Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
My 4 year old has had diarrhea since Saturday afternoon/evening. He got sick while staying at my mother in laws house while we were out of town. She has two other dogs. He has a lot of allergies and they are very lackadaisical about their dogsā€”feed them whatever, give them treats they probably shouldnā€™t have, etc. (Of course I do send him with his own food.) She did say he may have found one of their old raw hides.

He has been eating fine. As far as we know, he only vomited one time on Sunday evening after eating dinner. After that, I held off on feeding him until Monday late afternoon and gave him boiled chicken and canned pumpkin which he has had for dinner Monday night and breakfast Tuesday morning. He seems like he would eat whatever we gave him, no aversion to eating. Sunday evening-Monday evening he had bright yellow liquid diarrhea. Then Monday night into Tuesday morning he had an accident overnight that looked like canned pumpkin. Then again during the day while we were at work, but only a small amount.

He has otherwise been acting his normal lazy self. I called the vetā€™s office and his assistant said to ride it out unless it gets worse. I find that Iā€™m worrying that it is worst case scenario like a blockage rather than he probably just ate something he shouldnā€™t have.

So basically Iā€™m looking for reassurance. Just a tummy ache/bug? Should I be concerned and bring him in? He had a similar episode about a month ago and I brought him in and they did nothing and charged me $50 for vet visit.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi Brittany, really sorry to hear mr chubbs in not well, Our Dudley has a lot of allergies and the last time he had a reaction he had the yellow diarrhoea for 4 days before it started to get better, still took another day or two be totally right after that.
Fingers crossed he stars to come round, good news that hes not off his food though, that always worries us!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It does sound like he might have eaten something or multiple things he probably shouldn't have. If he is otherwise acting normal, I might continue to just watch him and continue with the bland diet for a few more days.

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Hi Brittany, really sorry to hear mr chubbs in not well, Our Dudley has a lot of allergies and the last time he had a reaction he had the yellow diarrhoea for 4 days before it started to get better, still took another day or two be totally right after that.
Fingers crossed he stars to come round, good news that hes not off his food though, that always worries us!

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. His poop went to pumpkin consistency and then the last one looked like the yellow again. Today is Day 3 tho, so fingers crossed for tomorrow and the next day!

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
It does sound like he might have eaten something or multiple things he probably shouldn't have. If he is otherwise acting normal, I might continue to just watch him and continue with the bland diet for a few more days.

Ok, sounds good. Iā€™m just not looking forward to the clean up if he has accidents ��

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Ok, sounds good. Iā€™m just not looking forward to the clean up if he has accidents ��

Itā€™s like having a small child at times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Brittany, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Mr Chubbs. My guy Bulldozer also suffers from lots of allergies, he's allergic to 7 proteins and we have had to,switch his foods many many times, and he has had bouts of diarrhea from foods he didn't tolerate, or foods that were too rich, or from a change of food. This usually clears up in a few days when I stop the new food. Having said that diarrhea, vomiting and drooling are signs of obstruction. Dozer has eaten 4 socks, and has passed them all, but before he does, he sometimes has diarrhea, vomiting or drooling from his mouth. We've been lucky that he has passed them by himself by either pooping them out, or throwing them up. You mentioned that your mother in law said he may have found an old raw hide, or maybe he ate some other object like a toy that they didn't notice, or it could just be an upset tummy from eating foods or treats he's not used to? Maybe he got into the other dogs food? I hope that's all it is, and he feels better soon, and his diarrhea clears up. I would continue to watch him, look for signs of obstruction, watch his poop to see if he passes something. If he's not better in a few days, then I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Feel better Buddy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 135
OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Hi Brittany, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Mr Chubbs. My guy Bulldozer also suffers from lots of allergies, he's allergic to 7 proteins and we have had to,switch his foods many many times, and he has had bouts of diarrhea from foods he didn't tolerate, or foods that were too rich, or from a change of food. This usually clears up in a few days when I stop the new food. Having said that diarrhea, vomiting and drooling are signs of obstruction. Dozer has eaten 4 socks, and has passed them all, but before he does, he sometimes has diarrhea, vomiting or drooling from his mouth. We've been lucky that he has passed them by himself by either pooping them out, or throwing them up. You mentioned that your mother in law said he may have found an old raw hide, or maybe he ate some other object like a toy that they didn't notice, or it could just be an upset tummy from eating foods or treats he's not used to? Maybe he got into the other dogs food? I hope that's all it is, and he feels better soon, and his diarrhea clears up. I would continue to watch him, look for signs of obstruction, watch his poop to see if he passes something. If he's not better in a few days, then I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Feel better Buddy.

Yeah I wondered about this, but besides the diarrhea he has no other symptoms. Not vomiting (except the one time a couple days ago), not drooling, not seeming to be in pain in any way. So I figure I would watch him for the next couple of days, may call the vet on Friday.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ha he is worse than my child!

Agree with the gang... watch closely for any changes in behavior or if he becomes constipated or begins vomiting --- could it be they fed him their food and not Chubbs food that you sent with him?

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Agree with the gang... watch closely for any changes in behavior or if he becomes constipated or begins vomiting --- could it be they fed him their food and not Chubbs food that you sent with him?

No, he came back with an empty bag of food that I had sent. But Iā€™m sure he ate some out of their bowls.

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
UPDATE: seems to be turning the corner. His poops are still very soft looking but formed. Also no accidents overnight for two nights now.

Went to to the vet yesterday. They gave him a special food and some powder medicine to help his tummy. They attributed it to stress and/or eating something he shouldnā€™t have. We do have some stressful life events going on (Iā€™m 30 weeks pregnant and we moved to a new house 3 weeks ago), but he is so un-phased by everything, I find that hard to believe. But possible.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
UPDATE: seems to be turning the corner. His poops are still very soft looking but formed. Also no accidents overnight for two nights now.

Went to to the vet yesterday. They gave him a special food and some powder medicine to help his tummy. They attributed it to stress and/or eating something he shouldnā€™t have. We do have some stressful life events going on (Iā€™m 30 weeks pregnant and we moved to a new house 3 weeks ago), but he is so un-phased by everything, I find that hard to believe. But possible.

Usually vet food isn't too healthy. I'd switch him over gradually as the bag finishes to a good quality food, preferably grain free limited ingredient and not chicken. If you want regular kibble, try Fromm eg. pork and peas, or Acana Duck and pear, or Zignature venison for example. If you want to switch to raw, try a dehydrated raw eg.Honest Kitchen Spruce or Marvel, or frozen raw patties you buy from pet food store.

Also try giving him some probiotic every day, preferably a doggy one such as Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC. If you don't want to buy a special one, you can try buying sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, or kefir, or green tripe. A plain fat free probiotic yoghurt would be last choice.

You can also help loose stools with 1 tablespoon a day of canned pumpkin ( not pie filling one ) or slippery elm powder (1/4 tsp for every 10 pounds of weight twice daily ).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Totally stress... away from home, you pregnant, and a new house! Bulldog OCD overload. Agree with Dollys owner--- great advice from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions