Bene-Bac and Fastrack Canine Microbial Gel

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I posted a question for some people who may know more about the two of these products. I used Bene-Bac when I brought my pup back from a dog show that she had picked up Coccidia. The breeder found some for me. It helps with vomiting and diarrhea I guess. I just assumed it was for vomiting. But and that the Fastrack was for diarrhea but learned they are basically the same thing...works the same way. If I do recall...Ahsoka can't have the Fastrack due to being MDR1 mutation...and certain drugs effect her differently than other dogs.

But an ASCA affiliate did tell me about the fastrack and it too is good stuff. This sort of explains it more. I asked if I could copy and paste since it was very informative and was given the okay. But I honestly feel...it's something ones need to know about. The "show" folk know about this...and I would think breeders to a point. But...for the common pet household not so much.

I have used bene-bac but not fast trac but they are basically the same as far as I know. They contain beneficial bacteria to help repopulate the gut after illness, and antibiotic use which can destroy those colonies. They are not used for loose stool in the classical case but more as a way to enable the gut for better food utilization which as a side effect commonly helps with loose stools. The way this works as I understand it is that the beneficial bacteria helps with digestion of food and therefor the absorption of nutrients and somewhat can slow down the peristalsis of the gut through less irritation from unbroken/poorly digested food. When you slow down the gut and have less irritation it gives the colon the chance to work properly. The large colon's primary job is the absorption of water. So it the large colon gets the chance to do its job you do not have loose stools. It is a natural response of the body to respond to ingested sometimes perceived irritants (foreign bodies, virus's, bad bacteria, parasites, food allergens, ect) by speeding up the peristalsis of the gut to get it out of the body as quickly as possible to minimize the harm to the body. Loose stools are sometimes a benefit in this case. The problem comes when you have this chronically or in severe acute cases as the animal can dehydrate. Chronic problems to me usually points to two things one is an allergy that has developed to a component of their food. The second is a problem with proper digestion of their food. Very commonly I suggest first addressing the problem (if a vet visit does not point to parasitic disease) with a good probiotic such as benebac, fast trac, primal defense in addition to digestive enzymes. If this does not work after a month then try a elimination diet to determine if you are dealing with a food allergy.

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Re: Bene-Bac and Fastrack® Canine Microbial Gel

Now...the ASCA/Australian Shepherd Club of America's affiliate disagreed here...and stated she uses it for diarrhea in her dogs. But it's an amazing product.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
Re: Bene-Bac and Fastrack® Canine Microbial Gel

Bene-bac is great! I use it for newborns, and when I wean the puppies and when they go home. Any stressful time actually.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.