oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Quick Update; I reached out to Sampsonā€™s vet about his stomach issues and she suggests that he be switched to a novel-protein diet. She suggests switching him to either an all salon diet, all venicine diet, or all rabbit diet. I am only a week in on the FROMM pork and peas bag so I really donā€™t want to stop that because I would love to see if this works! They suggested either Hills Prescription DD or Royal Canin. Has anyone else tried a novel protein diet?
Novel protein means something different than what you have been feeding, I assume. I would not feed Hills or RC if it were free. Unless you have noted something adverse with the Fromm P&P you are currently feeding then there is no reason to switch. Pretty much any Fromm food that is well-tolerated by your Bully is good food. We feed Acana Duck and Pear to our Adult dogs and Orijen Puppy to the kids. The advice to feed a single protein at a time is good.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Novel protein means something different than what you have been feeding, I assume. I would not feed Hills or RC if it were free. Unless you have noted something adverse with the Fromm P&P you are currently feeding then there is no reason to switch. Pretty much any Fromm food that is well-tolerated by your Bully is good food. We feed Acana Duck and Pear to our Adult dogs and Orijen Puppy to the kids. The advice to feed a single protein at a time is good.

Novel protein is an uncommon protein like bison, venison, kangaroo, goat, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Weā€™re amost on week 2 of switching foods! I decided to do the transition slower than normal due to Sampsonā€™s stomach issues so weā€™re not completely 100% feeding FROMMs yet. His stomach issues still seem to be happening with the loud gurgling in the morning followed by not eating and feeling well. Does anyone think I should find a second vet and get a second opinion on what might be going on or should I wait this out until he has had some time to adjust to the new food.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
IMO - I would just make the full switch at this point and give it a couple of days to see if stomach settles.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Weā€™re amost on week 2 of switching foods! I decided to do the transition slower than normal due to Sampsonā€™s stomach issues so weā€™re not completely 100% feeding FROMMs yet. His stomach issues still seem to be happening with the loud gurgling in the morning followed by not eating and feeling well. Does anyone think I should find a second vet and get a second opinion on what might be going on or should I wait this out until he has had some time to adjust to the new food.
My Brutus has a very sensitive stomach so when I do a food switch, I always give him a week of boiled sirloin and rice to kind of reset his system and then I start the new food.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have you ever thought of trying: giving a "bedtime" snack at night, so his stomach is not so empty in the morning? Giving him a famotidine a little while before breakfast,to settle his stomach? You may have already done these things but This could be done, no matter what food you decide on.

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
I have not tried either of those things yet! Good idea suggesting the bedtime snack though. Maybe I can give him a little
Bit of food before he goes to sleep because he does sleep a lot and usually
Sleeps from 5:30 at night to 5:30 in the morning haha!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online