Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 16

Thread: Diarrhea

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper Mcleanb7's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default Diarrhea

    My 4 year old has had diarrhea since Saturday afternoon/evening. He got sick while staying at my mother in laws house while we were out of town. She has two other dogs. He has a lot of allergies and they are very lackadaisical about their dogs—feed them whatever, give them treats they probably shouldn’t have, etc. (Of course I do send him with his own food.) She did say he may have found one of their old raw hides.

    He has been eating fine. As far as we know, he only vomited one time on Sunday evening after eating dinner. After that, I held off on feeding him until Monday late afternoon and gave him boiled chicken and canned pumpkin which he has had for dinner Monday night and breakfast Tuesday morning. He seems like he would eat whatever we gave him, no aversion to eating. Sunday evening-Monday evening he had bright yellow liquid diarrhea. Then Monday night into Tuesday morning he had an accident overnight that looked like canned pumpkin. Then again during the day while we were at work, but only a small amount.

    He has otherwise been acting his normal lazy self. I called the vet’s office and his assistant said to ride it out unless it gets worse. I find that I’m worrying that it is worst case scenario like a blockage rather than he probably just ate something he shouldn’t have.

    So basically I’m looking for reassurance. Just a tummy ache/bug? Should I be concerned and bring him in? He had a similar episode about a month ago and I brought him in and they did nothing and charged me $50 for vet visit.

  2. #2
    Kennel Cleaner Zedsded's Avatar
    Country
    Uk
    Posts
    89
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley
    Likes (Received)
    117

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Hi Brittany, really sorry to hear mr chubbs in not well, Our Dudley has a lot of allergies and the last time he had a reaction he had the yellow diarrhoea for 4 days before it started to get better, still took another day or two be totally right after that.
    Fingers crossed he stars to come round, good news that hes not off his food though, that always worries us!

  3. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,276
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    1606

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    It does sound like he might have eaten something or multiple things he probably shouldn't have. If he is otherwise acting normal, I might continue to just watch him and continue with the bland diet for a few more days.

  4. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  5. #4
    Pooper scooper Mcleanb7's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by Zedsded View Post
    Hi Brittany, really sorry to hear mr chubbs in not well, Our Dudley has a lot of allergies and the last time he had a reaction he had the yellow diarrhoea for 4 days before it started to get better, still took another day or two be totally right after that.
    Fingers crossed he stars to come round, good news that hes not off his food though, that always worries us!
    Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. His poop went to pumpkin consistency and then the last one looked like the yellow again. Today is Day 3 tho, so fingers crossed for tomorrow and the next day!

  6. #5
    Pooper scooper Mcleanb7's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    It does sound like he might have eaten something or multiple things he probably shouldn't have. If he is otherwise acting normal, I might continue to just watch him and continue with the bland diet for a few more days.
    Ok, sounds good. I’m just not looking forward to the clean up if he has accidents ��

  7. #6
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,276
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    1606

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcleanb7 View Post
    Ok, sounds good. I’m just not looking forward to the clean up if he has accidents ��
    It’s like having a small child at times!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Hi Brittany, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Mr Chubbs. My guy Bulldozer also suffers from lots of allergies, he's allergic to 7 proteins and we have had to,switch his foods many many times, and he has had bouts of diarrhea from foods he didn't tolerate, or foods that were too rich, or from a change of food. This usually clears up in a few days when I stop the new food. Having said that diarrhea, vomiting and drooling are signs of obstruction. Dozer has eaten 4 socks, and has passed them all, but before he does, he sometimes has diarrhea, vomiting or drooling from his mouth. We've been lucky that he has passed them by himself by either pooping them out, or throwing them up. You mentioned that your mother in law said he may have found an old raw hide, or maybe he ate some other object like a toy that they didn't notice, or it could just be an upset tummy from eating foods or treats he's not used to? Maybe he got into the other dogs food? I hope that's all it is, and he feels better soon, and his diarrhea clears up. I would continue to watch him, look for signs of obstruction, watch his poop to see if he passes something. If he's not better in a few days, then I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Feel better Buddy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpeg  
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  9. #8
    Pooper scooper Mcleanb7's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Brittany, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Mr Chubbs. My guy Bulldozer also suffers from lots of allergies, he's allergic to 7 proteins and we have had to,switch his foods many many times, and he has had bouts of diarrhea from foods he didn't tolerate, or foods that were too rich, or from a change of food. This usually clears up in a few days when I stop the new food. Having said that diarrhea, vomiting and drooling are signs of obstruction. Dozer has eaten 4 socks, and has passed them all, but before he does, he sometimes has diarrhea, vomiting or drooling from his mouth. We've been lucky that he has passed them by himself by either pooping them out, or throwing them up. You mentioned that your mother in law said he may have found an old raw hide, or maybe he ate some other object like a toy that they didn't notice, or it could just be an upset tummy from eating foods or treats he's not used to? Maybe he got into the other dogs food? I hope that's all it is, and he feels better soon, and his diarrhea clears up. I would continue to watch him, look for signs of obstruction, watch his poop to see if he passes something. If he's not better in a few days, then I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Feel better Buddy.
    Yeah I wondered about this, but besides the diarrhea he has no other symptoms. Not vomiting (except the one time a couple days ago), not drooling, not seeming to be in pain in any way. So I figure I would watch him for the next couple of days, may call the vet on Friday.

  10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  11. #9
    Pooper scooper Mcleanb7's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    It’s like having a small child at times!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha he is worse than my child!

  12. Likes Manydogs, Cbrugs liked this post
  13. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcleanb7 View Post
    Ha he is worse than my child!

    Agree with the gang... watch closely for any changes in behavior or if he becomes constipated or begins vomiting --- could it be they fed him their food and not Chubbs food that you sent with him?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  14. #11
    Pooper scooper Mcleanb7's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Chubbs
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Agree with the gang... watch closely for any changes in behavior or if he becomes constipated or begins vomiting --- could it be they fed him their food and not Chubbs food that you sent with him?
    No, he came back with an empty bag of food that I had sent. But I’m sure he ate some out of their bowls.

  15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  16. #12
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Diarrhea

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcleanb7 View Post
    No, he came back with an empty bag of food that I had sent. But I’m sure he ate some out of their bowls.
    how is Mr Chubbs doing? Any improvement? I hope his diarrhea has cleared up and he's feeling better.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •