BusterTheBulldogg

BusterTheBulldogg

Nov 26, 2017
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I'm going to take him to another vet and get another opinion hopefully they just shave him there, I do think it should be shaved. If not I'm just going to ask if they can do it anyways..or will a groomer do it? I'm too scared to hurt him if I do it myself.

He's 8 months, I feed him open farm dry food turkey/chicken and add ziwipeak air dried lamb meat for more protein. Going to switch him to honest kitchen and keep ziwipeak as toppers

I ordered the ointment not the spray I read some reviews and it seemed like it really worked for them, but who knows?

He's basically a house dog and we never leave the harness on and he pulls so maybe it was just really irritated from this long trip.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm going to take him to another vet and get another opinion hopefully they just shave him there, I do think it should be shaved. If not I'm just going to ask if they can do it anyways..or will a groomer do it? I'm too scared to hurt him if I do it myself.

He's 8 months, I feed him open farm dry food turkey/chicken and add ziwipeak air dried lamb meat for more protein. Going to switch him to honest kitchen and keep ziwipeak as toppers

I ordered the ointment not the spray I read some reviews and it seemed like it really worked for them, but who knows?

He's basically a house dog and we never leave the harness on and he pulls so maybe it was just really irritated from this long trip.

THK is a great choice.... stick with one protein though this way if he has any reactions you can do an easy process of elimination. So if you choose turkey THK, get turkey toppers.
Not sure if a groomer would shave the area or not.... my vet did it the first time we experienced one, after that I had no issue doing them -- I bought clippers just for this purpose and it doesn't hurt them at all. Just take your time, but do what you are comfortable with.

be sure to keep us posted

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Shaving is the correct method. I also have used NuStock and Vetericyn-either/or-- both are good one or the other!. Also 2 remedies to keep on hand. As they are good for many things. @BusterTheBulldogg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you ! I hope he gets better soon. The vet said no baths for 2 weeks to try and keep the area as dry as possible. But maybe after the 2 weeks I'll try that shampoo and maybe it can speed things up

Oh, I realise I didn't explain very well! No bath; we just applied the shampoo on the affected area with a wet sponge, and after ten minutes we removed the shampoo with the wet sponge. This was summer and the weather was good so his skin dried quickly. The vet shaved him and that seemed to be standard procedure with hotspots.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

You're buying way too many products. You're going to get confused with what worked or not. I always use my mixture of oils and works better than any cream my vet gave me. You're feeding your puppy very well. And yes like Christine mentioned stick to one protein per month so you can eliminate the hit list if there is one protein he can't eat.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae Fractionated Coconut Oil. Fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] that's a hot spot at that size???? Kinda hugh for a Hot spot????

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So I just took him to the vet yesterday because I was to scared to remove his hair and I couldn’t see him how he was anymore. The vet just did a medical scrub on the spot and gave him a shot for pain and inflammation, sent us home with antibiotics and a medicated spray. He said he didn’t need to really shave since he has short hair and it would only irritate it more. When we got home he was able to sleep more comfortably and was being more active than he was these past few days so hopefully it only gets better from here. I’m going to take him to another vet today just to make sure everything is fine and get another opinion on the spot. Thanks for the concern ! :)
I find that vets tend to overmedicate. One of my dogs broke her toenail right off and the vet prescribed amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for a week, plus gave her a shot of penicillin. I just gave the amox/clav for 3 days and she was fine. Buy a clipper to have around the house eg. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Pet-Pro-Complete-Pet-Hair-cutting-Clipper-Kit-Model-9281-210-Silver-Black/11035640

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama that's a hot spot at that size???? Kinda hugh for a Hot spot????

yes, they can just continue to spread. lambeau had one at 4 or 5 months old that took up almost his whole back of his neck to the top of his head... happen so fast I couldn't believe how fast. I'll dig up some pictures

OP
BusterTheBulldogg

BusterTheBulldogg

Nov 26, 2017
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Hi everyone sorry I haven't been updating I'm still new to this forum thing:whew: but anyways here's an update on Buster:boogie:
So we initially took him to another vet to get another opinion and they said they couldn't shave him unless they put him under since he wouldn't calm down and they were scared to hurt him any more and also it was going to cost a big penny... so we just took him home and hoped he would get better with antibiotics and they medicated spray they first vet gave us. By the second day the spot started drying up. I'll post a picture I took from day 2 after coming home from the vet and a picture of how he looks now. It's been about 2 weeks now and he has significantly gotten so much better and I couldn't be happier that he's back to his old self he is one tough pup! So we ended up not shaving him - just gave him the antibiotics and used the medicated spray on him while trying to wipe down the area to keep it as clean as we could and that just happened to work for little ol' Buster yaaay, Thanks for the support guys :heart:

Day 2 after the vet - after the medicated scrub down of the area and the ointment they put on, and antibiotics and medicated spray
bbb.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm so glad hes gotton so much better... It's GREAT when things work :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.