6 month Puppy has Diarrhea

Palacesmom

Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Palace
My 6 month puppy has Diarrhea, never has had it before but has had it now for a day. We recently went up on her feeding amount and wondering if that could be the reason. Also she is crated while we work and I moved her crate, same room just another area to make room for Christmas stuff. She still has a normal appetite and is drinking plenty and has plenty energy.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The fact that you have upped her food, could be a factor. Try increasing it gradually. She should be eating 3 times a day. Other possibilities are: needing worming, if she has been somewhere where other dogs have been, giardia. If she is showing no signs of illness, and has had all of her shots, and been wormed, you can give her a tablespoon of pumpkin(just pumpkin-NOT pie mix) on her food. Most likely increased food too much at once,if all else is well. [MENTION=17800]Palacesmom[/MENTION] :welcome2:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Welcome. Too much food can cause loose stool. How much were you feeding and how much did you increase? What are you feeding? Has she been tested for parasites lately?

OP
Palacesmom

Palacesmom

Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Palace
Welcome. Too much food can cause loose stool. How much were you feeding and how much did you increase? What are you feeding? Has she been tested for parasites lately?

She is on a 3 & 1 so I wouldn’t think worms are a factor and was tested early in October. She eats Victor brand and has since she was with a breeder. She was at 2 cups a day 1am 1pm and increased to 3 cups 1&1/2 each feeding. We just increased this past week.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You will try the pumpkin!!

OP
Palacesmom

Palacesmom

Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Palace
I’m really just overwhelmed because her vet just passed unexpectedly on thanksgiving and now she gets sick for the first time ����

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Is there a reason you increased food intake? I would go back to 2 cups a day just to see if that stops the issue. Somewhere on here is a chart with a feeding guideline but I can't seem to find it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I’m really just overwhelmed because her vet just passed unexpectedly on thanksgiving and now she gets sick for the first time ����

Sometimes it can be just the food we feed our dogs. Example, Victor has beef n chicken "meal". Meal basically is over loaded of protein. Like example beef meal contains almost 300% MORE protein than fresh beef/chicken. Too much protein as a kibble can result in loose stools. If you up a cup it can be that. I know "can n if" are big words. I personally would buy a kibble with no meal but fresh. Just a thought.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is on a 3 & 1 so I wouldn’t think worms are a factor and was tested early in October. She eats Victor brand and has since she was with a breeder. She was at 2 cups a day 1am 1pm and increased to 3 cups 1&1/2 each feeding. We just increased this past week.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You will try the pumpkin!!

Hi there... welcome to EBN..... I agree that is a lot of food for her at one time. Cut back a bit and she should be fine

OP
Palacesmom

Palacesmom

Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Palace
Thanks everyone for the advice. My baby had some vomiting last night. She was fine through the middle of the night but with the diarrhea and vomiting I decided to take her to the vet. All is well today. They said it was most likely a lil virus and all the tests were great.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for the advice. My baby had some vomiting last night. She was fine through the middle of the night but with the diarrhea and vomiting I decided to take her to the vet. All is well today. They said it was most likely a lil virus and all the tests were great.

It could definitely be a virus. Same thing happened to Louie a few months ago...vomited a couple times and diarrhea. Had to put him on metronidazole after a week or so as he wasn't getting rid of it himself.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It could definitely be a virus. Same thing happened to Louie a few months ago...vomited a couple times and diarrhea. Had to put him on metronidazole after a week or so as he wasn't getting rid of it himself.

It wouldn't help with a virus- had to be a protozoan or anaerobic bacterial infection to work. eg. clostridia difficile associated diarrhea, giardiasis, colitis aggravated by bacteria. Is Louie on probiotics? If not, he definitely should be. I would also put Palace on a probiotic, eg. Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC.

OP
Palacesmom

Palacesmom

Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Palace

Luckily it only lasted that one day. This was her first time of any kind of sickness so it scared me. But she has just been her normal self since that day. They did put her on the prescription diet, she loves that!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Luckily it only lasted that one day. This was her first time of any kind of sickness so it scared me. But she has just been her normal self since that day. They did put her on the prescription diet, she loves that!!

Those prescription diets are usually poor quality, ie. lots of corn, meat byproducts etc. I would try to get her on a better quality all life stages dog food that is easily tolerated, eg. Zignature limited ingredient Venison or Honest Kitchen Spruce. Later on you can switch her to other foods as well to vary it up.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It wouldn't help with a virus- had to be a protozoan or anaerobic bacterial infection to work. eg. clostridia difficile associated diarrhea, giardiasis, colitis aggravated by bacteria. Is Louie on probiotics? If not, he definitely should be. I would also put Palace on a probiotic, eg. Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC.

This was back in July and he had a bug of some sort. Louie is and has always been on probiotics since day 1.

Members online

No members online now.