I've been discouraged, reading some of the articles out there on bulldogs

hoosier89

Nov 10, 2017
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I had a bulldog several years ago. We have been giving a lot of thought lately about getting one. I have done a lot of research and feel the breed would fit our family great. The only concern I have is I have come across several articles stating that it is basically inhumane and immoral to breed or to get a bulldog. They claim that they have been essentially bred to be unhealthy. I kind of find myself between a rock and a hard place. I want to do the right thing (if in fact these articles are being factual and not over exaggerating). But I really want an English bulldog. What would you dedicated breeders and owners say in response to these articles and their claims? And so you know, I am not a troll or anything of that nature. Just genuinely seek truth. Thanks!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You're right that this forum is very disgouraging to read sometimes. Most people come here to get help to the problems they have with their bulldogs. After reading all that, it's very hard to brag how well you're doing yours, if you're in the forum with your healthy bully. There are a lot of bulldogs that are unhealthy and not bred with the breeds future and health in mind, only the money. A lot of people think that health problems are a norm for a bulldog, so they will breed bulldogs with health problems, so they will pass them on to he next generation and the vicious circle is ready. There are plenty of shady breeders here in Finland with about 6 million people in total, so you can do the math.... of how may there must be in the states or in the world as whole. But there is also breeders who love this breed from the bottom of their hearts and do everything they can to make it healthier, no expences saved, and you just have to find one of those. Even they can't promise you a 100% healthy pup, since that is away from out hands, but at least they have done their best to select the dogs that are bred and they don't breed from unhealthy dogs. If I were you I would start from the Bulldog Club of America -page ad check the breeders from there.... no pet shops or people with no affix. If the dogs have been DNA tested for colour only, RUN the other way. Ask and be critical. You will find your pup, but stil the nature can play a trick on you and there can be something wrong with your baby (just like with your human baby), be prepared and do your research.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You're right that this forum is very disgouraging to read sometimes. There are a lot of bulldogs that are unhealthy and not bred with the breeds future and health in mind, only the money. A lot of people think that health problems are a norm for a bulldog, so they will breed bulldogs with health problems, so they will pass them on to he next generation and the vicious circle is ready. There are plenty of shady breeders here in Finland with about 6 million people in total, so you can do the math.... of how may there must be in the states or in the world as whole. But there is also breeders who love this breed from the bottom of their hearts and do everything they can to make it healthier, no expences saved, and you just have to find one of those. Even they can't promise you a 100% healthy pup, since that is away from out hands, but at least they have done their best to select the dogs that are bred and they don't breed from unhealthy dogs. If I were you I would start from the Bulldog Club of America -page ad check the breeders from there.... no pet shops or people with no affix. If the dogs have been DNA tested for colour only, RUN the other way. Ask and be critical. You will find your pup, but stil the nature an paly a trick on you and there can be something wrong with your baby (just like with your human baby), be prepared and do your research.

:bravo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Agree with [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION].

You will find a lot of posts on here about issues and some are common with the breed BUT there are breeders out there who are breeding to better the breed and do all of the necessary health and DNA testing. So while you can never be guaranteed to get a healthy dog from anyone, there are healthy bulldogs out there. You just have to find the right breeder.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think the question of topic starter is not about difficulties she may face having a bulldog, but she asks if it is immoral at all to have a bulldog.
Here is what I think.
Yes, bulldogs were bred in an immoral way, neglecting their health in order to get cute appearances. This is a fact. Till now, HUGE proportion of bulldog puppies come from mills where bitches are treated inhumane, or are product of experiments of breeders, who try to get tricolours, lilac or smaller size bulldog without taking care of health.
These problems will always haunt this breed.
Only you can decide if it is morally acceptable for you or not to get a bulldog taking into account above said.
But!
Can you imagine world without bulldogs?!! Do you want this breed to disappear because it is unhealthy?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Do not buy a pup from someone who is bragging about Rare or Exotic colors.When I found the one I thought was right- I asked for their Veterinarian's name and phone number,which they were happy to give me, and spoke to him about their pups,past pups,grown dogs,and if their were any issues. If they don't want to give out Vet's number-leave!! Do not meet anyone in a parking lot,with a pup. If they have an excuse why you can't come to the house-run! Check out the parents.See if the surroundings are clean,use common sense [MENTION=17769]hoosier89[/MENTION]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I had a whole thing written... and lost it when trying to retrieve this video.

Basically what I was saying was that not only do you need to check out the breeder, but once you get your bulldog home... how you care for them will make a huge difference.

Proper food is key. Don’t ever feed the supermarket crap. Great rule of thumb is if you see it in a commercial on tv, don’t buy it. They spend more on advertising than making quality food. Do your research.

Regular vet checks, proper exercise and mind stimulation are also key. A bored bulldog is a mischievous one.

Keep in mind... you can do everything right and still end up with a bulldog that has issues.

We didn’t know anything about buying a bulldog. Luckily the breeder was legit. She showed us around her house. She showed us the mama bulldog along with the remaining litter. She provided us with the vet info, 3 generations of lineage and photos of the dad (who was at that time the #1 show Dog in Brazil)

Even with all that, we ended up with an epileptic bulldog. When he was 10 months old, he started having grand-mal seizures. Every few weeks it was happening over and over again.

That was 10 years ago. The video was taken last week.
For a senior bulldog with epilepsy, he is extremely happy and otherwise healthy.

https://youtu.be/1zhG2EzZUY4

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had a whole thing written... and lost it when trying to retrieve this video.

Basically what I was saying was that not only do you need to check out the breeder, but once you get your bulldog home... how you care for them will make a huge difference.

Proper food is key. Don’t ever feed the supermarket crap. Great rule of thumb is if you see it in a commercial on tv, don’t buy it. They spend more on advertising than making quality food. Do your research.

Regular vet checks, proper exercise and mind stimulation are also key. A bored bulldog is a mischievous one.

Keep in mind... you can do everything right and still end up with a bulldog that has issues.

We didn’t know anything about buying a bulldog. Luckily the breeder was legit. She showed us around her house. She showed us the mama bulldog along with the remaining litter. She provided us with the vet info, 3 generations of lineage and photos of the dad (who was at that time the #1 show Dog in Brazil)

Even with all that, we ended up with an epileptic bulldog. When he was 10 months old, he started having grand-mal seizures. Every few weeks it was happening over and over again.

That was 10 years ago. The video was taken last week.
For a senior bulldog with epilepsy, he is extremely happy and otherwise healthy.

https://youtu.be/1zhG2EzZUY4

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I think RiiSi and Libra926 have hit it on the head.

I have only had a cherry eye issue with Ftse, but like Cheryl staes its how you look after and feed them which makes a huge difference, I myself wouldn't have any other breed of dog.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
The same can be said about Many Many breeds look at Retrievers/Labs .
I spent almost 2 years looking into the breed , went to places like this one and read and read , interacted with the people here to ask those question . Part of that two years was also talking to breeders in My area with the knowledge I gained.
Asked some of the old-timers here how excited i was yet did not own one still when I finally picked a breeder and a pup out , to keep it short I drove them all crazy lol.
I have had 4 now some have passed but Diva was 12 when she passed , Health issues some but like other breeds I have had nothing huge.
I have lost some young too Tilly just turned 4 she passed from Cancer all dogs can get it as do humans
Do your homework ask a lot of questions like you just did , remember you are online at a location about the breed many many people come here to ask questions from people that have the breed you will see a lot of posts that might seem negative to you a prospective owner you will get that on just about any breed , try reading the owners that have the breed and have had many Bulldogs read there stories also check there pics out .
Take your time picking a good honest caring breeder there out there and remember If it sounds to good to be true it probably is !
Good luck making your choices and let us know how ya make out please

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bulldogs for the most part are very healthy. The key is get a good bloodline from a reputable breeder. We have had English and Frenchies and all of ours have been very healthy. The occasional seasonal allergy will be there with some and not others, but for the most part, they are all good. Do your research, talk to people who have bought from a breeder you are thinking about, or find a rescue and there are plenty of good healthy bullies there who need a loving home.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.