SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
I have finally decided to make the move and switch Sampsonā€™s food from Hills to FROMM. Iā€™ve noticed more recently than ever that Sampson has been getting an upset stomach atleast once a week. His stomach will start making these REALLY LOUD gurgling noises and wonā€™t have an appetite. My vet recommends Purina Pro Plan which I donā€™t want to feed him at all! After doing a lot of research it seems as if FROMM is a no brainer. Now the question is, which version/flavor should I be getting? Iā€™m hoping to avoid chicken just to see by process of elimination if that too could be causing the upset stomach.

All the help is needed!

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
We love Fromm's Pork and Peas. They still get gurgling noises once in a while but I attribute that to them eating grass or something outside, we give a cup of plain yogurt and the gurgling goes away within the hour. Good luck!

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I have finally decided to make the move and switch Sampsonā€™s food from Hills to FROMM. Iā€™ve noticed more recently than ever that Sampson has been getting an upset stomach atleast once a week. His stomach will start making these REALLY LOUD gurgling noises and wonā€™t have an appetite. My vet recommends Purina Pro Plan which I donā€™t want to feed him at all! After doing a lot of research it seems as if FROMM is a no brainer. Now the question is, which version/flavor should I be getting? Iā€™m hoping to avoid chicken just to see by process of elimination if that too could be causing the upset stomach.

All the help is needed!

I got a rescue about 2-3 months ago. He was on Beneful when I got him, I know, no good. After reading on here about food I also decided to switch to Fromm, I got Pork and Peas. Gave him one bowl and he turned RED, it was horrible. I was defeated, thought I found one of the best foods and he was allergic, UGH. I went to Tomlinsons Pet Store (Austin TX) and they were great. Very knowledgeable. They recommended Zignature, was told it has a lot less ingredients than Fromm and for dogs with allergies it is a much better choice when trying to eliminate allergens. I started him out with Duck and hes doing great. I know the more people you talk to the more confusing it gets. Just remember every dog is different. Unfortunately it is trial and error.

Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Which are you feeding now?

I've had the best results with Pork and Peas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™ve tried a variety of flavors with Louie and he has done good on all of them. And while Fromm is an excellent brand, what works for one dog may not work for another and same for proteins so you might just need to play around for a bit.

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Right now I am feeding him Hills Chicken and Rice. I know itā€™s not the best food for bulldogs but heā€™s been on it his whole life and no issues up until now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Right now I am feeding him Hills Chicken and Rice. I know itā€™s not the best food for bulldogs but heā€™s been on it his whole life and no issues up until now.

Try the pork and Peas... get a small bag and transition over a full week. My second choice would be lamb and lentils

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

GREAT decision on changing food!!!! Since you're in the transition start with ONE protein per bag. Get a little note book n journal each flavour if he gets any reaction. If so at least you'll know what NOT to give him. Working great for my 2 pups.

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Thank you everyone for your input! If you think any other dry food would work better than FROMM please let me know! such a tough decision trying to pick a dog food

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone for your input! If you think any other dry food would work better than FROMM please let me know! such a tough decision trying to pick a dog food

Fromm is an excellent choice and you should definitely give it a try. But if it doesn't work, other good brands are Acana, Orijen, Zignature. Dogfoodadvisor.com is a good resource to get ratings on all of the different brands out there.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Fromm is an excellent choice and you should definitely give it a try. But if it doesn't work, other good brands are Acana, Orijen, Zignature. Dogfoodadvisor.com is a good resource to get ratings on all of the different brands out there.

My dog didn't seem to do well on any food with lots of ingredients, would lick her paws all the time. I'm not sure if it's the rosemary extract in those foods. I finally ended up giving her a dehydrated raw dog food called Only Natural EasyRaw, which is similar to Honest Kitchen, Nusentia Raw and Grain Free, I and Love and You in the Raw (dehydrated), and Spot Farms Grain Free.

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Quick Update; I reached out to Sampsonā€™s vet about his stomach issues and she suggests that he be switched to a novel-protein diet. She suggests switching him to either an all salon diet, all venicine diet, or all rabbit diet. I am only a week in on the FROMM pork and peas bag so I really donā€™t want to stop that because I would love to see if this works! They suggested either Hills Prescription DD or Royal Canin. Has anyone else tried a novel protein diet?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have three bullies and I feed two of them Fromm HasenDuckenPheffer which is a duck and rabbit protein as one of my babies is highly allergic to everything and needs a novel protein. My other bully gets itchy from it so he is on Zignature Whitefish and is doing great. It is an uphill battle to find the right food. Good luck

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Quick Update; I reached out to Sampsonā€™s vet about his stomach issues and she suggests that he be switched to a novel-protein diet. She suggests switching him to either an all salon diet, all venicine diet, or all rabbit diet. I am only a week in on the FROMM pork and peas bag so I really donā€™t want to stop that because I would love to see if this works! They suggested either Hills Prescription DD or Royal Canin. Has anyone else tried a novel protein diet?
Ok so see my post above. Fromm HasenDuckenPheffer is excellent for allergies. Really Brutus profusely vomits, gets terrible ear infections, and has runny eyes and itchies from everything except this food. I would highly recommend it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Do not feed Hills or Royal Canin. Look at the ingredients and you will see they are all crap. Since you have just started the pork and peas, I personally would stick to that for at least a couple of weeks to see how he does. Jax gets bison and rabbit but he is raw fed. Zignature has a venison and kangaroo and some other proteins that people on here have had luck with. They are a limited ingredient as well.

But for now, I would see how the Fromm goes before you start switching things up again to see if he has any issues.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online