URGENT!!! cystine stones

mccaffet

Nov 26, 2017
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
Hi, has anyones bulldog had cystine stones ? my dog hasjust been diagnosed, Alfie has taken to urinating in the house peeing more frequently and sqauting with only dribbles coming out , every morning i get up there are puddles on the floor, this is not his normal behavour as he is fully toilet traned, so i knew something ws wrong , I have been told his diet would need to be changed , he has also started pooing in the house which i dont think has anything to do with it so I dont know whats going on there if it is connected. just looking for some advice ? thanks

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry you're going trough this. Is your boy neutered? The type of Cystinuria bulldogs are affected by is usually corrected simply with neutering.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My boy has cystinuria but no stones yet. He’s only 9 months and will be neutered in January and he should not get any stones as it usually affects mature, in tact males so neutering is supposed to fix the problem as these types of stones are testosterone driven. I assume your boy is not neutered so that should be the first thing you do. Also feed a lower protein diet.
[MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION] has experience and can tell you more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mccaffet

Nov 26, 2017
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
Hi tahnks for replying .No he's not but the vet said she doesn't think it would make much difference, I just wanted to know how long before his urinating will gl back to normal as he is urinating in the house and the dog walker refused to take him now as he keeps everyone behind trying to pee and I have to go to work. complete nightmare

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi tahnks for replying .No he's not but the vet said she doesn't think it would make much difference, I just wanted to know how long before his urinating will gl back to normal as he is urinating in the house and the dog walker refused to take him now as he keeps everyone behind trying to pee and I have to go to work. complete nightmare

Honestly, if your vet said neutering will not make a difference than you need to find a new vet. Cystine stones are a recurring issue and your dog can die from a blockage if left untreated. Sorry, but get him neutered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mccaffet

Nov 26, 2017
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
Hi
thanks for your reply , he is 5 and yes full male , i will be seriously considering this now. Hope everything goes ok with your dog he is very young. I will try low protein diet,

OP
M

mccaffet

Nov 26, 2017
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
Hi,
yes I will look for a bulldog vet to do it , the vet he normally goes to did an ultrasound confirmed he had them but couldn't advise much else apart from changing his diet.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Hi, has anyones bulldog had cystine stones ? my dog hasjust been diagnosed, Alfie has taken to urinating in the house peeing more frequently and sqauting with only dribbles coming out , every morning i get up there are puddles on the floor, this is not his normal behavour as he is fully toilet traned, so i knew something ws wrong , I have been told his diet would need to be changed , he has also started pooing in the house which i dont think has anything to do with it so I dont know whats going on there if it is connected. just looking for some advice ? thanks

Yes Chunky had cystine stones at around 16 months. The vet neutered him and did surgery to remove the stone and all has been well since. He ate easy to digest The Honest Kitchen food for two months after the surgery and has been on reduced protein and cystine foods since then with no further problems. Acana and Zignature have been the brands I have had the best luck finding foods that have lower protein and cystine than the rest. I am not sure what brands are best in the UK though. The vet kept him from for 2.5 days before letting him come home

Neutering him needs to be done from everything I have read. There are some thorough threads on this forum about cystine stones including mine which members helped me with information when Chunky was having issues.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5095776

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Hi,
yes I will look for a bulldog vet to do it , the vet he normally goes to did an ultrasound confirmed he had them but couldn't advise much else apart from changing his diet.

How did the vet figure out it was cystine stones and not a different kind of stone? You can't get figure that out without doing a urinalysis

If that what he has he definitely needs surgery to remove and neutered. I might be wrong on this but I think Cysturinia usually show up around age 1

Most Reactions