jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
My poor pup has been ā€œdancingā€ around trying to itch her rear area. We went to the vet and he said she had a yeast infection in the tail pocket. I got Mal-A-Ket wipes from the vet and Iā€™ve been wiping 2 times a day (went down to one because it seemed to be making her skin raw) for over a weekā€”11 days. Iā€™ve put Butt Paste to keep it dry of some sort. But it doesnā€™t seem to be any better.... any suggestions?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My poor pup has been ā€œdancingā€ around trying to itch her rear area. We went to the vet and he said she had a yeast infection in the tail pocket. I got Mal-A-Ket wipes from the vet and Iā€™ve been wiping 2 times a day (went down to one because it seemed to be making her skin raw) for over a weekā€“11 days. Iā€™ve put Butt Paste to keep it dry of some sort. But it doesnā€™t seem to be any better.... any suggestions?

Jessica, Nyala lives with tail pocket infection if its not clean every 2-3 days. Solution is tail amputation which is not going to happen! This is what I do and IT WORKS!!!! Been a year now and NO problem. Do this mix:

Mix15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. If you cant find Arborvitae get Thuja or cypress and 5-8 drops of Tea Tree. Put all in 2-4 onces of Fractionated*Coconut Oil. Shake well, put surgical glove, dip your wipe in the mix and go as deep as you can in the pocket. At first I wasn't going deep (like 1-2") enough and Nyala had to go back to the vet. Vet said its a good 3" deep! But thats Nyala. Make sure you go in the corners n outside arounf the bones/screw tail part. You will never have issues after that if you do it on regular basis. You will get a lot of hair on your wipe. I use about 3 wipes. This mix is also great for ear infection, rashes, paws etc. BUT DO NOT ADD the tea tree for for ear, rashes n paws as they can like it. Only for the tail !! For the ear, just on a cotton swab and swipe inside. DO NOT poutr in the ear canal! I do once a month for my 2 pups to maintain their ears. Never had issues. My vet took the recipe as she was amazing how Nyala's tail is great.

Oh n no need to dry inside the tail or out just leave it along n it will heal. It will stink a bit but its ok as it's doing its job.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You can also try putting a little bit of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo (eg. Ketohex, Curaseb) mixed with water in a spray bottle, spray forcibly once daily into tail region till liquid coming out is clear. Then dry thoroughly and put on some antibiotic ointment like neosporin, polysporin, silver sulfadiazine, or Nu-Stock. As it gets better switch at end of cleaning to a cream such as Desitin or Zincofax. Do this once daily after a poo, or twice daily if dog poos twice daily.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You also may want to, if not already, make sure the food you feed is potato free...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.