JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
HI,

Our neighbors have a chestnut tree in their backyard that is right on the fence line to our back yard and it drops those stupid little spiky chestnuts into our backyard. I'm super diligent about cleaning them up because they hurt like hell when you step on them and leave little needles in your foot. Well I'm pretty sure Brutus stepped on one, he usually avoids the backyard but with the chipmunks out and about they've been dropping those chestnut casings everywhere. His paw is hurting like crazy. I can see the little needles in it but I can't get them out. Does any one have any ideas on soaking to pull them out? Brutus can't stand his paws being touched or messed with so me using tweezers is out of the question. Even yesterday just looking at it he was throwing a fit but I think it's because it hurts him.
Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Jennie

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Is there anyway you can soak his paw in Epsom salt? Depending on size of needles this should help them work their way out of his paw. Dry gently with a towel. Hopefully this will help pull out the little suckers. Good luck.

Macahmil

Nov 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Maybe if you have someone else in the house have them hold a treat up in their hand and don't let him have it but let him be intrigued by it and like it and such. While you take his paw and pull the thorns out??

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe if you have someone else in the house have them hold a treat up in their hand and don't let him have it but let him be intrigued by it and like it and such. While you take his paw and pull the thorns out??

Yeah my husband held him down yesterday...it's his back paw...he's a kicker. He's not food motivated at all.

Macahmil

Nov 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Really! That shocks me! Well let me know if you find something that works I am not for sure of what else to do. Best of luck to ya and Brutus!

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Is there anyway you can soak his paw in Epsom salt? Depending on size of needles this should help them work their way out of his paw. Dry gently with a towel. Hopefully this will help pull out the little suckers. Good luck.

Cool, I'll try epsom salt. it's his back paw so he will have to be in the bath tub but he loves the bath. I just know tweezing or squeezing is not an option.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Cool, I'll try epsom salt. it's his back paw so he will have to be in the bath tub but he loves the bath. I just know tweezing or squeezing is not an option.

be sure to use warm water... that will help bring them out. let him soak for a good 15-20 mins if you can

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
be sure to use warm water... that will help bring them out. let him soak for a good 15-20 mins if you can
And there is the problem...getting brutus to sit still that long.

If it was his front paw, no problem but this back paw thing is a b*&ch.
I'll do my best. I Just feel awful for him. It's hurting him, my poor boy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
HI,

Our neighbors have a chestnut tree in their backyard that is right on the fence line to our back yard and it drops those stupid little spiky chestnuts into our backyard. I'm super diligent about cleaning them up because they hurt like hell when you step on them and leave little needles in your foot. Well I'm pretty sure Brutus stepped on one, he usually avoids the backyard but with the chipmunks out and about they've been dropping those chestnut casings everywhere. His paw is hurting like crazy. I can see the little needles in it but I can't get them out. Does any one have any ideas on soaking to pull them out? Brutus can't stand his paws being touched or messed with so me using tweezers is out of the question. Even yesterday just looking at it he was throwing a fit but I think it's because it hurts him.
Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Jennie

Funny, driving to work yesterday had the EXACT same conversation issue with my sister's poodles. She has a massive oak tree in her backyard n the squirrels keeps throwing the nuts below or she finds spiked chestnuts or pine cones etc. One of her poodle, Baci, had a tiny spike stuck inside the paw. Baci is pitch black., she went to the vet and they gave her antibiotics as they couldn't see anything but poor little guy was limping. She used a flashlight, husband holding down Baci n she saw way back in the paw/toes a tiny pin sticking out. She removed it n asked me for my recipe I use on Nyala's tail pocket. She used the mix and all disappeared. Her other little 5 pounder always has a bad habit scratching himself as he always has dry skin. She uses same recipe n now scratches less. No more red rashes.

Good soak in Epsom salt n Acv, will also clean the paws.

Mix
15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. If you cant find Arborvitae get Thuja or cypress. Because its the feet n easy access to lick I omitted adding on your list Tea Tree. Not good if they lick that.. put all in 2-4 onces of Fractionated Coconut Oil. Shake well n massage in.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Soaked his paw, he's not a fan. The more i look at it, I think his pad is cracked. I'm going to keep soaking for a few days and see if it gets any better, if not, we are off to the vet. Thanks everyone for your help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Soaked his paw, he's not a fan. The more i look at it, I think his pad is cracked. I'm going to keep soaking for a few days and see if it gets any better, if not, we are off to the vet. Thanks everyone for your help.

Also, try some Musher's Secret after the soak... it is a great paw soother

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.