food or environmental. As Helene stated... go back to Acana it is one of thr best kibbles on the market. I feed From pork and peas, but id had issues and needed a new kibble Acana would be on the list.

please keep us posted and follow the suggestions from the crew ... it does work.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Ouch, poor thing. Hoping the vet will sort this out quickly. Let us know.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ahh Nova Scotia, so nice there just love the Maritimes.

Well you started Bella on the right track. I personally would go back to Acana but that's me. But really start Bella on probiotics and get some of that smelly frozen tripe. So good for them and great for their immune system.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
BTW, I'd like to see a shot of Bella's pretty face.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You have gotten GREAT advice from everyone! Pro-biotics are very important. Especially when they are taking med.s. The antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria, but also the good. Please let us know how your vet visit goes, and what he says, and as [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] said, a picture of the cute face!

OP
B

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I talked to Pet Value, they don't have frozen tripe but have it in cans so I'll get some cans and freeze it is old ice cube trays, that should work.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I talked to Pet Value, they don't have frozen tripe but have it in cans so I'll get some cans and freeze it is old ice cube trays, that should work.
Try other pet store or ask them to bring it in as its in their stores. I'm in Alberta and comes from east side of Canada

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.